Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That's what I do. Just don't lift the back tires up without chocks which I always carry.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What ever happened to just dumping your air tanks before getting under? Once you dump your tanks it doesn't matter what happens to the parking brake valve.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
What ever happened to just dumping your air tanks before getting under? Once you dump your tanks it doesn't matter what happens to the parking brake valve.

For me, too time consuming to dump tanks or chock tires at every stop. 3 second snap and I should be safe from rolling across the street.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #18

I don't understand the issue. The old mid '70s Fords that used the lever valve could be released with 1 finger, but all the button ones I have been around took quite a bit of force to push it in. Now if the valve was mounted so she could step on and push straight down, my 70+ lb golden doodle might push it, but not likely if there is enough air pressure to release the brakes...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I don't understand the issue. The old mid '70s Fords that used the lever valve could be released with 1 finger, but all the button ones I have been around took quite a bit of force to push it in. Now if the valve was mounted so she could step on and push straight down, my 70+ lb golden doodle might push it, but not likely if there is enough air pressure to release the brakes...

On my particular coach, the valve is facing up, around where your elbow would go when you lean out the driver window to communicate with someone outside. Poor design if you ask me. I will do a weight test when I get home to see how many pounds it would take to push the valve down, I only need to use my thumb and the brakes are released. In my mind, there are many different scenarios throughout a trip where the brakes are applied with individuals inside, while I am outside, even though I have warned my family over and over how the brake release and HWH system are off-limits, I still always was a bit leery of losing that control. For me it’s like using a jackstand when you’re probably not even going to need to use it.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #20

One of those spring wood clamps may work well. Drill a hole between shoes for shaft. Maybe trim shoes down to fit and cut notch for the part of button the locks to shaft.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #21

I'm with dumping the tanks. Does not get safer than that. That is what I would do if I was concerned. No pressure means brakes applied and cant be released.

Pretty easy to do only takes a few seconds pumping the brake peddle before going under.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #22

Make one of these out of PVC pipe, drill the holes for a padlock shank, easy, cheap, prevents accidental release.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
One of those spring wood clamps may work well. Drill a hole between shoes for shaft. Maybe trim shoes down to fit and cut notch for the part of button the locks to shaft.

Yes, many items would work well.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
I'm with dumping the tanks. Does not get safer than that. That is what I would do if I was concerned. No pressure means brakes applied and cant be released.

Pretty easy to do only takes a few seconds pumping the brake peddle before going under.

I guess I meant I wanted something to use quickly when I stop for fuel or dinner or a rest area, to keep accidental use from happening while I’m outside the couch. I typically just chalk the tires when it’s going to be sitting for longer periods than that.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Make one of these out of PVC pipe, drill the holes for a padlock shank, easy, cheap, prevents accidental release.

That works.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you park it and want it to stay there a while, He is what to do.

1 set park brake

2 shut off engine with key.

3 pump the brake pedal till pressure is at Zero.

If you REALLY NEED to be under it running, you NEED wheel chocks.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I use a large plastic clothes pin. It clips onto the parking brake shaft and stays put. It prevents the accidental release. It's also easy to take off when leaving.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I use a large plastic clothes pin. It clips onto the parking brake shaft and stays put. It prevents the accidental release. It's also easy to take off when leaving.

I was thinking a wood clothespin would fit perfect in mine but was worried it would be too curious of a device for my children. I guess my theory is if the right product is available and looks more pprofessional I will useit, it’s not as if I bought a couch to save money.

Thanks

Tags
air, brake, safety