Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Air Filter Life Cycle

We are the second owners of a 2005 Kountry Star 39' diesel pusher with a Cummins ISC 330HP engine on a Spartan chassis.

The motorhome was purchase in Oct 2011. All of the original manuals seemed to be there but there were no maintence or service records.

There for the engine oil was changed, all of the Baldwin, oil, fuel, and water seperator filters were replace with Fleetguard Filters. The air dryer filter was replace, there was no moisture in the tanks or dryer. The antifreeze SCA's were checked and adjusted.

The generator was serviced, the chassis lubricated, front hubs checked along with other components.

All of the above services were performed before a 4000 mile round trip from Colorado to Florida this past May. In addition to some local trips there was one trip west on I70 which has 6 & 7% grades reaching an altiude of 11'000 ft. Discounting my inexperience of drive a diesel with mountain grades and altiude the motorhome performed very well. It was also towing a 2003 Silverado 2x4 about 5,500 lbs.

The engine air filter was not changed during the spring maintenace becuase the filter service guage was reading 15%. Additionly since the Fleetguard filters had been replaced with Baldwin filters the air filter had probably been replaced (wrong).

I just finished replacing the Ecolit air filter with a Baldwin filter. When I checked the Ecolit label, label could not be read when the filter was installed, the Ecolit mfg date was 9/15/2004. Making the old filter 7 years 10 months old with 40,000 miles. The filter guage was reading 15 to 18%.

There was no deteriation of the internal filter material it was still firmly mounted in the shell and nothing coming apart. The inlet side was black but the outlet side was still white.

After examining the old filter and how long it was in service it might not be necessary to replace the air filter every two years depending upon the driving conditions.

I will replace the air filter indicator guage.

Other comments,
1. Newmar parts they have been great. I have can and left a message which generaly they call back the same day. However, if Newmar is called early in the morning their time I can get the parts department. You must had you vin # or the unit serial #.

2. The lighted plastic outside assist handle broke. The plastic handle is not available but they have a stainless steel replacement. Newmar replaced the handle at no charge. I did have to do some filling and cutting of the replacement to make it fit.
Beowulf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Replaced my filter a couple weeks ago. My ECO-filter outlet rubber cracked, replaced it with a NAPA filter, can't see the # but there was a post on iRV2 that listed all the filters that fit. On the road and don't have the receipt to get the #, I'll see if I can get it when I get home. Good luck. Jim
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #3

If it is possible 7 years old then change it and start fresh better be safe than sorry over a filter.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If it is possible 7 years old then change it and start fresh better be safe than sorry over a filter.
See paragraph #7... He DID change it.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote