Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Air compressor issue?

I have a 1999 Winnebago Suncruiser DP. Yesterday, I started the engine and ran it for 15 minutes or so at idle. I noticed that my air pressure didn't go to 120 psi. it stayed about 50 psi and went into alarm with the engine at idle. guess I should schedule the unit in for a check but is there anything I could check myself?
lsucajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #2

did you raise your leveling jacks as maybe it senses this and wont let you take off with them down and will fill when you raise them...jeff
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

It may be your air pressure governor that is the problem. I have attached an article that explains the procedure. This is for a 2002 model, but may also apply to your coach. Sorry, IRV2 wouldn't let me attache the original .docx file, so this one is just text.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Air Pressure Governor.txt (2.7 KB, 116 views)

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
No, the jacks were not down. I just started the engine because the unit is in storage and I start the engine every couple of weeks.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, I'll look for it....
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
do I have to manually drain my air tanks? where are they located?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #7

lsucajun,

I don't know where the tanks are located on your coach, but you should have lanyards attached to the control valves that are used to drain water from the tanks. Ours are in the front of the coach beside the generator. They will bleed the tanks for you. Also your air drier has a schrader valve on the bottom that will drain the entire system. Ours is located behind the driver rear wheels. Hope this helps.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucajun View Post
do I have to manually drain my air tanks? where are they located?
With the engine shut off, cycle the air brake pedal until all the air pressure is released. This may take a minute or two depending on the capacity of the air tanks on your coach. If you have neighbors you don't care for, the air horn is a fun way to drain the tanks also.

If you have an air dump system on your levelers, you can also dump the air that way.

When you decide to remove the lines from the governor, please wear eye protection just in case you didn't release all the air from your tanks.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucajun View Post
I have a 1999 Winnebago Suncruiser DP. Yesterday, I started the engine and ran it for 15 minutes or so at idle. I noticed that my air pressure didn't go to 120 psi. it stayed about 50 psi and went into alarm with the engine at idle. guess I should schedule the unit in for a check but is there anything I could check myself?
Had the temperature been below freezing during your run? Maybe frozen moisture in lines . Had this before in a truck.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #10

The lanyards to drain the air tanks on my Itasca are behind the r/f tire. Pull them (3) with awning rod for about 15-20 sec every 3-6 months. A very little, if any moisture will spew out.

At 50 psi your parking brake might not release. If it does release it is on the verge of locking the brakes at that low air pressure. If draining and thawing doesn't cure it and allow pressure to build you need a mobile service to come fix it. The alarm is telling you the pressure is LOW and brakes are about to set. You don't want to be going down the interstate at 70 MPH and have the brakes lock up due to low pressure.

I don't think I would just go and start the rig every couple of weeks unless you drive it, get it up to temp, including transmission. Diesels can sit for long periods (think emergency generators) with additives in the fuel tank to prevent algae.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you tried increasing the rpm's while airing up? I had a leaking airbag
that showed the same symptoms. It would not air up past 70 psi unless I increased the rpm's, then it would air up.
RonPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Be careful of draining your air tanks. My coach just has drain cocks and you have to get under it to drain the tanks. If you drain the tanks while under the coach there is not enough room for a skinny body under there.

Tags
compressor