Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Air Bags or Sumo Springs???

I would like to improve the ride of our 35' Adventurer on the Ford chassis.

I like the idea of air bags, but do they really need to be deflated when we use the jacks?

The Sumo Springs are simpler, but some say the ride is firmer. I don't want a harsher ride, if that's what it is.

What are your experiences?
Thanks, Richard
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What type of ride improvements are you trying to achieve? If you want your coach to ride like a diesel pusher, it isn't going to happen with Sumo Springs or airbags as truck springs are truck springs. You can cut down on sway by doing the CHF and adding a rear sway bar; you can smooth things out a bit with new shocks; and so on. There is a new rear suspension system (Liquid Springs) that shows some promise but it is a tad expensive.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Richard & Donna! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't really answer your question. Our coach has 8 air bags, which are also used to leveling. We love the ride! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Check out the review by RVLove on their YouTube channel. He had them installed on his gas Tiffin and did a before and after comparison.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

We have sumo's on our coach for two years now.20,000 miles, and couldn't be happier.I just watched the video that was mentioned above,and agree with everything he said.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

A lot depends on how close your coach's actual fully loaded weight is to the rated GVWR of the chassis. Some manufacturers have models where those weights are very close to where the chassis manufacturer has rated the maximum GVWR. On those models there can be some benefit from sumo springs or air bags.

Generally ride problems fall into two categories; a rather indecisive or uncontrolled ride, (overloaded chassis) or a ride that is overly harsh (shaking and rattling on bad road surfaces, potholes, bridge abutments, etc.). Overloaded chassis symptoms will receive some benefit from air bags and sumo springs. Ride harshness will receive much less benefit. The Ford F53 chassis comes with very high rate leaf springs (stiff, low travel) and when not loaded to near capacity they send all road imperfections into the coach and shake and rattle it to pieces. This is what is referred to as ride harshness. When air bags or sumo springs are added to already stiff springs, capacity is increased and the only real relief you will receive is from the amount of ride height the added components give you. Depending on coach design, additional ride height is not that desirable.

When we first acquired our 2006 Winnebago 29r it had new tires, fresh alignment, poly sway bar links, and front track bar. We were impressed with the ride and handling, and then one day we hit a road in need of repair. It seemed like everything was going to shake apart. We just chalked it up to a bad road, but soon found out that we would find bad road sections on almost every trip. After many weeks of research we chose to invest into a Kelderman two stage air suspension system on both the front and rear axles.
On the front axle they removed the high rate two leaf heavy duty leaf springs and replaced them with lower rate multi leaf, leaf springs with about 60% of the value and added air bags to make up the difference. On the rear axle they removed the rear shackle on the leaf spring from the chassis frame and attached the rear of the spring to framework that is suspended with air bags.

The difference in ride harshness is amazing and equally so is the quiet ride. We no longer have to rescue the Garmin and it's sand bag setting on the dash and now run the sound system about 5 or 6 clicks lower than before.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

When i put sumos on my 35’ fleetwood it did help the sway and made it a former ride. My wife feels the sumos made our coach pretty harsh over bumps in the road.

Personally. I’d try putting a set on the front and see how that effects the ride before you put them on the back.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #8

Campering,
Although much more expensive, it seems that the Kelderman system is much more of a cure for the rough ride of an F53.
The other airbag manufacturers have problems with motorhomes when we jack them up in unlevel campgounds. It seems the airbags should not be stretched like that.
Do the Kelerman's have a problem with jacking, to the point of lifting the front wheel off the ground?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking421 View Post
Campering,
Although much more expensive, it seems that the Kelderman system is much more of a cure for the rough ride of an F53.
The other airbag manufacturers have problems with motorhomes when we jack them up in unlevel campgounds. It seems the airbags should not be stretched like that.
Do the Kelerman's have a problem with jacking, to the point of lifting the front wheel off the ground?
We have been in a spot twice since putting on the Kelderman system where the front axle came off the ground with no problem for the air bags. Another time one of the rear tires was nearly off the ground (we moved) and no problems then either.

Yes, the Kelderman system is a little pricey, but I think it is far less expensive than destroying the entire interior of the chassis, and in the big picture Motor Homes are pricey to begin with, but deliver a lot of enjoyment. The relative value in comfort and enjoyment the Kelderman system brings is well worth the price to me.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

Thanks to all of you for your excellent advice.
Still deciding what to do.

Probably not going diesel......yet.

Richard
Old 11-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

New Michelins and Air Ride air bags front & rear

My Georgetown 373 DS rides much softer and quieter on the new Michelins along with front and rear air bags. As for leveling with airbags, I do not use the auto level feature. I manually level so I can control the stretch of the air bags.
I also just had a front end alignment which made a big difference in the wandering and steering stability. Might forego the Bilstein damper now.
Happy camping!!
dpcook66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #12

Liquid Springs is another option to research... The concept is not new, but it is a newer F53 product... (I believe!)

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Liquid Springs is another option to research... The concept is not new, but it is a newer F53 product... (I believe!)

Best of luck,
Smitty
Liquid springs are a trailing arm style air bag system. Not unlike Kelderman's four link air bag system (different than their two stage air bag system). Liquid springs I believe are only available for the rear axle and on the F53 chassis motor home there is at least as great a need for front axle harshness reduction.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
2011 sightseer 32 ft. Love my sumo springs. Get the track steer also. Also Michelin tires help
Msky47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air