Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Air Compressor

The air compressor I currently have will not air up the tires on my coach. Planning to replace this weekend. I am thinking 20 gallon, 5 hp, 150 PSI. Need to be sure I can air up my tires to 115 PSI. Any suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks!

Jeannie and Frank
2006 Monaco Cayman XL
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use this Porter Cable Pancake Compressor. It's not necessarily the one I would have bought for the rig - it's a tad bulky - but I already had it and it works great... and I have the basement room to spare.

I've heard great things about Viair's, but for me I don't like the idea of having to pull open my battery compartment just to hook it up. That would not be practical for me at all. You could easily install some sort of 12v terminal, I suppose, but why when I already have a 110v outlet ready to go?

Lotsa choices out there. Good luck!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Viar and they do pull a bunch of amps (up to 20) but I have a 30A 12V plug using an Anderson Power Pole. The 88P has battery clamps.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryMonaco View Post
The air compressor I currently have will not air up the tires on my coach. Planning to replace this weekend. I am thinking 20 gallon, 5 hp, 150 PSI. Need to be sure I can air up my tires to 115 PSI. Any suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks!

Jeannie and Frank
2006 Monaco Cayman XL
A "20 Gallon, 5hp and 150 psi." Wow, I hope you're not planning on hauling this thing in the coach. Man, that's almost enough compressor to paint a car. It's definitely enough to keep 115 in your tires for sure. As for carrying one, many of us carry the one in my picture below. As you'll see and read, there are many out there. The smaller they are, the harder they work. But, one must make a compromise when it comes to carrying one.
Good luck in your search.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 PM   #5

I run 115 psi in my coach tires and this is the compressor I use.

Robot Check

It costs $99.99 from Amazon and it does a great job. I bought a tire inflator with gage to go with it.

Robot Check

The unit is not very heavy, as I use a cane to get around, but it does a great job and is easily stored in one of my lower bays, not taking up a lot of room. I highly recommend it.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use the same as "FIRE UP". It's hard to find the Sears unit anymore, but it was made by Porter Cable. These units are great and you can find the Porter Cable versions online. They're lightweight and powerful enough to fill 22.5 tires. It takes about 15 seconds to add 1 psi to a 22.5 tire, which works well for topping off your tires.

It also has a lock on chuck and it's own air gauge which is pretty accurate and reads while it's filling the tire. The air hose and cord is long enough to reach all of my tires when I plug it in an outlet in my center bay.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #7

This works good and is very compact

http://www.viaircorp.com/400P-rv-auto.html
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use the same as "FIRE UP". It's hard to find the Sears unit anymore, but it was made by Porter Cable. These units are great and you can find the Porter Cable versions online. They're lightweight and powerful enough to fill 22.5 tires. It takes about 15 seconds to add 1 psi to a 22.5 tire, which works well for topping off your tires.

It also has a lock on chuck and it's own air gauge which is pretty accurate and reads while it's filling the tire. The air hose and cord is long enough to reach all of my tires when I plug it in an outlet in my center bay.

Don how noisy are these compressors?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #9

I've had five dp and never had a problem airing my tires with the on board compressor. My present coach requires 120psi. in my steer tires, no problem.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:39 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like this one, but I use it for home and traveling use, it is the largest I would go but the CFM is really good for the size.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious as to why most do not just use the air system on the coach? Trying to learn. Thanks.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Just curious as to why most do not just use the air system on the coach? Trying to learn. Thanks.

Some of us have gas coaches which do not have compressors. Also I assume you have to start your coach at a camp site to generate the onboard compressor but I'm not sure which would be more annoying the compressor running or the coach running?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #13

I would prefer the muffled hum of a small electric compressor in a compartment to the sound of a 400 hp diesel on high idle, blowing off the air dryer every minute, trying to get more then 100 psi out of it.

Besides, I don't have air brakes, so I run my 120 volt compressor in Wal-Mart, 2 or 3 times a year. I don't have leaky tires.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
A "20 Gallon, 5hp and 150 psi." Wow, I hope you're not planning on hauling this thing in the coach. Man, that's almost enough compressor to paint a car. It's definitely enough to keep 115 in your tires for sure. As for carrying one, many of us carry the one in my picture below. As you'll see and read, there are many out there. The smaller they are, the harder they work. But, one must make a compromise when it comes to carrying one.
Good luck in your search.
Scott

Had an inner dual leak down to 50 PSI this week due to a valve stem leak. Used the compressor above to fill the tire to the correct PSI before driving the coach a couple of miles to the tire shop.

Took 10 minutes to add enough air for the correct 95 PSI.

Have no problems topping off the front tires to 110 PSI.

Tire size is 275/70/22.5.

This little jewel takes up minimal space, is light and reliable.

Eliminates all stress related to topping off tires due to weather changes etc.

Tags
compressor