Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Air bag suspension questions

Disclaimer: this is my first RV and the Air Bags were installed by the previous owner.

I am trying to figure out a good starting point for the air bags on my RV

I am towing a trailer that weighs about 5000lbs.

I have only driven the RV twice once completed unloaded with no trailer and the second time was with the RV loaded and trailer attached. I inflated the air bags to 50psi when I was towing.

The problem is I don’t know the difference between no air, 50 psi or 100 psi because I have nothing to compare it to.

I have the Firestone Ride Rite air bags

If any additional information is need please let me know.

-twitch- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dont know how much air will work best, but they dont recomend you run them with less than 10psi in them.

Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
assuming you are talking about supplementary air bags in the rear....

You need whatever air pressure is required to keep the motorhome level. no more no less.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
assuming you are talking about supplementary air bags in the rear....

You need whatever air pressure is required to keep the motorhome level. no more no less.
x2. That is exactly what my owners manual says, keep the coach level. I run 60-65 PS I with out towing anything. But yours may differ. My owners manual says to park on a level surface and measure front to rear and rear side to rear side. Should be even at all points.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Air bags were placed on coil spring frames to help stabilize the front end. I too have them. They handle about a 500 pound load and work like you have stated. At about 60 pounds you are in the proper range for the air bag to work properly. I have an older P30 chassis (Fleetwood bounder) which was notorious for over the road stability issues. With a bit of tweaking, Koni shocks and stability helpers I was able to make the RV ride like a whole different animal. The air bags are still integral at minimizing the up and down travel on my suspension but the stability control and improved Koni shocks keep the vehicle driving straight as Semis pass or in the wind. If you would like to chat more about suspension I would be happy to get into a bit of back and forth banter.... I love working on the older models and often suspension improvements lead to a new love for traveling.
Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
My approach is to measure the height of the rear bumper empty and then use the bags to bring the rig back to the same height loaded. I have a variety of draw bars so I use the one that let's me level the trailer.

The installation instructions say that you may not be able to run the same pressure in both sides and still be able to properly level the truck.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
have any of you heard of replacing the airbag assist front suspension with a heavier duty spring eliminating the airbag all together? The airbags in my Bounder are shot and while shopping around to find out where to get them replaced, I was told my three different places that they recommend not replacing the airbags and doing just the heavier spring. Then, they say, your never have to replace the springs again. Anyone hear anything to that nature?
jrjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Years back I did that on a Georgieboy. It drove and rode a lot better. I say do it.

stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote