Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
TGR

Air Bags vs Sumo Springs on gas Class A

Hello

Thinking about improving the ride, and wondered if anyone can share their experiences with adding air bags or sumo springs to a gas class A.

Thanks
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
1. Have the front end aligned
2. Do the "cheap handling fix"
3. Install Koni FSD shocks
4. Install a steering stabilizer

Then drive it for a while and decide if it needs George upgrades. A rear track bar would be #5. I'm assuming your coach came with the large rear sway bar.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I added airbags after both the CHF and Koni shocks all around. Some improvement but the CHF and shocks were both a much greater change for the better based on cost. Airbags work best to regain correct ride height after loading or if the suspension is starting to sag. 1/3 of my coach and all my liquid load is hang behind my rear axle so the back end of the coach does have a tendency to squat which the airbags corrected.

If you're just looking for potential ride improvement go with Sumo's. Not sure what the cost comparison might be (I spent around $800 for bags and onboard air) but airbags due require a certain level of attention regarding maintaining desired air pressure. You can try and fine tune bag pressure in search of a better ride, which I have but the results were inconclusive. I would think Sumo's are install and forget.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
1. Have the front end aligned
2. Do the "cheap handling fix"
3. Install Koni FSD shocks
4. Install a steering stabilizer

Then drive it for a while and decide if it needs George upgrades. A rear track bar would be #5. I'm assuming your coach came with the large rear sway bar.
I have all of the above. I would rate #5 as a high priority. Tail wag can be a real problem. In my ACE 30.1 all of the tanks are behind the rear axel. Rear track bar made the push and suck from passing trucks all but go away. Koni's made a major improvement in reducing porpoising.

I'm planing on adding Sumo's in the spring. We drive quite bit of mountain roads and sway is still a pretty big issue. When the yellow squiggly sign says 40MPH, it really means 35 or less for us.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

Summo's are a maintenance free addition and often make a noticeable improvement in ride. You will need to install a ping tank with the add-on type air bags if want them to ride comfortably. Google "air ride ping tank" and you will find explanations on how they work and the benefits.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Sumo's

I have swayed and sumo'd my 2015 Vista 31KE. She still launches on bridge transitions and other nasty road stuff, but the landing is soft, spongy... and wonderful... no crashes in the house!

I put the sways on at the same time so I cannot tell you with clarity on the side tip or entering driveways if it is the sways or the sumo's that help me the most.

But on the highway, sumo's are a significant improvement. Easy and simple to install, no electronics or long term stuff to worry about.

for what its worth.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #7

Have SUMO’s - ride still jarring my fillings loose ??

Installed SUMO’s when we took delivery on new 2016 Fleetwood Storm. Still a lot of crashing & banging going on while traveling down the roads. Also, what’s the difference between a rear sway bar and the CHF? I thought they do the same thing... reduce the push and suck from passing trucks...???
TomMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #8

CHF? Acronym for.
Thanks
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cheap Handling Fix = changing the factory mounting points on the stock sway bars to provide more sway control. Cheap because there are no parts and minimal labor involved.

The move changes the geometry of the existing sway bar system to apply more twist to the sway bar for a given amount of suspension travel.

An aftermarket rear sway bar should provide more sway control than the CHF. It also costs more in parts and labor.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #10

Clarification ???

So, if I understand correctly CHF is simply a “cheaper” way to accomplish what purchasing sway bars and parts... ? I read somewhere in the IRV2 forum that the 2016 Fleetwood Storm had beefed up the factory sway bars. Anyone know that for a fact?

Are there both front and rear sway bar adjustments you can make...?
TomMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
So, if I understand correctly CHF is simply a “cheaper” way to accomplish what purchasing sway bars and parts... ? I read somewhere in the IRV2 forum that the 2016 Fleetwood Storm had beefed up the factory sway bars. Anyone know that for a fact?

Are there both front and rear sway bar adjustments you can make...?
Tom, the CHF will not take the place of large anti-sway bars but will improve the handling of the coach. On my Precept I have both front and rear stabilizer bars and did the CHF on both. The Precept also came with a front and a quite substantial rear sway bar that was on the ford chassis and no upgrade was needed by Jayco. Your chassis should be the same as mine and there is a PDF available online of the chassis specifications and components. I am quite happy with my suspension upgrades and don't know if adding a rear trac bar is necessary (or be worth the $450).
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #12

The CHF is like using a pipe on a breaker bar, but in reverse. The shorter the lever, the more force it requires to move it. The biggest improvement that can be made is a rear track bar, then CHF. You can make a choice if you need more after you drive it like that for a while. Air bags and Somos add spring rate to the leaf springs, which they need on a Ford chassis. The difference is air bags are active, if you have an onboard compresser, and somos/Timbrens are static. If you have a sag, you must level the MH at installation of the static system. If you do not have a front track bar, you will need it also. This is the order in which you should be adding items for ride/handling improvements.
wildmanbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #13

My 2015 F53 chassis came with front sway bar, rear sway bar, and front track bar.

Things I did in the order I did them:

1. Weighed coach and checked tire pressures, coach sticker PSI was correct, dealer had over inflated tires by 20 PSI.

2. Checked alignment, in spec, needed no adjustment.

3. CHF Cheap handling fix, that is, changed link attachment points on front and rear sway bars to increase effect of sway bars. Effect was reduction in roll when entering driveways , curves, turns, etc. Little effect on push from passing trucks.

4. Added rear track bar. Huge improvement to push from trucks, almost completely eliminated push.

5. Added steering stabilizer. Little effect other than reduction in "sawing" of steering wheel. Sawing being the constant clockwise/counter clockwise movement of the steering wheel. Reduced driving fatigue quite a bit, which made it worth while for me.

Considering adding Sumo Maxims. Looking to reduce jarring from road seams and transitions. Not sure if they will help that.

Link to youtube video I posted showing handling after modifications:

Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #14

Triplewide has the usual response on handling improvements. The jarring ride is from the springs hitting the bump stops. If you check your loaded MH, you will find very little distance between the springs and the bump stops. Sumos/Timbrens will stop this jarring as they eliminate the gap between the springs and replace the bump stops. This gives a more settling ride/drive, but will not do anything for BAD ROADS. Track Bars will make the biggest improvememt in driving/handling. The Ford springs are 43" eye to eye, and have a large rubber bushing. This allows the house part to move around above the axles from road conditions or wind. The track bar locks the axle under the frame.
wildmanbaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, class a, gas