Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #15

I like the Viair 12 volt models. I've had mine for a year now and it pumps my 19.5 tires up to 90 PSI very quickly. Very small and very quiet.
VIAIR Corporation - 70P Part No. 00073

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Husky Factory Reconditioned Trim Plus 3-Gal. Portable Electric Air Compressor-DISCONTINUED-H1503TP-R at The Home Depot

This is the one I have and it works great. Pay close attention to the
Quote:
Delivers 2.5 SCFM at 90 psi
specs. That I found is most important unless you want to wait 5 minutes to put 3 lbs of air in the tire.

I see they don't sell the Husky any more, its been discontinued. I almost bought the Sears Craftsman and just now looked for it and it's been discontinued too....

Sorry I'm not more help, but make sure you get at least 2 SCFM at 90 or higher.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Yes!

This is the Porter-Cable version of one I bought at Sears as a Craftsman tool

PORTER-CABLE CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor - Amazon.com

There are a few other good options already mentioned.

These are good for topping off a tire but you will need to plan a lunch if airing a tire from empty. LOL I have used this unit on 305/70R 22.5 tires with max PSI of 120 running 112 on the front tires...no problem.
Yes, Sky Boss, that is the compressor I almost bought at Sears under the Craftsmen name, but I see the don't have those any more.....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I got a Huskey at Home Depot which I set at 130Lbs when air up tires. It works great.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #19

Air Compressor

Thank you for all the great info. I think I've found the air hook up on my coach. Had no idea I had one. No where in owners manual.I'm going to try this out and if it doesn't pan out you all have given me many great suggestions.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
May I ask....do you keep the engine running when using the on-board compressor to air up a tire? How about when you are set up with bags dumped, slides out, etc.? Do you just start the engine for the compressor to run?

Well the tires are checked on my pre-trip inspection. Trip meaning I'm going somewhere. Going on any trip requires the engine to be running. So yeah. I run the engine to inflate any tires that are low. Honestly though, they're rarely low. Not sure what difference having the slides out or bags dumped makes though.
The OP asked about portable compressors for simply airing up large RV tires. I offered up what I think is a great solution. One that does not require having to buy or store a separate compressor.

These small pancake compressors, while delivering high PSI, only have small 1-6 gallon tanks. A 22.5" tire requires more than pressure. It requires volume. Now multiply that by 8-10 tires.... That means having a large tank, which means storing a large tank. Something I'd rather not do if I can avoid it. And like I said, most of these compressors, while they kick off at ~150psi won't kick on until ~90psi. That means if you inflate your tires to 100psi and the tank has 95psi then you will take air out of the tire and put it into the tank. You'll need to release enough pressure from the tank to start the compressor and then hope you have enough volume to air up the tire. Not to mention this is hard on these compressors.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglhvn1 View Post
Thank you for all the great info. I think I've found the air hook up on my coach. Had no idea I had one. No where in owners manual.I'm going to try this out and if it doesn't pan out you all have given me many great suggestions.
There are some techniques on using the on board air compressor you will want to learn.

Here is one sample.

HOW TO: Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - YouTube

It doesn't really matter much because some folks will gripe about the noise if you use an electric compressor and others will gripe if you fire up the engine. You can't win.

BTW...I generally do my pre-trip tire checks late in the evening before it gets too dark and quiet time gets close. In most cases that allows all tires to be nearly the same temp. This is also fairly close to the expected temps for the middle of the next day for setting "cold" temp pressure. Once I do that I validate that my tire pressure monitors are reading +/- 2 PSI of what my tire gauge says. The next day I just double check the TPMS to see that they all look good. I expect the tire pressure to be a little lower early in the morning because of additional cooling over night. By doing it that way I can do some of my pre-trip packing and put the compressor away a little deeper in the basement than if I needed to access it for tire checks the next morning. Anyway...that is how *I* do it.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #22

Found the air chuck bought the hose and fittings and it works like a charm except I can only get 110 psi and I need 120. Guess I'll try portable compressor.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPY View Post
I use the compressor on the engine. Most portable compressors don't have a tank large enough to help inflate a 22.5" tire. Most don't turn on until they drop below ~90PSI. My coach has an air chuck on the bulkhead right above the generator. I use that and a 50' hose that I leave coiled up on top of the generator. Best part, it takes up NO space.
SNAPPY
Do you have a picture of the hose that "takes up NO space" or is it invisible as well?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eglhvn1 View Post
Found the air chuck bought the hose and fittings and it works like a charm except I can only get 110 psi and I need 120. Guess I'll try portable compressor.
The onboard compressor probably only gets to about 120, and will fall to about 90 before the compressor will kick back on. I made a bleed device with pressure guage so that I can bleed the air below 90 to make the compressor kick back on then I begin inflating the tire again. Of course, you can accomplish the same thing with someone pressing/releasing brake pedal to bleed some air out.

110 may be all you can get out of a 120psi onboard system. Mine works great, but then I'm only trying to get the tire to 90 psi.

Fred
Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #25

The same trick works for my small portable one. It shuts off at 120psi, but doesn't turn on until 80psi. If I need to go to 80, 90, or 110 psi I just pull the relief while filling until it runs and don't remove it from the tire until the gage reads the appropriate pressure.

My little one will fill a visually low RV tire in less than a minute. No amount of big heavy tanks is going to solve the problem unless you fill with a high pressure or phase change gas (CO2). Its all CFM at the tire's pressure, or you wait. The volume doesn't matter that much either really, its not like you would fill all your tires from flat. You should be just adding a few psi most of the time. Even if you just plugged a tire, you would only fill one.

My goal is to have a reliable enough compressor with a long enough duty cycle it can make it through a maintenance top off, or refil one tire from visually low. Any engine run compressor should have these features, most 120v ones should do it too. Most 12v ones won't, but a few will.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Driving a diesel you may have a connection for an air hose already. It can take some effort to get enough pressure but pressing the brake as the engine is running will cut the governor back on and you can build enough pressure that way.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Yes!

This is the Porter-Cable version of one I bought at Sears as a Craftsman tool

PORTER-CABLE CMB15 150 PSI 1.5 Gallon Oil-Free Fully Shrouded Compressor - Amazon.com

There are a few other good options already mentioned.

These are good for topping off a tire but you will need to plan a lunch if airing a tire from empty. LOL I have used this unit on 305/70R 22.5 tires with max PSI of 120 running 112 on the front tires...no problem.
I also use this device bought under the Craftsman name. It works well and stores easily. It is no longer available under the Craftsman...so buy this one!
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Air on tap

I bought a 150 psi Porter Cable pancake compressor at Lowes last month that was on sale for $89.95. I got 10% off for retired military and I had a $10 coupon so I paid about $70. The oil-less compressors are indeed noisy but I found I had unused space in my water tank bay. I built a sturdy wood shelf and bolted it in place and voila, I have portable air. Combined with a polyurethane 50ft hose I can air up the RV, toad or use for a air source to blow things out.

I see now that Lowes has the compressor for $150, so I lucked out. Watch the sales! Be careful because all pancake compressors are not alike. Many only reach 100psi which is insufficient for RV tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	44189  

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote