Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Air Filters and Air Filter Minders...

Greetings Fellow RVers...
Okay, so I've been RVing for decades but I am a total "noob" with my new diesel pusher...

Question of the Day: How accurate are Air Filter Minders. And how often do you really replace your air filters in your diesel pusher?

My Dutch Star is brand new - only 3 months old, and has only 4600 miles on it. My Air Filter Minder is only one little line away from the red "REPLACE FILTER" line. I reset it once and it went right back to the same setting.

My trucker friends tell me I should be getting about 2 years service from an air filter and that the Air Filter Minders are notoriously inaccurate...

Thanks in advance for any and all comments...

LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would not count on it. My coach was 9 years old when we got it. The minder was in the green all the time thus he never replaced the air filter!!
I found a lot of junk including a few dead birds in there when replacing it.
Thinking 2 years is a good replacement schedule.
The air your engine gets is as important as yours.
JMHO

Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Your trucker friends are probably right about the air minder. Buy another minder if you want , there cheap. Check out your present one to make sure it works. Hose off and suck on it, make it move, might be stuck. Pay attention what roads you run. 2 years is about right, running gravel roads, and in the rain, stored out side in all kinds of weather. Better conditions then above and she will serve you better.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

I have never trusted the plastic air minder. I have always changed out the air filter at the recommended intervals. In my past experience with new cars, trucks, heavy equipment, motorhomes, etc.... I have changed out the air filter within the first 6 month break-in period. Due to sanding, painting, etc., the air filters get fouled at the manufacturer and also there gets to be some oil contamination of the air filter. It is a small investment to protect your engine! As the Fram ad said " You can pay me now, or you can pay me later!"
Skip3370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you do 5K-7K miles a year, you can go 3 years. If you do 10K -15K a year, you should be changing every two years. Make sure that when yo buy a new filter that it's fairly fresh stock. Since most DP filters don't let you see inside (sealed units) you never know what they look like and if hey have any water damage. For that reason, they recommend changing every 2-3 years.

I know many are on a budget and will run the filters for several years, but I prefer to keep my coach performing the best possible with clean filters.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

If you need a filter...of any kind for your DP, try this:

https://www.finditparts.com

Best prices I have found.
gary rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My '02 DSDP ALWAYS ran just under the red. Had I kept the rig I was planning on upgrading the filter and tubing into the turbo.
Present rig has a huge filter and tubing but then the engine is almost twice as big too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #8

My thanks to everyone that responded. Getting your input is a big help. I contacted the Cummins national Tech Support line and they also recommended just changing it out at the recommended service intervals and not to worry about the AirMinder.

Safe travels everyone! Have a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2018!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I used to run trucks in very dusty conditions. We would change the filters every 3 or 4 months. The filter minders most often never showed accurate.
On my coach i would change it every 2 years and I normally did 6 to 8000 miles a year.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #10

Thanks Slickest! I'll keep all of this filed away. Going to see if Newmar will replace both under warranty.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #11
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
X-2 on all of the above recommendations. The "minder" on my coach hasn't moved a bit in over 2 years. Worthless.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #12

I also would agree with about every 2 years. There are a couple of indicators that may help. Does your engine start right up or do you have to crank it more than used to. Are your idle rpm's steady and about the same as before? Has your mpg dropped even lower while traveling similar or same roads from trip to trip? If these things are happening it might need to be changed even more often. Consequently. if they are not happening then maybe you can wait a little longer.

JMHO Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:13 AM   #13

Agree with Slickest1, No more than two yrs. I never look at the minder. 10k per yr. For what it is worth while getting a recall done at a Cummins shop I ask shop supervisor what was the number on reason for a early engine rebuild --His words, Dusted Engine, for whatever reason he said people just won't change the air filter. ML...

mlwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air