Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
No Problem Randy, I only speak of what worked for me, not what was recommended.

Like I said I did it (well my mechanics) and we stayed in business ...... not one piece of equipment failed due to Blowing out the Filters ....... Mack's, Cummins, Fords, Cat, Duetz, Detroit - all of them ran on Filters that were blown out every year/or week as needed, and like I said that's me and over 20M in equipment over the years.......... Just saying sure seemed to work for me in Maryland Highway construction.

Sorry but you guys really baby these things, I worked in the dirt - dust and Mud - everyday - and it worked for me, These were in the harshest of environment in road contracting - if we bought air filters every week when they were dirty I'd still be working just to pay for the filters. Shoot the pre cleaners on the cat equipment would fill up with DIRT everyday, some days you had to dump them out twice.

Like I said that's just me, hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess
I hear what you're saying. I worked in the Middle East with lots of diesel equipment and we also cleaned air filter elements since new ones were sometimes months away. There was no such thing as shutting down the operation because of an air filter.

That said, motorhomes are a different animal. They tend to sit for long periods of time. Things don't typically Wear Out, they more likely Rot Out. I doubt if you ever had an air filter in any of your construction machines that was two or three years old.
So the rules for these things tend to be different. Much the same as Stand By Equipment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I called Cummins on this question when I was wondering the same thing. I was told in no uncertain terms--replace every 2 years.

I only use the recommended replacement parts because (1) this is what the manufacture recommends, and they should know, and (2) warranty typically requires it. As for #2, even if you never have a warranty claim, it resonates with me that they won't even consider a warranty claim unless you use oem parts, so they must have confidence in their parts recommendations.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's their dollars & risk comfort.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I called Cummins on this question when I was wondering the same thing. I was told in no uncertain terms--replace every 2 years.

I only use the recommended replacement parts because (1) this is what the manufacture recommends, and they should know, and (2) warranty typically requires it. As for #2, even if you never have a warranty claim, it resonates with me that they won't even consider a warranty claim unless you use oem parts, so they must have confidence in their parts recommendations.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's their dollars & risk comfort.

I agree 98%. The part about not considering a claim without OEM parts though is a hot one. It is up to the manufacturer to prove your non OEM part was the cause of failure. I have been on both sides of this situation a few times. Warranty is all about "Defect in Material or Workmanship" . Lots of debate inside that statement.

Having said that, if it was an OEM part and it did in fact cause the failure, the argument is not quite as strenuous.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I agree 98%. The part about not considering a claim without OEM parts though is a hot one. It is up to the manufacturer to prove your non OEM part was the cause of failure. I have been on both sides of this situation a few times. Warranty is all about "Defect in Material or Workmanship" . Lots of debate inside that statement.

Having said that, if it was an OEM part and it did in fact cause the failure, the argument is not quite as strenuous.

The sticking point concerning OEM with an air cleaner is that Cummins doesn't provide the air cleaner so whatever you have isn't OEM to Cummins. Cummins establishes the air flow spec and the chassis builder selects the specific air filter to meet that spec.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, the air minder gauges are useless. They tell you nothing. This discussion has gone on before and I was even condemned by a couple for saying I replace my air filter every 1-2 years, defending on mileage. About a month later, another poster dusted his engine when the filter element got wet and deteriorated in less than two years. The cartridge air cleaners are tougher to inspect and should just be replaced. The removable ones should ONLY be removed for replacement. NEVER blow out a diesel engine filter or beat it on the ground for reuse. That dirt you just blew out or hit on the ground is now moved to the inside of the filter.

