Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #15

I didn't get one for my 33' 5er and in 11 years, I never had a problem. Yeah, some minor loose screws, but nothing I couldn't fix.

After my current 4 year warranty expires, I won't renew it. I should have any major bugs worked out. Besides that, the PO should have had anything major fixed.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Appreciate all the feedback guys (and gals). You're echoing alot of the thoughts I'm having on the matter. I DO feel most of the bugs are worked out of the rig after 2 years. Of course you never know, but the first year was the most "buggy" (all covered by the mfr warranty) and the 2nd year every repair we did was not covered by warranty (we had Good Sam's and it certainly did not pay out for us).

Always good to hear people's perspectives and experience on the matter.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
WheelingIt... I've been back and forth on the same question and read quite a few similar threads. There are accounts supportive of self-insuring and those supportive of purchasing ESC's. I've also read accounts of people who bought insurance only to find that the failure they hoped would be covered was somehow excluded from coverage - that would infuriate me just enough to choose self-insurance.

Fortunately, if we had to, we could cover the cost of most repairs that might be needed on our own - for that reason, I'm leaning toward saving the insurance premiums and hoping that those savings would in-full or in-part offset whatever repair costs we may encounter down the road.

We bought our coach new, just a few months ago, and use it almost full-time.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WheelingIt: The "consequential damage" provision is a good one and can prevent heartbreak. Also, you can decline an up-front payment and make monthly payments. Could come in handy if you feel the need to bail out.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #19

When my claim was first filed, an agent called and tried to trick me into saying that an item was pre-existing. I later checked my contract and AZ is the only state that deletes the pre-existing condition clause from the "Exclusions" list. If I did have a pre-existing item and it had been denied, I could have thrown that back in their face. The agent clearly didn't know the contract when he called.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had many customers ask me about an extended warrenty. I told them to do what I always do.I put $5000 dollars in a savings account. I don't touch this money. It stays and collects interest. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have never had a major problem. I have had 5 motorhomes and no engine or transmission problems. Of course I have had water pumps and water heater boards, etc. go bad, but things that are a hundred bucks are so I just pay out of pocket.
The money you pay does not all go to ins. co. The salesman makes a little. The lot makes a lot. (pun intended) and the ins. co gets the rest. They still make a profit. You can see the odds are in your favor.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #21

I read that the salesman can get up to 50% of the selling price of the contract.

With todays interest rates... Ha, you're better off spending it. At least you'll get to enjoy it.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I read that the salesman can get up to 50% of the selling price of the contract.

With todays interest rates... Ha, you're better off spending it. At least you'll get to enjoy it.
you have a point about the interest rates, but I like the idea of having a cushion, just in case.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #23

I have the cushion, but I HATE spending money on things I HAVE to buy. Things like water heaters, washers, dryers, car batteries, etc. I can buy toys all day, but tell me I need a new AC or roof and I flinch.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought my extended warrenty contract with the MH in 11-2008. Have used it a couple of times. Now into my 5th year, 52,000 miles I need a new engine. Cost is over $10,000.
I would say I'm glad I have the contract. But you never know. Lots I can fix myself but not replacing an engine.

Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #25

Read the fine print! What is covered. Only item that could break and make it worth it on mine is the fridge, engine and trans. It now becomes a crap shoot. I usually repair all else. One friend said he plans any repair will cost $1000. I am not sure they are worth it.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #26

Neumann, please update this thread and post details on how your claim goes. MY V10 was over $10,000 as well and took two months for the CEO's approval.

Edit: Post your contract companies name too.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Friend of ours has an extended warranty on the F350 P/U only to have some kind of problem here just the other day. Come to find out the warranty doesn't cover the problem they are having. Cost for the repair $3400. All I can say is that you really have to read the SMALL print. Myself I take my chances.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #28

I've read mine several times, and believe me, if they could get out of the $10K, they would have. They will pay for a new dash AC compressor, but not the expansion valve and dryer that is needed to enforce the Ford warranty($70). Now, they want another $97 to come out and re-inspect it for the fuel pump that is not holding pressure when shut off. I'm gonna see if I can find that in the contract. Don't remember seeing it.