Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Air Horns/ Train Horns

Who here has upgraded their horns to either a crazy air horn or a Train horn? Want to do a train horn just the pricing varies a lot. Looking for someone that has experience with a particular brand and pros and cons about them.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #2

Nathan Air Chimes are one of the best out there and still used commercially today. Pricey, but very high quality and nice tones. Check out the K3, and if you have the room somewhere, the K5.

Pros: Rebuildable, Parts availability is excellent, very loud so you can even mount under the chassis

Cons: Expensive, large in size, expensive, did I mention expensive?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm really against train horns in ANY vehicles other than trains. Just as little story. When we were traveling out west on a 4 lane undivided highway, I was crossing a set of traintracks. All of a sudden I hear a train horn. Before, while approaching the tracks from a distance, I didn't see any trains coming. Scared the crap out of me. Instictively or more reactionary, I cut the RV to the left with out checking my mirrors. There were no oncoming cars or trucks. Again the horn. In my blind spot was a pick-up with the horn. He was no longer in my blind spot; he was in the most left hand lane where oncoming traffic should have been. I figured out that he was trying to be funny when we were crossing the tracks. Problem is that most people or maybe I should say me, are startled when hearing a warning sound and react, in my case wrongly. Train horns belong on trains. I probably would have reacted differently if the warning sound was a siren. Think how your toy will affect other drivers; then be prepared for the consequences. JM2˘...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

Teddy, excellent points. Unfortunately the idiot didn't realize that he could have caused serious issues by using his horn near the train tracks which could have resulted in a panic stop on your part which could have lead to serious consequences for those near or behind you. As the saying goes, you can't fix "stupid".

However in most cases I run across "lane-runners" that love to whip and dip in and out of traffic in an attempt to circumvent a line of traffic. Unfortunately, most of these idiots have their stereos and subwoofer speaker systems so loud I can feel the vibration in the floors of my 40' diesel motorhome when they're 10 cars behind me.. they certainly cannot hear standard truck type air horns. I also seem to encounter poor on-ramp mergers. You know the type.. the ones that lurk 20mph less than current traffic speed and attempt to merge from the on-ramp then instantly change to the center lane still doing 20mph less than the speed of traffic. Meanwhile anything not directly bolted down in my coach comes forward while I damn near panic brake. This situation is easily resolved - a short burst from a nice Nathan AirChime K3LA helps them find the throttle quick, fast and in a hurry.

Bottom line, regardless of the warning devices we choose to use, a whole lot of common sense must be applied to how/when/why it's used.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #5

Train horns on anything other than a train are mostly highly frowned upon by law enforcement. Many citations are issued for such, especially when mounted on pickup trucks. On a big RV you better have a real emergency reason to blow one or risk a fine of several hundred dollars for noise or safety issues.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
94-Newmar,
I think it's safe to say that all of us who have driven these rigs long enough have plenty of experiences like what you describe. That said, honking louder isn't likely to solve the problem, and may lead to issues described above--and also angers drivers who have already demonstrated to you that they are inconsiderate. Do you really want that? Road rage is real...I try not to contribute to it. Sometimes it's difficult, I admit!!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

Mine has air horns so no need to upgrade. They do the job.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
I have heard but do not know the train horns on 18 wheelers or RVs are illegal in many states check the laws before you switch.

Ph.D. Psychology, Applied Sports Psychology
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
I'm really against train horns in ANY vehicles other than trains. Just as little story. When we were traveling out west on a 4 lane undivided highway, I was crossing a set of traintracks. All of a sudden I hear a train horn. Before, while approaching the tracks from a distance, I didn't see any trains coming. Scared the crap out of me. Instictively or more reactionary, I cut the RV to the left with out checking my mirrors. There were no oncoming cars or trucks. Again the horn. In my blind spot was a pick-up with the horn. He was no longer in my blind spot; he was in the most left hand lane where oncoming traffic should have been. I figured out that he was trying to be funny when we were crossing the tracks. Problem is that most people or maybe I should say me, are startled when hearing a warning sound and react, in my case wrongly. Train horns belong on trains. I probably would have reacted differently if the warning sound was a siren. Think how your toy will affect other drivers; then be prepared for the consequences. JM2˘...

Have not had that experience but I agree completely. Horns are for alerting people not playing games especially with train horns.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
https://www.hornblasters.com/product...i=katrina-horn
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No you can't fix stupid but you can numb it with a 2 x 4

Old 08-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #12

My cousin used to have a real 3 trumpet train air horn on his truck and at 200 psi you didn't want to be near it when he pulled the cord.
BTW, it was illegal for him to use it. He was careful.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
At 150-175psi a train whistle will produce 140-176db at the bells, and must be not less than 96db at 100' in front of the train.

If you are connecting a replica train whistle to your 135(max) air system it isn't going to be any louder than the air horn already installed, which is about 117db at the bells. What is noticeable is the musical note that the train whistle sounds at.

Is playing locomotive at a crossing under full air power stupid, of course it is.

But when somebody is about to cut 33,000lbs of me off with their re-cycled coke can, you bet...a short blast will wake them up. It's either that or hit them cause at speed I'm not veering into oncoming traffic or another lane to cause an accident. On today's congested roads, pretty hard in a MH to keep an avenue of clear escape. Unlike if I am in my ZL1 my skills and the auto's power and handling can likely get me out of a situation another driver forced me into.

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote