Originally Posted by wimberleyman
Thanks for all the pictures Charlie. You put a lot of thought and work into that. I'll do something similar when I tackle mine (when it gets much cooler). One question. Is picture number 2 from the top looking down? If so, it looks like the top part is metal or some other type of rigid tube.
I'm sorry that picture #2 was at such a weird angle. It is actually looking forward, parallel to the frame rails. The muffler is just to the right of the picture. I was trying to do my best to show the pipe and where it connects to the 90 degree "el" than goes into the bottom of the air filter. Picture #5 shows that same pipe and how it is parallel to the muffler.
In the foreground of that picture is the metal tube. It is definitely heavy. When we first bought the RV, the tube just flopped up and down because its only connection was to the rubber el. I added a bracket to the bottom of the air filter mount which then gave me some place to connect metal straps which support it.
The former owner had overheating problems and had taken it to the Ft. Worth Freightliner dealer under warranty. I tried to get them to tell me exactly what they had done, working to Freightliner Custom Chassis to resolve that overheating. I've never had it. I suspect that there were changes to the intake area but have no evidence to support that.
Tomorrow, I'm going to put on the metal straps. I looked all around for some wide metal to spread the load of the straps on the rubber pipe. I finally decided on some dry wall corner bead which . I'm going to cut it to length which will be slightly longer than the circumference of pipe, flatten it and then put the band over it, fastening the two together with machine screws. It will end up about 2" wide which I'm satisfied with. Two of those should keep the new pipe in place on the roughest road. If I get a chance, I'll post of picture of one of them one I'm finished.