Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 50 years of school bus driving experience and air brakes came into busses some time in there. The refresher couirses we got every 2 years covered them very well. For a few years in the middle I drove tour busses on highways. People want a smooth ride and not hitting the brakes rapidly is a very important part of that. You keep a greater distance between vehicles and ease into tops most times. I still drive that way and it does a lot to improve MPG also. Enjoy your coach.

bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
So what is Correct for current trucks and RV's? I think that is what everyone wants to know.
I think Wayne M's post (#41 in this thread) immediately following your quoted post sums it up very concisely.

On Edit: Added # for referenced post.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The link below takes you to the Air Brake manual as provided by Manitoba Public Insurance, that provides the study material for taking the air brake test in Manitoba in order to get the endorsement on your driver license. It is a well done document and explains the operation of air brakes very well.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...52434380,d.aWM
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman42 View Post
Using Air Brakes

I found this to be somewhat helpful. I think the common sense thing is take your time, dont be in a hurry or driving to fast, and watch far enough ahead to help prevent emergency actions.
Yes.....study that manual front to back, many times over, then you'll have a better education of the air brake system (Much better than some of the poor advice from a forum). I still can't see why down in the U.S. that proper testing and endorsements are not taken seriously.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
When I was sixteen I remember my late Father patiently teaching me how to drive tractor trailers. I miss him a lot. I drove semis for him for many years after that. Yep, that's right, he started me off at sixteen. Wouldn't get away with that today.
The first thing I ever drove on the road was a semi. My dad figured if I could drive that, cars would be easy. I lost my dad last June. I miss him a lot, too.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #48
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
This imo perfectly helps illustrate my thread about how difficult it is to drive a class a diesel. The above sounds like a lot to go over for the novice driver. I can understand the pros of a DP, but this sounds like a pretty big con to me. Should an emergency ever happen to me, I would hate to be lying there trying to give a crash course to my driver on how to drive my DP so he/she can get me and our kids to the hospital. Worse yet...what if I was knocked unconscious even? Atving is not exactly the safest recreation out there.

I'm sure some will chastise me for this. But there is something to be said for just having a no frills motorhome I guess.
EricGT,

Please read posts carefully before commenting.

Quote From Wayne M's Post:
"Also, teach the passenger how to move the driver out of the way, release cruise control, pull the yellow button and steer the MH, should an emergency be encountered and the driver becomes incapacitated while driving and slump over the wheel. Heaven forbid that any one should encounter that, but just be prepared."

Wayne was not suggesting you teach someone to drive a DP, but how to react to an emergency if the driver became incapacitated and bring the coach to a safe stop. I don't see anything in his post regarding driving you or your kids to a hospital.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
So what part of that quote from the manual link that was posted is not understandable.

For the service brakes, push on pedal, air is compressed and the brake is applied. Release the pedal and air is released and the spring retracts the brake.

For the parking (emergency) brake, pull the parking (emergency) brake device and air is release completely from the spring parking brake system and the brakes are applied.

Two different sets of air lines. Two systems. Two different applications.

What am I missing?
I think they both say the same thing just worded different. This is from the Florida CDL 2011 handbook (posted earlier) concerning Foundation s-cam drum brakes and reads about the same way.

bookhttp://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/cdl/en/5/1

S-cam Brakes.When you push the brake pedal, air is let into each brake chamber. Air pressure pushes the rod out, moving the slack adjuster, thus twisting the brake camshaft. This turns the s-cam (so called because it is shaped like the letter "S"). The s-cam forces the brake shoes away from one another and presses them against the inside of the brake drum. When you release the brake pedal, the s-cam rotates back and a spring pulls the brake shoes away from the drum, letting the wheels roll freely again.

Spring Brakes

All trucks, truck tractors, and buses must be equipped with emergency brakes and parking brakes. They must be held on by mechanical force (because air pressure can eventually leak away). Spring brakes are usually used to meet these needs. When driving, powerful springs are held back by air pressure. If the air pressure is removed, the springs put on the brakes.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For a newbee they will get a first hand Air Brake Experience when they make repeated attempts to perfectly park the MH at the CG. Lots of on/off the brake pedal over a short period of time will cause the low air alarm to sound.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #51
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don,
The quote I posted, and the link pointing to that post, and your post #49 say the same thing. However, the post on "How Stuff Works," is convoluted information that tends to have one believe that it is the release of air, not the compression of air.

