Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #15

Coil style air hoses are very light and don't take up much space. One advantage of a stand-alone compressor is that it can act as a spare source for your air brakes if the engine mounted unit fails. Not common, but could be real handy.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #16

My RV also has onboard compressor but on my old Fleetwood I carried one of those small Harborfreight 12v models. It was rated up to 200psi it just took a while to get there. But for the price and space it worked great. I now carry that in my car and use it whenever the need arises. That and a tire plug kit works wonders.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So..........for my onboard system, off the air brakes, where do I find a hose long enough to reach the opposite rear tire?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #18

Man-O-man, spend $150, if necessary and get at least 150# compressor that operates on 115 VAC. If your tires require 110#/120#, a cheap AC or DC compressor just want do the job, neither will the onboard compressor. Trust me, been there, done that, been sorry every since.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks. That's what I was trying to get at. I need 115 psi in front, and 95 in the rear. I just need something reliable.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
I doubt if the 100psi compressor mentioned would air up a motorhome tire to the needed pressure. My 115psi rated shop compressor can't do above 92psi at mile-high altitude. I need 95 in my front tires. The Sears unit does the job without running forever. Those compact units can do the pressure and are fine for airing up a few psi, but take forever to recover a large pressure change.
Good advice.

That pump might say "fills to 125 psi" and it might if the psi is a balloon...won't do it with a MH.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
I have two compressors at home, one is a pancake and the other is a larger upright and neither will air up the tires as rapidly as the onboard air system. Recovery time for those compressors is slow. They will fill up the tires but it takes awhile. I use the onboard compressor and I do have a hose long enough to reach all the tires and it does store much easier than any compressor I have.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Yes you can, I have the same onboard system upfront in my Discovery. Problem is the hose is long enough for maybe my front left tire. I would need to get an awful long hose, and thought a small compressor is better.
I use my on-board compressor when it is handy to. I bought the Sears compressor (150psi, 1.5 gallon tank) with some gift cards I got for Christmas a couple of years ago. It will do my 110psi front tires MUCH faster than the on-board compressor will, and if I want to top off a tire on the MH or toad ...or use air to blow something out ...I don't have to crank the big diesel and let it idle just to get some compressed air.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I'm going to buy 50 feet of air hose, and toss it in the basement bin where my tools, jacking pads, spare oil and washer fluid, and all that sort of stuff lives. Not something I'd need often, but nice to have when needed.

Hope you get to move up to a DP soon, Ron!
This thing seriously rocks.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #24

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68
Well, I'm going to buy 50 feet of air hose, and toss it in the basement bin where my tools, jacking pads, spare oil and washer fluid, and all that sort of stuff lives. Not something I'd need often, but nice to have when needed.

Hope you get to move up to a DP soon, Ron!
This thing seriously rocks.
My time will come just as yours has! I'm stoked for you and the family! Happy trails and safe travels

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #25

Barlow46, I just purchased the Craftsman 150 and did not get an operators manual. I read the english portion of the owners manuel and could not find how to the break in or seat the rings in the compressor. before I plug her in, could you provide some assistance. thanx Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKANER
Barlow46, I just purchased the Craftsman 150 and did not get an operators manual. I read the english portion of the owners manuel and could not find how to the break in or seat the rings in the compressor. before I plug her in, could you provide some assistance. thanx Len
It has been posted that to break it in you should open drain plug at the bottom, turn both knobs counterclockwise and run it for 15 minutes. I read the manual 4 times and didn't see any mention of a break in. Some have said it can't hurt to do it. That's all I know.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
I had a 50% off coupon and got this 120v model for $40
Pancake Air Compressor - 3 Gallon, 100 PSI
I had this one for home and RV use-

Delta Machinery|Porter Cable Product Details for 150 psi, 6 gal Oil-Free Pancake Compressor - Model # C2002

Then bought the above Harbor freight one ($40) for the RV. It was way too slow for me so I returned and and bought the 21 gal HF unit for the garage and left the PC in the RV. It works very well. I even installed a dedicated outlet for it so as not to have the need to drag around an extension cord.

H

P.S. Just used the PC pancake today with a PC 1/2" impact wrench to change the wheels/tires on my 3/4 T pickup bed water hauling trailer. It removed and replaced the lug nuts just fine, just not enough air flow for final torque. Had to add 1/4 turn with a 25" HF breaker bar. ($4.77 close out and 20% coupon.)

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #28

Pairajays,

Don't know what your unit is but, my on board compressor will easily and quickly go to 115+ lbs for my front tires. The secret is to inflate while the compressor is running and not after it cuts off. If it cuts off, release air until it starts again. Nothing wrong with carrying a portable compressor, but why if you don't have to?

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote