Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #1

Air in water lines

I put fresh water into my rig for the first time. It is a brand new fleetwood 28S 2013. I cannot get the air out of the lines. I've checked all the faucets, plugs and valves to ensure they are closed. But the water pump runs when all are closed so air is getting in somewhere. Any suggestions as to how I can track this down. ( All faucets have air in them when opened one at a time.)

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would start with the faucet farthest from the water pump and run it until there is no more air. Then do the next to the closest. Do both hot and cold (one at a time).
Don't forget the outside faucets, shower, tank flushes, etc.
Don't drain the water tank dry (suck air) or you must start again.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Check your drain valves. Should be closed. Also check you bathroom.
If the system is full and pump is running with nothing on, you might have a water leak somewhere.
tcopeland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Make sure the suction hose is not kinked, it looks like this is a new unit. Manufacturing defects
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is any water at all coming out of the faucets or is it all air?
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

You will have run each faucet one at a time and let the air out. Would be easier if you hook up to city water with your hose. You will want to open the pressure valve on water heater tank till it flows out of it also. May have to do one for a while, then switch back. You will know when you are all good. Good luck
Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check to see if you have your fill valve in the right position. Is it in the fill position or the service position. If it's in the fill position the pump will run all the time. That's what it does on mine anyway, just a thought. Jim
Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

Blow it out with shore water first. Then see how onboard water works.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

Pumps have a hard time picking up water for the first time unless all faucets are left open to allow the pump to push the air out and eventually suck up the water. At that point the pump will start pumping properly and the air will soon be pushed out.

Also the first time you will be filling the HW tank and that will take several minutes.

If that doesn't work then you can put it down to your first experience of both manufacturer and dealer failing to do the job they were paid for and hoping you will understand that they can't be expected to get everything in such a complex machine to work first time or second or tenth and that you will fix it for them.

BTW do you know for sure that the tank is full??
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #10

I agree with rvjimmy, check to make sure the tank fill valve is not in the fill position.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Note that the pump can run continuously for reasons other than air in the lines. The most common one is leaving the tank fill valve in the fill position, which basically just pumps water right back into the tank. Another is a leak or an open drain valve, either of which will prevent the pump from building enough pressure to reach the shutoff point. Still another is debris on the pump inlet screen, which prevents the pump from getting enough water to build up pressure quickly.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
I put fresh water into my rig for the first time. It is a brand new fleetwood 28S 2013. I cannot get the air out of the lines. I've checked all the faucets, plugs and valves to ensure they are closed. But the water pump runs when all are closed so air is getting in somewhere. Any suggestions as to how I can track this down. ( All faucets have air in them when opened one at a time.)

Thanks!
Where did you put fresh water in? Fresh water tank or hook hose up to water inlet(main hook up)? Usually if water pump continues to run with everything shut off it is leaking somewhere! If pump runs when you open a water valve you should eventually get water. When all water gets in lines (toilet, bathroom, kitchen, shower, water heater) you should get water out of both hot and cold sides. If you get air then the pump may not be primed and is not picking up the water. I would try to connect hose to rv and open faucet fartherest from supply as suggested above. You have a valve close to the hot water heater that should be close as it will only let the water bypass heater and not fill it up. You also have a valve that should be closed close to the water heater as water will just run out on the ground. It is a water drain line. Hope this helps. Someone with more experience hopefully will come along that has more ideas. hope you get it solved.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, I'm surprised that the dealer did not fill the tank and do any leak-testing before you took delivery. That should have been a part of make-ready IMO. Since it is a new unit, can you take it back to the dealership and get them to help you determine the problem?

You might contact Fleetwood Customer Service to see if they have a procedure to follow for first-time water fill up. Good luck to you, and don't get discouraged.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #14

If you have a city water fill, make sure it is off. Make sure you have at least 1/3 tank of water. And make sure any "winterizing vales" are closed or set to normal. Make sure the plug/anode rod is in the water heater. And make sure the low point drains are closed. Then open a faucet, to vent air while the pump picks up the water from the tank. You have to leave a open faucet till you get water into the system. When the pump picks up water from the tank you should hear the tone change. Once you get water out the 1'st one go around to every faucet & the toilet and bleed the air. If filling the water heater it will take some time to get water out the hot side.

Tags
water