Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Angry AGS "FET fault" message on Magnum Inverter

Hi - we own a Palazzo 33.3 and last night when we pulled into an RV park we got this message "FET fault" message and the red light was on. We tried to reset according to the book, but without any luck. Now we don't have any A/C power, no fridge, no microwave. We are on our way to a CW, but thought I would check with our friends here to see if there any suggestions. Thanks!!
MKeilbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

I have had my Magnum inverter display a similar fault. It happened after driving all day through a very hot area. My suspicion is that the unit overtemped to protect itself due to inadequate ventilation. The factory install is in a relatively small enclosed compartment. Not optimum IMO. In my case I disconnected the DC input for about 15 seconds and then reconnected. That cleared the fault and it has been fine since.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for the quick response.... trying to find the DC in put now...
Old 08-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKeilbach View Post
Hi - we own a Palazzo 33.3 and last night when we pulled into an RV park we got this message "FET fault" message and the red light was on. We tried to reset according to the book, but without any luck. Now we don't have any A/C power, no fridge, no microwave. We are on our way to a CW, but thought I would check with our friends here to see if there any suggestions. Thanks!!
No power at all? Even when connected to shore power or running the generator?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Right - no power at all even when we were connected to shore power. We put the AGS in test mode to figure what was wrong and tried to manually start the generator but we couldn't get it started either.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

My inverter tripped a while back. I reset the small breaker switch & turned the inverter on, nothing. Did this a couple times & while I was standing in the door I happened to look at the switches next to the passenger footwell. For some reason I pressed the battery isolation/salesman switch & everything came back to life. Might be worth a try to see if this helps you.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The Magnum manual says that an FET fault is overheated FETs (solid state components inside) and that a manual reset will be needed on some models. As near as I can tell, a "manual reset" always means to remove all power, 120vac and battery, from both the inverter and the remote display if you have one. Unplug shore power and remove the battery cable. The operator manual for your Magnum model should cover the reset procedures, both standard (using the buttons) and "manual".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
You can check the temps of the FETS, battery, and the transformer by using the controls on the remote.

A reset can be done by removing the telephone like plug from the inverter and then reconnecting
Old 08-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You can check the temps of the FETS, battery, and the transformer by using the controls on the remote.

A reset can be done by removing the telephone like plug from the inverter and then reconnecting
We pulled into a CW and a nice technician showed us how to pull power which reset everything. Thanks for everyone's input... Now we are having problems with the generator :-( not starting... getting the dreaded code 17 which I believe it means the pump needs to be replaced...
Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #10
YC1

That is great. Please tell us the procedure.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #11

On my coach there's a doc disconnect switch for the inverter. Turn it off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on. Reset
Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
That is great. Please tell us the procedure.
To complete remove DC power (which is what the manual said to do), we had to remove the DC terminal which was located in the compartment where the inverter is located. The technician used a 1/2 wrench, removed the terminal for about 60 seconds and then reattached. The AGS immediately reset itself. Tada!!

Tags
inverter