Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would prefer the muffled hum of a small electric compressor in a compartment to the sound of a 400 hp diesel on high idle, blowing off the air dryer every minute, trying to get more then 100 psi out of it.

Besides, I don't have air brakes, so I run my 120 volt compressor in Wal-Mart, 2 or 3 times a year. I don't have leaky tires.
I would not do this in a cg except in a emergency .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
A "20 Gallon, 5hp and 150 psi." Wow, I hope you're not planning on hauling this thing in the coach. Man, that's almost enough compressor to paint a car. It's definitely enough to keep 115 in your tires for sure. As for carrying one, many of us carry the one in my picture below. As you'll see and read, there are many out there. The smaller they are, the harder they work. But, one must make a compromise when it comes to carrying one.
Good luck in your search.
Scott

I have this unit also. It has been a work horse for ten years and I decided to retire it to home use. I just replaced it with this little Shop Kobalt 1.5-HP 3-Gallon 155-PSI 120-Volt Hot Dog Portable Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com based on the low profile (It stays in the coach basement drawer) and use 50' of hose. Only had it a couple weeks but like it so far. Just like the old one it will fill a max of about 130.
Attached Images

twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Don how noisy are these compressors?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
tmw188,
These are just as noisy as any oiless compressor of that size and capacity. Compressing air is work. And, the motors and pumps that have to do it, especially in smaller units like ours, make a bit of noise. But, it's not all that obnoxious. But, by far, it's phenomenally quieter than ANY DIESEL engine in a campground. I don't have a DB meter reading on it when it's running but, it's real tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I've had five dp and never had a problem airing my tires with the on board compressor. My present coach requires 120psi. in my steer tires, no problem.
All of us that are in DP coaches wouldn't and most likely don't have any problem utilizing the coach engines built-in compressor for topping off tires. This is primarily a case of being more considerate to camping neighbors. I mean, if you ABSOLUTELY need to top off a tire or, couple of tires while camping, especially in close-quartered campgrounds, then it's just one of those things that it's more of a courtesy and common sense thing to use a small, electric compressor. This of course, is a matter of opinion.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Just curious as to why most do not just use the air system on the coach? Trying to learn. Thanks.
BigLar368,
As I explained above, firing up a 400HP CAT or Cummins engine, and create a whole bunch of noise, all just to put a pound or two in a tire or two, when it can be done with a much quieter small, compact electric one, again, in close quartered campgrounds, is just something that many of us feel is the right thing to do and be good neighbors.

Can you use the big beast's engine and compressor, sure you can. Is that why the manufacturers put the air supply lines etc. in place so you can top off tires etc. yep, it sure is. But, the MANUFACTURER is not in the camp ground, we and you are. The manufacturer is back in manufacture-ville so, the noise to them, is of no consequence. We're just trying to be considerate.
Hope this answers your inquiry.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have found the pressure can be had from almost any compressor but it is the volume that is the problem. these tires need a large amount of air and waiting all day to get to 95 psi is annoying.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Just curious as to why most do not just use the air system on the coach? Trying to learn. Thanks.

Many claim to do this, but if you have 22.5" tires at 115 Lbs the math simply doesn't work well. Your onboard compressor will normally cycle on at 90 psi and off at about 120 psi, so you can see that through most of its recharge cycle your coach system will actually be removing air from the tire. Even if you only connect the chuck when the system is at peak pressure, the differential pressure is so small it will take quite a while to move the required volume of air-- and all this with your main engine running.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Air Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I have this unit also. It has been a work horse for ten years and I decided to retire it to home use. I just replaced it with this little Shop Kobalt 1.5-HP 3-Gallon 155-PSI 120-Volt Hot Dog Portable Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com based on the low profile (It stays in the coach basement drawer) and use 50' of hose. Only had it a couple weeks but like it so far. Just like the old one it will fill a max of about 130.

That cobalt is the one I too have been looking. I like it better for a couple reasons most of all I can look at in the store, pick it up measure it for fit. The capacity is a little larger. The foot print is very stable won't roll over. It is my choice over the Porter Cable model but costs about $30 more.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
I run 115 psi in my coach tires and this is the compressor I use.

Robot Check

It costs $99.99 from Amazon and it does a great job. I bought a tire inflator with gage to go with it.

Robot Check

The unit is not very heavy, as I use a cane to get around, but it does a great job and is easily stored in one of my lower bays, not taking up a lot of room. I highly recommend it.
I have that same compressor. And that same tire Inflator/Gauge set up.

It's a bit bulky(the compressor) but it's the same as the Sears Compressor only in grey. The Sears one was made by Porter Cable.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Many claim to do this, but if you have 22.5" tires at 115 Lbs the math simply doesn't work well. Your onboard compressor will normally cycle on at 90 psi and off at about 120 psi, so you can see that through most of its recharge cycle your coach system will actually be removing air from the tire. Even if you only connect the chuck when the system is at peak pressure, the differential pressure is so small it will take quite a while to move the required volume of air-- and all this with your main engine running.
Finally, the real reason you don't use the engine's compressor.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Ditto. Just got one and wish I had it years ago. Tops off my 22.5 tires to 115 in no time.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Shop Kobalt 1.5-HP 3-Gallon 155-PSI 120-Volt Hot Dog Portable Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com based on the low profile (It stays in the coach basement drawer) and use 50' of hose. Only had it a couple weeks but like it so far. Just like the old one it will fill a max of about 130.
i carry this it does the job nicely.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #25

The little Craftsman works very well! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
Old 03-06-2016, 12:19 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I have that same compressor. And that same tire Inflator/Gauge set up.

It's a bit bulky(the compressor) but it's the same as the Sears Compressor only in grey. The Sears one was made by Porter Cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
Ditto. Just got one and wish I had it years ago. Tops off my 22.5 tires to 115 in no time.
I have both the Porter Cable Compressor and the Viair 12v. Compressor. The Porter Cable works great. It looses out when you use a hose longer than about 12ft. I would suggest using an extension cord if you have access to to 120v power plug on your RV. or a pedestal plug in the campground or a good inverter. JMHO.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:20 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a class A with larger tires aprox 110 a/p will my rig air work?..thanks Jim
Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace View Post
I have a class A with larger tires aprox 110 a/p will my rig air work?..thanks Jim

It should. The air governor usually is set for a max pressure of 120-130. It gets tricky to add air when you are up over 100 psi. You need to be sure to add air when the on board system is at or above the tire pressure and the compressor is running.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor