Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Air filter replacement every 2 years true or false

I was in Quartzsite last winter in the big tent talking to the guy in the K&N booth about filters...he was pushing his filters and I almost bought one for $350 but I held off. He said I should replace my OEM filter ever 2 years because the paper deteriorates and will fail... is this true my current filter is only at 20% on the gauge and at $150 a pop I don't want replace it if it's not needed. I also went home and did some research about flow rates and found his info about K&N was not accurate and that the Baldwin air filter in my RV has the best flow rate .
My rig 2003 National 8.3 cummings

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalbuquerqu View Post
I was in Quartzsite last winter in the big tent talking to the guy in the K&N booth about filters...he was pushing his filters and I almost bought one for $350 but I held off. He said I should replace my OEM filter ever 2 years because the paper deteriorates and will fail... is this true my current filter is only at 20% on the gauge and at $150 a pop I don't want replace it if it's not needed. I also went home and did some research about flow rates and found his info about K&N was not accurate and that the Baldwin air filter in my RV has the best flow rate .
I would never never ever put a k&n on a street car or off road..

and never never ever ever on a coach that goes to Quartszsite

Old 06-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

There are lots of discussions on this topic. Here is the general consensus.

Yes, the Eco Lite canister filter should be replaced at least every three years Maximum. When it's replaced, it is Critical to make sure the connectors and general area are clean to avoid getting any debris into the intake system during the change.
As far as the K&N is concerned, from all I have read, their claims are somewhat embellished. If this filter was as good as they claim, and saves what they claim, don't you think the engine manufacturer would use it if it reduces coast and they are confident it won't result in warranty claims?

For a $150 every 2-3 years, why would anyone want to risk a $20,000 engine rebuild to save a buck?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #4

Been running K&Ns for Years with an outerwear. Have had the oil analyzed, and everything is perfect. So there ya go. Different strokes for different folks. I'm a believer.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Been running K&Ns for Years with an outerwear. Have had the oil analyzed, and everything is perfect. So there ya go. Different strokes for different folks. I'm a believer.
I think they work good where there is more rain... dusty desert...nope.. I was a k7n dealer and had k&n on everything... wipped out a motor once and that was it... also noticed fine sand past the filter regulary..
Old 06-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
True...
I replace my filter every two years, and as noted in a previous
post why would you try to push the envelope to save a
few bucks and risk the damage to your engine ?
K&N filters do not filter out the smallest particles, which
is why they allow more air to flow. Not what I would
like to have on my engine. JMHO, but I've seen
independent lab results that provide support.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

Yes... EVERY two years.. You can not see the filter element inside and under the right conditions it can deteriorate.... You don't want a dusted engine ... A new filter is cheep insurance.

Randy W
Old 06-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #8

I WILL say I wouldn't run a K&N on a DP, but only because of the da** cost of the motor. That being said, I run one on my offroad vehicle, and I only ride in the sand. The outerwear makes all the difference, as my throttle body is always spotless. So, we should move on. The other forum I'm on got into a K&N vs ???? argument, and there are still folks that wont talk to each other!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
I WILL say I wouldn't run a K&N on a DP, but only because of the da** cost of the motor. That being said, I run one on my offroad vehicle, and I only ride in the sand. The outerwear makes all the difference, as my throttle body is always spotless. So, we should move on. The other forum I'm on got into a K&N vs ???? argument, and there are still folks that wont talk to each other!
I've also run the k&n on my sand cars.... but I think the differance is I clean and re oiled them after every use....surely wouldn't run one for two years before cleaning.... would you?

I ve also heard this... a dirty paper filter flows more than a dirty K&N...

and I'll still talk to you....I think I have less than 10 on ignore here
Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Submitted for consideration:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf air filters.pdf (430.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalbuquerqu View Post
IMHO - MY Opinion - is as an RV we use these filters very little, so again, IMHO - the rule might be different.

Personally - a try to check and blow out my filters every year - just my own personal preference, after 30+ years in construction with hundreds of larger diesels I have never seen an air filter tear or the paper go bad - and a 5 year plus life was not uncommon. (Never had an engine failure due to air issues, and we worked in the dirt and DUST)

So if you keep an eye on it, IMHO it will be fine, thinking every 50K miles would be good.

But that's just me, I'm limited to my on personal Experience, where we kept our machines for 10,000 hours plus and ran the crap out of them.

JMHO
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
IMHO - MY Opinion - is as an RV we use these filters very little, so again, IMHO - the rule might be different.

Personally - a try to check and blow out my filters every year - just my own personal preference, after 30+ years in construction with hundreds of larger diesels I have never seen an air filter tear or the paper go bad - and a 5 year plus life was not uncommon. (Never had an engine failure due to air issues, and we worked in the dirt and DUST)

So if you keep an eye on it, IMHO it will be fine, thinking every 50K miles would be good.

But that's just me, I'm limited to my on personal Experience, where we kept our machines for 10,000 hours plus and ran the crap out of them.

JMHO

"Blow out an air filter" on a diesel ......no no no no no no no! Please no! For those of you out there who are new to diesels, please don't take that advise... Yes the paper inside the filter will break down over time.. I have seen it. Blowing it does nothing but make the filter worse...Research these blogs and you will find several that have.. It's only a filter .. Change it regularly.

Busskipper.. I know you said it's your opinion.... And I am sorry for contradicting you. But you should never blow out a modern day paper air filter... Not trying to start something.. Dusting is a real expensive problem and a filter is cheap. Why take the chance?

Randy W
Old 06-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
"Blow out an air filter" on a diesel ......no no no no no no no! Please no! For those of you out there who are new to diesels, please don't take that advise... Yes the paper inside the filter will break down over time.. I have seen it. Blowing it does nothing but make the filter worse...Research these blogs and you will find several that have.. It's only a filter .. Change it regularly.

Busskipper.. I know you said it's your opinion.... And I am sorry for contradicting you. But you should never blow out a modern day paper air filter... Not trying to start something.. Dusting is a real expensive problem and a filter is cheap. Why take the chance?

Randy W
No Problem Randy, I only speak of what worked for me, not what was recommended.

Like I said I did it (well my mechanics) and we stayed in business ...... not one piece of equipment failed due to Blowing out the Filters ....... Mack's, Cummins, Fords, Cat, Duetz, Detroit - all of them ran on Filters that were blown out every year/or week as needed, and like I said that's me and over 20M in equipment over the years.......... Just saying sure seemed to work for me in Maryland Highway construction.

Sorry but you guys really baby these things, I worked in the dirt - dust and Mud - everyday - and it worked for me, These were in the harshest of environment in road contracting - if we bought air filters every week when they were dirty I'd still be working just to pay for the filters. Shoot the pre cleaners on the cat equipment would fill up with DIRT everyday, some days you had to dump them out twice.

Like I said that's just me, hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I guess
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post

Randy W

You are exactly right Randy. Most of our filters are the mediocre Eco/Ecolite. When you take it off for inspection, you are opening the clean side of the intake plumbing. It's easy to introduce a leak in the intake plumbing without knowing it. Trying to "blow out" the filter medium, even if you can without damaging it, disturbs the "dust cake on the face of the filter medium. The dust cake is necessary to bring the filter up to its maximum effectiveness. Decide the length of time you are comfortable with for filter life. I've decided on 3 years. I'm intending to redo my intake plumbing next winter to include a permanent filter housing and trashing the borderline Farr Eco/Ecolite.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement