Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #43

Here's the pics of the front suspension and of the Hellwig buggy spring..I tried to capture an image of the brochure but it wouldn't come out clear. If you wish to spend the time, look in the National forum for brochures, look up the 97 Seabreeze and on the options page you will see it listed for the coach. Btw, the sway bar bushings are missing, I took wat was left of them out, and bolted it back together in case I had to move it to mow before the new bushings arrive.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-12 16.41.45.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	24762  
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I Have never seen that suspension mod before. The coils do not even look like OEM. Cant see well enough to count the coils so they could be. Most aftermarket have heavier steel and fewer coils.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #45

I never had either until I sold a 37'Dolphin off our lot and it had the same Hellwig setup. I also thought the previous owner had added it.I never investigated it any further until the next year when I bought this Seabreeze and found out that National installed them on 33' and larger on the Chevy chassis. As best I can tell the springs are original. My dealership sold it new, took it on trade, sold it again, took it in again, and then I bought it. Both previous owners I have contact with, and they were both meticulous on their record keeping so I have most of the receipts as well as dealer service records since it was new for anything we have done to it. The bell cranks and ball joints are new, the roof on it is 6 yrs old....its been very well maintained compared to many newer coaches we get in on trade, I'd have been a fool to not have purchased it.... I absolutely love that lil ol thing !
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Been looking around the used RV market the better part of 5+ years. Most Chevys with IFS sit pretty darn low and without the airbags have the bumpstops riding on the frame.
Spring fatigue is not uncommon and really should be addressed before continously putting "bandaids" to cure a real suspension issue.

A set of proper rated coil springs might sell for $400. Labor should be 2-4hrs TOPS. YOu can add airbags once you have the proper weight coils for your application if you wanted additional load capacity.
You are mistaken. Springs and airbags do not change the load rating of the suspension. If that were the case one could modify a Toyota to carry a ten ton load simply by adding heavy springs.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
You are mistaken. Springs and airbags do not change the load rating of the suspension. If that were the case one could modify a Toyota to carry a ten ton load simply by adding heavy springs.
Had a MH overbuilt (weight) on a Toyota chassis. Used the bags to raise the sagging rear end. They did not correct the overweight and rubbing of the inside tire walls (duals). Narrow tires corrected that but I was still overloaded for the chassis.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #48

I replaced mine last year and was less than $100. It takes alot of pushing and soapy water but was done in 2 hours. Took longer to run and mount the tubing. going to the bag.
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement