Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Air bags down. Stuck at campground -- sort of

I just arrived at a campground near Dallas and when we were a few miles out we felt a rough ride. At campground I find the rear air suspension down. The rubber boot at the end of the ride control valve arm was broken. I taped back into position and started coach. I get air pressure and brakes but no air to suspension. I had let front air out when I used levelers. I had the air level controller replaced along with rear airbags before starting this trip out west. We are four weeks out. The rubber at end of ride height adjuster was all torn , probably from a few weeks of large bumps.

I am going to talk to Spartan and look for a truck repair that knows of RV,'s.

The coach is a 2000 American eagle on a spartan MM chassis.

Does anyone have any schematics of air suspension. System/ rear air leveler

Or other info on air suspension.

I was told by by dealer that replaced rear level valve that if they over travel it can kill the valve? Thoughts ???

I was planning to be here for three days, So not really stuck here yet.

Thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm puzzled that the rubber boot on the end of the lever for the ride height valve would tear, it should have been replaced with the new valve. Sounds like the valve is bad and not allowing airing up the bags. I'd get a new ride height valve and see if that solves the issue. They are available at many truck stops or truck parts stores. You know that driving with bags un inflated can cause damage to drive shaft U joints, Either repair in place or have it towed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I have solved the air bag issue with the help of Spartan. Charlie in customer service was excellent. The reason the P rubber boot tore is unknown. The reason the air bags would not inflate was the dump valve. The dump valve actually back feeds air to the levelers and prevents the air bags from inflating. Charlie had me remove the air supply to the dump valve as a temporary issue. The coach now airs up. WHen back in Florida I will investigate whether the Power gears levelers are not sending the signal to the valve or whether the valve is malfunctioning. Support of Spartan and Fletwood was a definite reason I choose the American Eagle. Great help by Spartan as I called them about four times as they walked me through what to check

Thanks Spartan.

Dale G
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
I have solved the air bag issue with the help of Spartan. Charlie in customer service was excellent. The reason the P rubber boot tore is unknown. ....................
Charlie is indeed a great resource. I've got him on speed dial.
May I suggest that you get a couple of those rubber "P's" to keep in your parts box. Also suggest a spare conneting rod too.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #5

There is also a detent on the dump solenoid on the top right hand side that you can press to manually switch it from dump mode.
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm puzzled that the rubber boot on the end of the lever for the ride height valve would tear, it should have been replaced with the new valve. Sounds like the valve is bad and not allowing airing up the bags. I'd get a new ride height valve and see if that solves the issue. They are available at many truck stops or truck parts stores. You know that driving with bags un inflated can cause damage to drive shaft U joints, Either repair in place or have it towed.
Can also damage the transmission output seal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground