Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Being an old car guy the extended warranty is one of the biggest sucker moves a buyer can make, of course not for the guy or gal that comes under the umbrella of actually being in the position to use one...The odds are tilted way in the warranties favor or they wouldn't be offered. These people arn't in the business to give money away....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Neumann, please update this thread and post details on how your claim goes. MY V10 was over $10,000 as well and took two months for the CEO's approval.

Edit: Post your contract companies name too.
I don't understand how an engine replacement can be that high. A guarnteed rebuilt V10 on Ebay is $3075. The slowest worker in the world should be able to change out a engine in a class A in 2 days. 16 hours at $100= $1600

Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #31

My motor home didn't come with a rebuilt engine. Why would they replace it with one?

Why would I let them replace it with one?

What is the cost of a new crate engine from Ford?

Replacing the engine requires the R&R of the front I-beam axle, wheels, brake calipers, springs, shocks and related components. Can that be done in 16 hours?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #32

I checked my contract and called my service manager. There is nothing in the contract calling for any additional charge for re-inspection. It also does not say that additional parts to enforce the covered part's manufacturer's warranty are not covered. He suggested I call the warranty company.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #33

We bought our first extended warranty with our 08 Alegro Bus. Last week we replaced the cooling unit it our refer cost $ 2150. All couvered by warranty.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Sure appreciate all the food for thought....decisions, decisions...
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
At this point, the only way I'd buy a service contract is by doing homework to the "nth" degree in finding one that would actually pay out under the most likely failures. I think you really have to study the contracts very, very closely to find one that might be a semi-reasonable investment. I would guess that there may be one out there somewhere which might come close to being a decent investment - but I've heard too many horror stories of insurance policies that the companies wiggled out of paying on to be confident in finding a policy that's truly a good "buy".

On the other hand... such a policy is likely to cost perhaps $5k-$9k or so for a 5+ year coverage.

We bought a new 2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT three months ago.

We were talked into buying a service contract from First Extended for something like 8 years, if I recall correctly. For that we paid something like $8k. I got cold feet on that "add-on" to our purchase and cancelled the service contract with a refund coming back. I figure that 8k going into my bank account will probably do me more good than having the contract. I Googled First Extended and read some very negative consumer comments on the company and the coverage... just doesn't sit right with me.

If you can cobble that cabbage up on your own and stash it away... that's a pretty sound self-insurance policy that doesn't cost you a dime. If you don't need it... you're not out a penny. If you do tap into it, you're not likely to be out anymore than you would have been had you bought a policy.

If you do buy a service contract, the real clencher comes when you think you're all safe, cozy, and "covered" but come to find some exclusion, after the fact, which renders you not covered at all. Or you have to do battle with the corporation to try to get them to cover something you thought would be all rosey. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Insurance companies are in the business to take your money with a smile on their face and then do whatever they can, legally, aided by teams of fine-point lawyers and contracts carefully crafted to serve their own interests, to keep from having to pay out a dime.

I would avoid any contract which you don't bird dog to the nth degree and far beyond to be sure you aren't wasting your money. Repairs don't come cheap... but neither do good service contracts. I'd self-insure if you can cobble together the moulah.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jan 08 we bought an 04 monaco monarch with 8.1 gas engine. 13,000 miles. My wife would not let me walk out without a extended warranty. This was in So. Cal where we live. Well that summer we started a ten thousand mile trip and made it to No. Carolina where the engine let go at 19,000 miles. That warranty co spent $14,000. on my new engine. I got lucky with this wife....

Mike
Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
Moho is currently in the shop getting diagnosed. I sure hope the warranty covers the repairs. If warranty does cover the repairs, I will post the amount and what I paid for warranty for comparison.
Service policies are notorious for not paying for repairs. They may say the cause of the microwave problem was the generator and not cover it. They also might want service records on the generator and void any coverage on it for not following the manufacturers recommendations for oil changes, filter changes even not running it often enough.
There are so many ways for them to void the coverage...

There was one case where a wire burned under the hood. The one wire that started the fire was covered, but nothing else.

Another one was a transmission failure, the insurance company demanded the service records and found the owner had missed an engine oil change by 750 miles and voided the policy. He did get his money back, but that was all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #38

I know what you are saying Mr_D, but I don't see how they could verify how often a generator was run. There is no mention of generator maintenance that I could find. The only thing my contract says is that the engine oil be changed every 5,000 miles or 6 months.

It does say I must make available upon request, verifiable signed service/purchase receipts which show that this maintenance was performed within the time and mileage limits. If I do the oil/filter change myself and sign the Autozone receipts is that good enough? Maybe I should take pictures of the dirty filter next to the new one. I'm going to turn on the time/date function of my digital camera and take a picture of the speedo whenever I change oil/filter. I wonder how that applies if a MH sits for 5-6 months a year. Does the oil filter still have to changed as often?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #39

From what I can tell, I have a pretty good service contract with Phoenix American Warranty Company, and is called the RV Elite Service Contract. The contract is issued by National Casualty Company, a member company of Nationwide Insurance and was $4500 for 48/48,000 and has a $100 deductible. I also have the Diamond Coverage which covers any part of the vehicle not excluded from the contract. Other options include Deluxe/Hi-Tech which includes washer/dryer, ice maker, vacuum, etc, air brakes, which I don't have, audio/visual, seals and gaskets, slide-out rooms, and hydraulic/electric leveling systems. I don't speak legalize but I couldn't find any gotchas.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #40

Good sams is a terrible extended warranty service do not buy it
Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every RV generator I've had has had an hour meter on it. So I just look at the meter.

As long as you have receipts for the work or even just the parts/oil if you do the work yourself there shouldn't be any trouble at least as far as factory warranties go. Service policie requirements may be tougher to satisfy even though they shouldn't be.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #42

I have a special folder in my filing cabinet that I put all my MH receipts. I make copies, as some tend to fad after awhile.