Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am preparing to get my class b license as I live in Texas and it is required for my coach. In reading the study guide I came across this section in the air brakes chapter:

Quote:
Caution. Never push the brake pedal down when the spring brakes are on. If you do, the brakes could be damaged by the combined forces of the springs and the air pressure. Many brake systems are designed so this will not happen. But not all systems are set up that way, and those that are may not always work. It is much better to develop the habit of not pushing the brake pedal down when the spring brakes are on.
I have always held the foot brake when setting the park brake, releasing, or doing the brake test. What am I missing?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newer MH brakes have an anti-compounding setup in them so you don't need to worry about it. But you want to answer the test correctly so the booklet is correct in this case.
Both our 2000 and now 2002 have the correct setup so I don't worry.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is good to know. Thanks!

Do all the axles have a spring brake?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
That is good to know. Thanks!

Do all the axles have a spring brake?
No, just the rears, that's why you never lift the rear tires off the ground, it can roll or shift sideways. Don't ask how I know about shifting sideways
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Just the rear MAIN axle. Not the tag.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Just the rear MAIN axle. Not the tag.
Yep, that true. We don't have a tag so I forgot that!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, that true. We don't have a tag so I forgot that!
The one he has on order does, so I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And the parking brake is that spring brake right? I guess nothing is different from my assumptions just that paragraph threw me for a loop.

Thanks all!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
And the parking brake is that spring brake right? I guess nothing is different from my assumptions just that paragraph threw me for a loop.

Thanks all!
Yes, the parking brake is the spring brake. It's held open by air pressure. So when you loose air, the spring closes it and stops you. Suddenly, I've heard. Never tried it myself.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #10

Quote:
I am preparing to get my class b license as I live in Texas and it is required for my coach. In reading the study guide I came across this section in the air brakes chapter:

I have always held the foot brake when setting the park brake, releasing, or doing the brake test. What am I missing?
That would have thrown me off too. How can this be true, if you have 90 pounds of air in all your tanks, then all you're doing is applying the same 90 pounds to the two chambers (service and park) (ie not 180 pounds)??

And I would also think it makes perfect sense to apply service brakes be4 releasing park brakes to prevent movement especially if you're on a hill??

I just renewed my air brake endorsment and would have missed that question, but then again we're allowed 4 wrong out of 20...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post

And I would also think it makes perfect sense to apply service brakes be4 releasing park brakes to prevent movement especially if you're on a hill??

and the reverse of that too ... wouldn't you hold the RV in position with the foot brake before engaging Park?
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #12

Even if the rig didn't have the anti-compounding system fitted, the normal engineering factors of safety designed into every component (especially critical components like braking systems) would allow for applying reasonable pedal pressure while applying the parking brake at the same time. The advice is normally expressed as not to apply FULL pressure on the pedal rather than not to apply ANY pressure which would clearly be impractical.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Yes, the parking brake is the spring brake. It's held open by air pressure. So when you loose air, the spring closes it and stops you. Suddenly, I've heard. Never tried it myself.
Done at the Freightliner course in Gaffney, SC

The answer to the bold portion above will surprise you. I have been in a rig that the emergency air brakes were tested at about 45 mph, as were the foot brake at about 25 mph.

In the case of the foot brake there is a sudden violent stop if they are engaged with heavy foot pressure. All wheels become engaged when braking with the foot brake. It can send things flying. Hold on tight.

As for the emergency pull you will come to a quick gradual stop. Quite different from a full force pressure on the foot brake. Depending on speed it will take quite a distance in comparison to the foot brake. When the emergency brake is applied, only the rear wheels are engaged, and that is quite a difference. I was pleasantly surprised. Oh. and with the TOAD pushing the rig it will be even a greater distance. Everyone should experience it at least one time in a practice session. I hope no one ever has to use the "park" brake while going down the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
and the reverse of that too ... wouldn't you hold the RV in position with the foot brake before engaging Park?
Personally, unless you are on a ground area that is completely level, I think it is a dangerous thing to not have one or the other braking systems engaged. So, when we park and I am ready to leave my driving seat, I start releasing the brake pedal at the same time I am setting the the parking brake. I really believe I still have full control.

The reverse is true when departing. As I release the emergency brake I am starting to engage the foot brake. With all the safety measures of the manufacturer in place and the way I do it just gives me peace of mind.

Now, for the emergency parking brake. One of the things that is taught at the Freightliner Course is in regards to "us" traveling down the highway and something happens to the driver. How does the co-pilot stop the vehicle. The simple answer, which is more thoroughly covered in the course is for the copilot to release the cruise control and pull the "yellow" triangle parking brake control while holding the steering wheel on course. The motorhome will come to a quick gradual stop. It is definitely not a time to worry about traffic behind you. But during this time if one has the presence of mind to do so, then pull as far over to the right on the shoulder as possible.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote