Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Air Brakes

I need you guys to explain hoe the air brakes works,You park,engauge your brake,then dump your air,Do you not have to have air pressure to keep them engauged.I am completely new to air brakes.

Thanks for the help
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #2

The rear brake chambers have a strong spring in them that holds your brakes on when air is released from them. the spring looks like a car coil spring very strong.
Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

You need air pressure to APPLY the rig service brakes, the brake pedal, and you need air pressure to RELEASE your emergency brakes. As Fkrel said, the emergency is applied by a heavy spring in each of the rear emergency brake cans. Comes on when air pressure drops below 40 -45psi. When you dump the suspension in prep for leveling, you only dump air out of the air bags that act as springs. The brake system still has air in the air tanks. In an emergency you could release your emergency, and actually drive with the suspension down, you'd still have service brakes. Of course it's not recommended.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

As has been said your parking brake is spring activated and air released. If for some reason you lost your air driving down the road the parking brake would activate as there is no air holding it off. This is separate from your service brakes which can be either air brakes, air over hydraulic or hydraulic. You need to get the chassis info for your coach to understand how yours is set up.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
You don't need an endorsement on your license for an air brake equipped RV in Texas, but it's nice to know what stops your motorhome.

RV Air Systems

An Air Brake Primer

HowStuffWorks "How Air Brakes Work"

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Air Brakes test and when do you need toad brakes

A couple of things: I've not seen a 'wig wag' warning for low air pressure since the late '60's. RV systems are almost always self-adjusting, but it's still good to know how to check and adjust if the self-adjusters are bad. Your air tanks probably have drain valves with lanyards. The lanyards are usually routed to a wheel well or someplace else accessible from the sides of the coach. Pull them once in a while to make sure the air dryer filter is doing it's job. If excess (any) water is in the tanks, it's time to service the air dryer. I don't know if your RV has drum or disk brakes, disk brakes usually means your brakes are 'air over hydraulic' which means air pressure is used to apply hydraulic pressure to disk brake calipers. I'm sure others will chime in here to further explain how an '02 Monaco is equipped.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You don't need an endorsement on your license for an air brake equipped RV in Texas, but it's nice to know what stops your motorhome.

RV Air Systems

An Air Brake Primer

HowStuffWorks "How Air Brakes Work"

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Air Brakes test and when do you need toad brakes

A couple of things: I've not seen a 'wig wag' warning for low air pressure since the late '60's. RV systems are almost always self-adjusting, but it's still good to know how to check and adjust if the self-adjusters are bad. Your air tanks probably have drain valves with lanyards. The lanyards are usually routed to a wheel well or someplace else accessible from the sides of the coach. Pull them once in a while to make sure the air dryer filter is doing it's job. If excess (any) water is in the tanks, it's time to service the air dryer. I don't know if your RV has drum or disk brakes, disk brakes usually means your brakes are 'air over hydraulic' which means air pressure is used to apply hydraulic pressure to disk brake calipers. I'm sure others will chime in here to further explain how an '02 Monaco is equipped.
I am curious. From all the posts on here I have read you have to have an RV license in texas. Are you saying you do not have to have a separate license for a class a RV In texas.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
You need a Class B license if GVWR exceeds 26,000 lbs. Read here: Texas drivers license requirements

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air brakes, brake, brakes