Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
Just a guess: If you have an air pressure operated step well cover, it may be the adjustable mac valve that moves the step well cover. Mine does not have a knob, but has an adjustment screw instead.

Fred
You know what,that makes alot of sense.you are probably right because i cant see it having anything todo with the air ride or brakes.plus it looks like we have the same chassis and motor.i just dont know why it is designed to constantly let air out of the knob.i looked at it closer and just under the knob there is a hole drilled in it so i have to think this is per design and not faulty.not that big of deal but the constant hissing is annoying expecially when you shut everything down and its quit,the hissing continues until the air tank is empty i am guessing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #16

I do not think this is "by design". I don't think anything on an air brake/air accessory system should leak air except the purge valve when the compressor turns off. Try to cycle it a few times with knob adjustment, or try to find a replacement and change it.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 2002, when I release the parking brake and put it in gear, the bags will inflate automatically, drawing air from the rear tanks. I think your system is operating normally.
This is a safety feature preventing you from moving it without air in the bags. Freightliner chassis on my rig doesn't like to be moved before the drive shaft is in the proper alignment.
Richard
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner
On my 2002, when I release the parking brake and put it in gear, the bags will inflate automatically, drawing air from the rear tanks. I think your system is operating normally.
This is a safety feature preventing you from moving it without air in the bags. Freightliner chassis on my rig doesn't like to be moved before the drive shaft is in the proper alignment.
Richard
Richard.....this sounds very odd? Why would you release the parking brake & put it in gear...before the suspension is "aired-up"? If the suspension is drawing air from your rear tank....is this not compromising your brakes? Do you sit (idle) in gear while the suspension airs and then wait for the tank to refill before you move? Not saying this is not the correct procedure for your Coach...just seems odd? On my Spartan Chassis you start the engine...parking brake engaged...the compressor kicks-in & fills the suspension first and then airs-up both tanks to around 130 psi & the cut-off kicks-in. At this point I'm good to go.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Richard.....this sounds very odd? Why would you release the parking brake & put it in gear...before the suspension is "aired-up"? If the suspension is drawing air from your rear tank....is this not compromising your brakes? Do you sit (idle) in gear while the suspension airs and then wait for the tank to refill before you move? Not saying this is not the correct procedure for your Coach...just seems odd? On my Spartan Chassis you start the engine...parking brake engaged...the compressor kicks-in & fills the suspension first and then airs-up both tanks to around 130 psi & the cut-off kicks-in. At this point I'm good to go.
Putting it in gear is not my normal "modus operendi". I normally start the engine and store the jacks. When the air tanks purge, I push the "rabbit" button on the HWH panel and the bags will inflate and take air from the tank but it will never go to critical air. I found out about the auto inflate when putting it in gear to move the coach just a few feet and didn't feel the need, or maybe I forgot, to inflate the bags. A chime went off and the bags inflated on their own. I later learned that it was to protect the drive line from damage. What you describe makes me curious as you say you won't be able to just start the engine without the bags inflating?
Richard
Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner

Putting it in gear is not my normal "modus operendi". I normally start the engine and store the jacks. When the air tanks purge, I push the "rabbit" button on the HWH panel and the bags will inflate and take air from the tank but it will never go to critical air. I found out about the auto inflate when putting it in gear to move the coach just a few feet and didn't feel the need, or maybe I forgot, to inflate the bags. A chime went off and the bags inflated on their own. I later learned that it was to protect the drive line from damage. What you describe makes me curious as you say you won't be able to just start the engine without the bags inflating?
Richard
Richard....you are probably correct...,I imagine I can start my Coach without the suspension airing-up...I just never do. I think the air suspension takes it's cue from the jacks. If the jacks are still deployed the suspension would not air-up.

I do not need to start my Coach to raise the HWH jacks .... just need to turn on the acc. As a result, I retract the jacks before I start the Coach & then, start the engine, the suspension airs-up...followed by the brakes. Pretty much the same procedure as your Coach, with a slight twist.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234

Richard....you are probably correct...,I imagine I can start my Coach without the suspension airing-up...I just never do. I think the air suspension takes it's cue from the jacks. If the jacks are still deployed the suspension would not air-up.

I do not need to start my Coach to raise the HWH jacks .... just need to turn on the acc. As a result, I retract the jacks before I start the Coach & then, start the engine, the suspension airs-up...followed by the brakes. Pretty much the same procedure as your Coach, with a slight twist.
Sorry....I forgot to add... If I start my engine prior to retracting the jacks, I have to listen to the incessant "howl" of the jacks down alarm until the jacks fully retract..... on acc. this does not occur.....helps with my sanity!

Tags
brake