Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #1

Question Air Conditioner won't stay on while driving

I have a 2003 Monaco LaPalma with dual A/C. Both units work great when I am plugged in. However, when I am driving or just parked with the generator on for my dog or for lunch at a rest area, it cuts out. I just use the front one, but have tried different variations (ie: both units, just front, just back). Nonetheless, it won't stay running. Using the A/C while not connected to current always kills my generator. I have tried changing the oil in the generator and trying to keep the carburetor fly open for longer with no success. This made for a very hot trip from Phoenix to LA last year. I am getting ready to go out in hot weather again, but need the A/C. One person told me that if it's 120 outside, my A/C needs to be set no lower than 100. I can't imagine that is correct. I see lots of people driving through the desert with their windows closed and I can't imagine that their A/C is set to 100 and they are comfortable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Cynthia
Georgesgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #2

Ok,

I'm going to say try cleaning your carburetor throttle valve.

If your problem is related to an RPM issue like I had with one of my gensets long ago, the throttle is sticking due to a gummed up throttle valve (butterfly), and you will get an underspeed condition when the load comes on from your second genset, or overspeed when the load is decreased.

These two conditions will shut down your genset for safety.

You can verify the sticking throttle by operating the throttle by hand, full range, with the generator not running.

Also, lets replace the fuel filter to ensure you have no restrictions there.
A partially blocked filter can cause low fuel pressure at the carburetor and invite a vapor lock condition.

There have been fuel pump issues with these generators that will also lead to low pressure followed by vapor lock.

Good luck and pls give us some feed back on this issue

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, I take it this is a gas converted to propane generator? So I would say to take it to a a shop that can work on it. If the A/C's work when plugged in to shore power, then the generator is the problem. Do the A/C's come on and work, then the generator quits? Or when you turn them on, does it kill the generator? Either way, it sounds like the generator needs to be checked out! Hope some one else with better knowledge of the generator you have will come on and help! You need to put the model# and type of geny you have in a reply, to help with the diagnosis! Rail!
Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Well, I take it this is a gas converted to propane generator? So I would say to take it to a a shop that can work on it. If the A/C's work when plugged in to shore power, then the generator is the problem. Do the A/C's come on and work, then the generator quits? Or when you turn them on, does it kill the generator? Either way, it sounds like the generator needs to be checked out! Hope some one else with better knowledge of the generator you have will come on and help! You need to put the model# and type of geny you have in a reply, to help with the diagnosis! Rail!
guardrail53,

I must have missed that part, where did you see it had been converted???

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
DTW, I just assumed that, most diesel MH's that have a generator with a carburetor have been converted to propane! But then again I am assuming that this is a diesel MH? Not sure, and we posted at the same time, so, there you go!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
It would help if you verify if generator is gas, propane, or diesel.
If it is gas, Dtwallace offer some great suggestions. If it is Onan gas, I would suspect the fuel pump. I have had 2 of these and both needed fuel pump replaced around the 120 - 140 hour mark. They had same symptom until they quit running completely.
DENSHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:24 AM   #7

From Monaco's brochure archive, LaPalmas of this year are gas only, with Onan gas generators as original equipment.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 07-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Unless I missed it you did not say in your post how big your gen is....you know..5k..7.5k?? It almost sounds to me like you do NOT have enough generator to run you roof AC's. Can you run one at a time??...JMHO
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone who responded to help me. It is in fact a gas 5.5 Onan. I am thinking that the fuel filter and just a general overhaul to the generator is the answer. My parents had an RV when I was a kid (I am in my 40's now and trying to take my Mom on a few more great trips), so the ins and outs are a little Greek to me. You are all amazing! Hopefully one day I will have insight to give as well instead of questions.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think a 5.5 is to small to run both A/C's at the same time, you may try to run just one and see what happens? Every MH I have had with 2 A/C's has had a 6.5 or bigger generator that could run the two airconditioners at one time! Hope this helps? Rail!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #11

The 5.5 Onans should be able to run both AC's at the same time, at least the newer ones do if running correctly.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:59 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 5.5 is plenty gen to run both. Does the gen quit when the ac unit first tries to start or does it start and run for a bit? When it quits, is it the ac stopping or the gen stalling out?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #13

The a/c only stops because the generator stalls out. Seriou
sly though, for anyone who reads this: You all are amazing!!
Old 07-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #14

Might be a/c needs cleaning?

I just bought a used coach and experienced a similar situation - headed down the road, I was running the generator so I could run ONE of the two roof a/c units. Shortly after the a/c kicks in (1-2 minutes), the generator shuts off. Did this a few times before giving up and continuing on with just dash a/c.

I spoke to a shop about it today, and the first thing he said was that he doubts it's the generator. He thinks the roof a/c units need a thorough cleaning, and if they haven't been cleaned in a couple years, there is a good chance that they are drawing too much current and shutting down the generator.

I don't know much about how these things are wired up; I would expect if the a/c draws excess current, there would be a breaker tripping somewhere before the generator shuts off. But, I wouldn't be surprised if these a/c units are well overdue for a cleaning. Guy at the shop says they remove the units from the roof and do an acid wash and thorough cleaning, not just washing/changing filters. He said if you don't stay on top of this, you'll end up throwing your roof units out and replacing them eventually.

BTW, I have 30A service and a 5.5kW Onan, and so far my understanding is that I can only run one a/c unit at a time, unless I have one on shoreline and the other on the generator. The owner's manual explicitly states that. It's unclear whether I can run both at the same time on the generator.

Tags
air conditioner