Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Air brakes parking knob

Does the parking brake knob on rigs with air brakes seem like it's operation is backwards? Twice I have bumped it with my knee while doing something in the overhead compartment over the drivers seat un-setting the parking brake. It seems like pushing it in to set it would be better but I guess accidentally pushing it in while in motion wouldn't be good either.

I'm thinking about fabricating something like a piece of PVC pipe with a slot cut down it large enough to slip over the shaft on the brake to prevent it from being pushed in by mistake while parked.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #2

I use a cap from the top of a spray can. Set it over the knob and you cant push it down. Also keeps the dog from stepping on it and releasing the brake.

Don

Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

Mark,

Here you go.............

Smith on Safety ::WELCOME::

Don
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The other safe way is to dump all the air out of your tanks so that the Parking Brake automatically comes on and stays on until you start the motor and build up air pressure again.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
The other safe way is to dump all the air out of your tanks so that the Parking Brake automatically comes on and stays on until you start the motor and build up air pressure again.
Mike, Does that mean when I dump the air from the air bags the parking brake stays on? If so there is really not much to worry about since whenever we are parked for any amount of time we dump the airbags.

Thanks for the link akadeadeye and the idea resque7.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If the air pressure in the tanks gets down below 35 lbs the Parking Brake will automatically come on or if on will stay on if already applied. I can dump my bags and still maintain air pressure in my tanks so in that case it will not come on. You should have a gauge on the dash and that is what has to drop to 35 or below. You can do it by fanning the brake pedal if you don't have a dump for the tanks or you can go outside and bleed off the tanks with the valves.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mark,
On my Winnebago dumping the air bags does not release the air pressure for the brakes, at least not in my Winni. You could pump the brakes several times to bleed them down, watching the gauge. Once the air is depleted that way the engine has to be started to release the brakes.

I did exactly what you described you were going to do. I took a piece of PVC pipe cut to the length of the air brake road coming from the dash, used a Dremel tool and cut out a slice of it down the middle. Now when we stop I just snap it over the rod.

I'm lucky i that my air brake knob is on the dash, left of the steering wheel. I would have been much more concerned had it been on the console by the driver window with my 70 pound Husky wanting to play pilot when we leave the MH.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=HD4Mark;1051323]Mike, Does that mean when I dump the air from the air bags the parking brake stays on? If so there is really not much to worry about since whenever we are parked for any amount of time we dump the airbags.

Hi Mark on my system if you dump air bags the brake can come off, you need to pump the brake pedal to bleed off air. After the air is below the required psi the brake will not come off, until air pressure is up again on the system.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Clip a wood clothes pin under he knob
Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The only gauges for air on the dash are front air, rear air. I assume they are for the air bags so I will fan the brakes and see what that does and use one of the great ideas to secure the knob I got here. So far neither one of the 60+ lbs each dogs have pushed it in, just the dumb owner

One thing about RVs. You can learn something about yours every day until you sell or trade it in.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

That air gauge is for your main tanks which are also for your air brakes. When you dump the air bags those two needles should not drop. If you fan the brakes they will or if you raise the suspension it will drop. You should get a Low Air Warning at about 100 psi on those gauges and the parking brake should come on or lock on at 35 psi on that gauge.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #12

I realize that everyone will have an opinion, but where is the best place for the emergency brake knob? It seems to me that I read a story a while back about someone who managed to lock himself out of his MH, so he tried climbing in the driver's window, and managed to release the emergency brake. On our school buses, it is located pretty much in the center of the dash. I'm assuming that the reason is that in case the driver is disabled while driving someone can easily pull the knob.

I would think that putting it in the center of the dash, where either the driver or navigator can easily reach it, would be the best place, but I've never owned a MH that had air brakes, so maybe there is more to it.

Comments?
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I took a piece of red heater hose, cut it to length, sliced it down the side and put it under the brake knob.

Took about 2 minutes.

I travel with cats and you know how cats like to prowl around and I just knew that some night at 0 dark thirty, I was, if I was unlucky, going to wake up to a RV caroming thru the park. If I was lucky I would sleep thru the whole disaster.
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
I took a piece of red heater hose, cut it to length, sliced it down the side and put it under the brake knob.

Took about 2 minutes.

I travel with cats and you know how cats like to prowl around and I just knew that some night at 0 dark thirty, I was, if I was unlucky, going to wake up to a RV caroming thru the park. If I was lucky I would sleep thru the whole disaster.
Love your sense of humor!

Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes