Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
KJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRVMan View Post
My wife and I made our second trip in two weeks in our new motor home this weekend...as she said, this was a working trip. We basically moved everything over from our old travel trailer into our new Tiffin and started making a list of what we needed now. I also added a 50 to 30 amp adapter this weekend as the park we were in only had 30 amp hookups, so that box is checked. I also realized I need an "extension cord" as I had to re-park to get close enough to the power outlet.

I have been reading a lot about what people carry, and I am pretty sure I want to add an air compressor, but what size would you recommend? I want to use obviously for tires, but would also like to use for inflatables during the summer.

So I have an extension cord and an air compressor on my wish list? What else would you consider a "must have" for my new basement? We already have all the chairs, tables, lights, flag poles, bbq, mats, outdoor related items...5 years of camping at NASCAR in our Outback prepared us pretty well!
It might be a good idea to carry along a battery charger. I keep a cordless drill and charger along with some drill bits and misc tools for the drill. I never leave home without my multi-meter also. I have 4 6x6 blocks to put under my jacks so I dont have to run them all the way down. My motorhome is gas so it sits up pretty high thats why I carry the blocks. Now if your motorhome is diesel you already have an on board aircompressor. If you look around under the front by the generator there is usually a place to plug in an air hose to check tires and such. I also carry a old tackle box with misc fuses and electrical tape and misc splices for wiring. Oh one more thing in on compartment with all this stuff I put an old plastic table cloth that the wife was going to toss just in case for some reason I need to crawl under the coach I dont get all dirty. I am sure I am forgetting somthing but you get the idea. Hope this helps some. KJD

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #16

I carry the egg shaped craftsman 150 psi and changed the hose and put a quick connect on the end. I also carry extra fuel filters and a small set of tools, like I'm really going to tear down and rebuild the engine. A small tub with fuses, tire gauges,duct tape just odds and ends. Oil and coolant.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
. I made a mistake and missed the fact that one of the rear tire sets is missing its valve extenders...that's on my list too.

Now doesn't the water purifier in the wet bay filter all water (either city or from tank) coming into the coach?
Valve extenders are not the same as the all metal dually valve stems. The all metal valve stems extend the valve of the inner dual tire so that you can check/add air if needed without having to climb under the coach. Valve extenders have a reputation of leaking.

From what I have read on TRVN the factory installed water filter does not filter the water going into the fresh water tank. It does filter the water going into the coach. I installed one that filters all of the water coming into the coach.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
This is all great info folks, I appreciate it. I like the smaller Craftsman compressor so that goes on my list, along with a electrical multi-meter. The extension cord is on my Christmas list, I had no idea they were so much money?!

I never really thought about bringing oil and coolant and fluids as I guess I am used to today's auots where they pretty much "just run". I do have all the fluids for the gen-set, but not the coach motor...do I need to start checking oil each trip? I can and will, but anything I need to pay special attention to...she has the 8.1L Chevy and Workhorse chasis.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #19

Given how often a compressor is NOT needed, portability and store-ability are my most important criteria. The cleanest design (in terms of protrusions to break off) and most compact is the DeWalt D55140.

It is 100% duty cycle, oil-less, store/use in any position, stands on end taking up a couple phone books of space and there are no gizmos protruding to break off as you toss it in and out of your basement and will run off most inverters.

Yes, it does my 125psi 22.5 tires by forcing it to run before connecting to that high a pressure tire. It's not fast but it works and is the most portable.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Sears compressor works real well. I have used one for the last few years. It fits in bay easily and does not take up to much space. They normally run about $99.00. If you dont have a surge protector, my advice is get one. The one most often recommended on here and other forums is the Progressive Industries one. They make both the 30A and 50A models and have them tht can be hardwired in or portable. The surge protector will be worth it.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would only recommend a compressor that puts out 150 psi. I have the PorterCable also- a great unit.

Everyone around me uses mine all the time- the downside of owning one of these beauties.

You won't get 150 psi at the "chuck"- maybe 130 psi.

Good luck with your Tiffin- Is it a DP?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
This is all great info folks, I appreciate it. I like the smaller Craftsman compressor so that goes on my list, along with a electrical multi-meter. The extension cord is on my Christmas list, I had no idea they were so much money?!

