Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

Air brake issue or not?

Hi all,
Just wanted first to say I love this forum and learn so much from reading all the posts. Thank for all the help.
I just finished winterizing and moved the MH back to her resting site. The temperature is now getting cold here. When I drove my 2005 Holiday Rambler Septer around 5 miles and parked the unit, the parking break handle had some air bleeding sound coming from it which I never heard before. The pressure was over the usual 120lbs, actually was at about 130lbs. I figured it was just bleeding off the excess pressure. I know it was making the hissing sound from just under the parking break handle because when I placed some pressure laterally on the handle the sound stopped or change in its intensity.The air leak continued until I activated the break pedal and blew off the pressure to below the 120lbs. Is there a release value that is stuck some where that ordinarily releases the excess pressure, or is this normal? Do I have a leaky seal within the piston of the parking break handle? I am concerned because I don't remember hearing this leak before, as well as the fact we're talking about the breaks. Any feedback. Thanks in advance.
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Jmaror

I had the same air issue with my parking brake. It was the rear air brake canister's diaphragm leaking.

Mike
2001 Newmar KADP 4084 on a Spartan MM chassis
Mike2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

thanks mike but the leak stops when the pressure drops to 120lbs. as is it is acting as the pressure release valve. It does not continue to lose air once it reaches the 120 mark
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Mike 2007 has it right! A spring brake diaphragm is letting go. Best have checked out!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If it is leaking outside by the brake actuators, you have a diaphragm going bad in the actuator. This will not cause a loss of braking, but it will cause the rear emergency brake to apply unexpectedly or the safer action they will not release. This will not allow you to release the brakes and move the coach.
The pressure is perfectly normal and is controlled by the compressor mounted governor. No system made will use a pressure safety valve to control pressure. they are safety devices only.
If the leak is in the drivers control valve it will have to be replaced. I do not know if the newer valves can be rebuilt now days or not. Use to be able to just disassemble the valve and replace the rubber parts inside. Probably not cost effective now days to pay shop rates to rebuild a relatively cheap part. Good luck and be safe. Ed

Tags
brake