I know a lot of people are on a budget and at $150.00 a pop, these filters are expensive, but you had to know this was an expensive hobby. Going cheap on filters is a recipe for disaster.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #20

I run one in my off road Jeep only because it's the only one that will fit with the modifications it has. Years ago we had a new Ford Power stroke diesel service truck and because of it's filter placement, we had to clean or replace it every 1800 miles. We tried a K&N and they would run for 5,000 miles between cleanings using the vacuum bulb indicator. At about 15,000 miles, the engine started using oil. We looked into the intake system and found the intake tube coated with a fine dust all the way to the manifold. No more K&N's for our service trucks. When we traded that truck, it was using a quart every 400 miles. There is a reason that most all heavy construction uses a quality paper filter. A good paper filter will have more surface area to flow air through than the K&N for the same application. Ask yourself, how can less surface area flow more air and not let more dirt through? It can't. The question for me is simple. Do you want a filter that flows more air or one that cleans the air?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Good feed back. I'll add mind
Cost of RV $50k to $500$
Cost of filter $120
Time on install, 15 minutes for me
Please do the math
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The sticking point concerning OEM with an air cleaner is that Cummins doesn't provide the air cleaner so whatever you have isn't OEM to Cummins. Cummins establishes the air flow spec and the chassis builder selects the specific air filter to meet that spec.

Absolutely, and that also applies to the rest of the filters. If it meets, or exceeds, the OEM spec, they cannot refuse a claim based on whether or not an "OEM" part was used. This applies especially to filters. In some cases aftermarket filters may exceed the OEM spec.
I would be willing to bet in the case of an engine that was dusted, the discussion would not be if the filter was OEM but rather if it was properly maintained. Maintenance is Not a "Defect in Material or Workmanship".
Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 AM   #23

So I went to the freightliner dealer and bought a new air filter $110...The filter I had was a baldwin I bought 7 years ago and 30000 miles ago I paid $140 seven years ago. I have to tell you the baldwin is much higher quality and a much better build it has wire mesh on both sides of the filter element ....the new eco type i bought had no mesh and I can see why you would want to replace this every 2 years. The baldwin looks excellent and honestly I probably could have left it alone but based on some posts and to be safe i replaced it. I agree that its cheap insurance and will replace it every 2 years........thanks for everyone's advice
Old 06-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used K&N filters, on my racing motorcycles that I rebuilt at least every year if not sooner, in fact a weekly top end check was normal.
On a $50,000 MH engine NO WAY!! Not worth trying to save a few $$.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Absolutely, and that also applies to the rest of the filters. If it meets, or exceeds, the OEM spec, they cannot refuse a claim based on whether or not an "OEM" part was used. This applies especially to filters. In some cases aftermarket filters may exceed the OEM spec.
I would be willing to bet in the case of an engine that was dusted, the discussion would not be if the filter was OEM but rather if it was properly maintained. Maintenance is Not a "Defect in Material or Workmanship".
What you say is true under the Moss-Magnusson Act. But to prove it will cost a bunch in court since all the manufacturer has to do is stonewall you and you have to sue them. The only ones that "win" are the lawyers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I personally think that "blowing out" a filter cartridge is practical, but you really do need to be cautious about doing it, cause the risk of introducing dirt on the engine side is real. But just because the average RV owner probably shouldn't mess with it doesn't mean it cannot be done in a safe and practical manner. Besides, a poor filter clean-up job is going to give maybe one puff of dirty air into the intake. That's not great, but it's going to do much harm either. The bigger risk is introducing a leak or tear that lets dust in on an ongoing basis. When I hear that somebody "dusted an engine", I'm thinking that is what likely happened.

Filter minders are dumb. All they are doing is measuring vacuum on the intake side of the air system. The greater the restriction in the air intake, the greater the vacuum so the minder reading goes up. My engine performance (Cummins ISL 370) starts to fall off at about 50% on the minder. Normal driving is OK, but max power is decreased and I can tell the difference on steeper grades. By 60% on the minder, even normal acceleration is noticeably affected. Inspecting the filter, I find it isn't very dirty at all. The problem is that my filter cartridge is barely capable of handling the engine air needs when the filter is new, i.e. it is about the very minimum size needed. Just one trip down a dusty campground access road can really affect it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #27

I recently had to replace a C-7 engine (not related to air filter) but C-7 replacement was well above $20K - I do replace the $180 filter every other year. Same (yearly) with oil, fuel and trans filters, etc. May seem like a lot of out of pocket unnecessary expenses when only running a few miles a year but in my opinion good procedure perhaps saving big bucks in the long run.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement