Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air filters

Is the K&N air filter as superior as they indicate and if so how do I find one for my 2012 Itasca 37F V-10

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

No, it is one of the worst rated air filters for actual filtering ability.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can buy a lot of OEM filters for the same money and don't have to wash and oil them. I am also sure of the filtering properties.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #4

All I have read, tells me the K&N filter is not as good as the OEM product. Stands to reason. Why would an engine manufacturer use a sub par filter to protect their engine?
Second, on a MH, one might expect to change filters every couple years at most so what is a hundred bucks or so over two plus years compared to the expense of changing to another system that MIGHT be as good as the OEM.
IMHO, makes no sense.....
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #5

If all the tests etc rate K&N as the worst filter then why have they been a thriving successful company ? I play in the So Cal deserts in all kinds of vehicles in all kinds of conditions with K&N filters for years with zero problems. All I'm saying is don't be mislead by people who don't want you to buy a certain product but steer you towards theirs. A K&N filter has been on my Motorhome for 12 years and when I take it off the intake area is clean as a whistle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3502102939.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	48786

Here's my sons 66' Chevelle in K&N's 2014 Calendar . You might think my opinion might be biased but I've used them for years and years before he was even born.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

There is a lot of discussion on this site: Air filter
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The K&N's let most of the dust through, which isn't a problem for racing. I used them on my racing motorcycles, but I rebuilt them each season. My MH I want to last, so I won't use a high flow filter like the K&N's, too many tests rate them very low for actual filtering capability.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Take all the subjectivity out of the decision. Compare ISO 5011 test results and pick the best filter for your application. Bear in mind, though, the significance of slight differences in filtration efficiency. For instance, if 100 grams of dust are introduced to three separate filters under test with efficiencies of 99.9%, 99.0% and 96.0%, the three filters will allow the following amount of dust to pass into the engine:

99.9% efficient filter - 0.1 gram
99.0% efficient filter - 1.0 gram (10 times as much)
96.0% efficient filter - 4.0 grams (40 times as much)

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I put a K&N filter on my 2001 Dodge truck the first week I bought it new. I didn't want to keep replacing filters. Today it has 272,000 miles on it and runs like the day I bought it. We live in the country on a gravel road and have to drive one mile from the house to get to black top. I also put one on the DW's Jeep Liberty. I clean and oil them myself on average once every 5-6 months. Success story or just lucky...? They're both diesel engines if that makes a difference? But, based on my experience I'd do it again.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Diesel engines are very sensitive to dust in the air intake. I have done many hours of research on this subject. K&N has conducted a great advertising campaign. In gas engines there is no problem but this is not true for DPs.

I use a Racor filter on my DP. According to a email exchange I had with them the shelf life of their filters is about 3 years and the service life depends on driving conditions and could be upto 5 years.

My advice is, don't go with K&N. Dusting a diesel is an expensive thing to do just for the sake of an air filter.

Happy Trails,
Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

The results of this ISO 5011/SAE J726 air filter test are very informative. I bought a K&N for my 1996 Dodge CTD.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The results of this ISO 5011/SAE J726 air filter test are very informative.
It's my understanding that a EFI engine that is operating in the closed loop portion of the fuel map, that is not wide open, uses the O2 sensor to keep the fuel mixture correct for the demand. In this case, more air doesn't get you more fuel anyway. I'm not sure more air equals more fuel at WOT either, unless fuel is a direct function of mass flow.

In a Diesel engine more air doesn't equal more power unless you add fuel. There is almost always more air than is needed to burn the fuel added anyway.

With the info that is contained in the ISO 5001 test plus knowing the above, what would be the value of a higher flow air filter that passes more dirt in a non racing application?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The results of this ISO 5011/SAE J726 air filter test are very informative. I bought a K&N for my 1996 Dodge CTD.
I don't understand your enthusiasm for K&N. It is the worst or next to worst filter of those tested. As I said earlier in summation. Don't sacrifice quality for convenience on a diesel. The risk of damage is not worth the cost of repair and downtime on your DP. As good as many think Amsoil is, I won't even risk my equipment to it. I use Royal Purple. Maybe I am just a fanatic.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
As a point of interest the OP said he has a 37F V-10 gas engine. I don't use a K&N on the DP, but I haven't had any problems using this filter on the other two diesels. Also, using the K&N air filter did not void the warranty on either the Jeep or the Dodge.