I think we are on the same page as the "different air brake manuals" from different regions. For the CDL standpoint it is Federal Law and the manuals "should" be the same. As for other countries, weil that is for the other country's drivers to ascertain.
-----------------------
EricGT,

Dogpatch was correct. I was not inferring that someone needs to teach anyone to drive a MH, although that is a good idea but should be left to professionals. I was trying make the point that partners need to know what to do in case of an emergency to stop ANY vehicle whether it be a motorhome, gas or diesel, car, or whatever. There are steps to take that will allow a passenger some control of a moving vehicile until it comes to a stop.

In my particular vehicle (motorhome) the passenger needs to be able to push me out of the way by any means necessary, grab the steering wheel, release the cruise control by whatever method they can, and pull the yellow knob in an emergency. There are other scenarios but that is the basic one.

I really hope that this thread does not go the way of the different "Driver's License" threads.
-------------
Hey! Here is a simple solution regarding brakes. Push the brake pedal, brake on. Release the brake pedal, brake off.

I'm done.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
While it's important to know how things work, how many people that drive passenger cars can describe how the parking brake works or how rear drum brakes' self adjusters work?

Slack adjusters have been automatic for years. The parking brake works when you pull the parking brake knob. Air pressure is really, really important for the brakes to work so if the alarm goes off, you should get off the road because the parking brakes will apply.

If you lose air pressure due to too many brake applications when maneuvering, you'll learn first hand what no air pressure does.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Don,
The quote I posted, and the link pointing to that post, and your post #49 say the same thing. However, the post on "How Stuff Works," is convoluted information that tends to have one believe that it is the release of air, not the compression of air.

I think we are on the same page as the "different air brake manuals" from different regions. For the CDL standpoint it is Federal Law and the manuals "should" be the same. As for other countries, weil that is for the other country's drivers to ascertain.
-----------------------
EricGT,

Dogpatch was correct. I was not inferring that someone needs to teach anyone to drive a MH, although that is a good idea but should be left to professionals. I was trying make the point that partners need to know what to do in case of an emergency to stop ANY vehicle whether it be a motorhome, gas or diesel, car, or whatever. There are steps to take that will allow a passenger some control of a moving vehicile until it comes to a stop.

In my particular vehicle (motorhome) the passenger needs to be able to push me out of the way by any means necessary, grab the steering wheel, release the cruise control by whatever method they can, and pull the yellow knob in an emergency. There are other scenarios but that is the basic one.

I really hope that this thread does not go the way of the different "Driver's License" threads.
-------------
Hey! Here is a simple solution regarding brakes. Push the brake pedal, brake on. Release the brake pedal, brake off.

I'm done.
I am kind of curious how long does it take to pull the driver out of the way, release the cruise control, apply the parking brake. does the motor home automatically drive straight while you are doing this. What if there is a curve ahead does the motorhome automatically turn threw the curve until you can get all of the above done. I believe that in actuality if you become instantly incapacitated you are going to wreck. Also I do not want my spouse out of the seat belted chair she is in trying to do all of this stuff when we hit something.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

NO! NO! NO! The brakes are applied by the amount of air that is applied to the empty air brake chamber located at each front wheel & each dual & single rear wheel. The amount of air is controlled by how far your foot pushes down on the brake pedal.

You are correct about the parking brake chambers located on the rear axle only. A coil spring applies the parking brake & air pressure is used to compresses the spring to release the parking brakes.
Dwight
Thank you. You beat me to it!!

joe
Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #55

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Also I do not want my spouse out of the seat belted chair she is in trying to do all of this stuff when we hit something.
Choices: If it hasn't wrecked yet, it's called "a fighting chance". The better prepared the greater likelihood of success...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #56
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am kind of curious how long does it take to pull the driver out of the way, release the cruise control, apply the parking brake. does the motor home automatically drive straight while you are doing this. What if there is a curve ahead does the motorhome automatically turn threw the curve until you can get all of the above done. I believe that in actuality if you become instantly incapacitated you are going to wreck. Also I do not want my spouse out of the seat belted chair she is in trying to do all of this stuff when we hit something.
As stated, I'm done! My glass is half full.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air brakes, brake, brakes