I never really thought about bringing oil and coolant and fluids as I guess I am used to today's auots where they pretty much "just run". I do have all the fluids for the gen-set, but not the coach motor...do I need to start checking oil each trip? I can and will, but anything I need to pay special attention to...she has the 8.1L Chevy and Workhorse chasis.
You can build your own extension cord at any length you want by going to Lowe's or Home Depot and buying the wire and plugs.

It may not be necessary but I try to check the oil, fluid levels and tire pressure every morning before/when I go on a trip. Better to be safe than having to replace an engine or tire.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I am very fortunate that the previous owner of the Allegro Bay (1) took GREAT care of the coach, (2) purchased every upgrade possible and (3) added some very nice upgrades...one being a 50amp surge protector, so that is covered.

The Tiffin is a gasser. It's the 8.1 liter Chevy on a W24 Workhorse chasis...I have found it to be a joy to drive. I probably baby it too much and just let it do its thing up hills and such, but I don't think I have even started pushing it yet. We looked at a lot of DP's and actually drove more than gas, but they ended up being out of our budget for our first MH...we know we have a couple more coaches to go in our lifetime (wife and I are both 40), so we wanted something well within our budget that was still nice...the Allegro Bus will have to be later on!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I am very fortunate that the previous owner of the Allegro Bay (1) took GREAT care of the coach, (2) purchased every upgrade possible and (3) added some very nice upgrades...one being a 50amp surge protector, so that is covered.

The Tiffin is a gasser. It's the 8.1 liter Chevy on a W24 Workhorse chasis...I have found it to be a joy to drive. I probably baby it too much and just let it do its thing up hills and such, but I don't think I have even started pushing it yet. We looked at a lot of DP's and actually drove more than gas, but they ended up being out of our budget for our first MH...we know we have a couple more coaches to go in our lifetime (wife and I are both 40), so we wanted something well within our budget that was still nice...the Allegro Bus will have to be later on!
Congrats! on the new coach. My DW and I also just purchased our first. (28ft Fleetwood). I made my extension cord from Lowes purchases but was not able to purchase the 30 amp plugs. The cost was MUCH less than store bought extension cords and it was the length I wanted and not some predetermined length.

In addition to the above GREAT ideas for the basement (which I will also adopt) I would suggest a bucket containing sponges, rags, detergents and polishes and any other items used for keeping that new coach looking new.

Congrats again.

hope to see you down the road.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcirclem View Post
Congrats! on the new coach. My DW and I also just purchased our first. (28ft Fleetwood). I made my extension cord from Lowes purchases but was not able to purchase the 30 amp plugs. The cost was MUCH less than store bought extension cords and it was the length I wanted and not some predetermined length.

In addition to the above GREAT ideas for the basement (which I will also adopt) I would suggest a bucket containing sponges, rags, detergents and polishes and any other items used for keeping that new coach looking new.

Congrats again.

hope to see you down the road.
I am in the process of building my "Care Kit" and am thinking I am going to primarily use Meguiars products...I like their Boat/RV wax and their wash. But I also really like Turtle Wax Ice quick detailer and maybe some of the dry-wash products I have been reading about...and of course, Stoners window spray.

I am in Mico TX, northwest of San Antonio near Medina Lake, where are you guys at?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's not a wax but it seals the paint and lasts a lot longer than wax. We also use it on all of the glass including windshield.

RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine!
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
TXRVMAN, I have a Portercable,6gal pancake model, 150 psi. You need a compressor that will go up to 150psi., in order to air up size 22.5 tires.

Right now Home depot in southern CA., has it on sale from $ 179.00 to $ 159.00 it also comes with a brad nailer gun.
That's the one that goes with me in my Tiffin. Make sure you have a good surge protector: Progressive Industries or Surge Guard will both do the job. I carry a good supply of batteries, D cell, AA and AAA for all the stuff that runs on them. Don't try to take to much at first. You can always add later and for the most part, your not going to be in the middle of nowhere so you'll be able to purchase something if you don't have it. Have fun!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #28

Unless your main power cable is very short, I wouldn't worry too much about a 50amp extension. We have one & last year we did 365 nights on the road, 15k, dozens of different sites & never needed it..... Sewer extension... all the time!

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor