Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Air leak and noise

Scenario; I have just merged onto an interstate from a rest area and was passed by a truck as I did. The truck slowed down a bit and got beside me signaling to pull over. I did, he did, and when I saw him he said as he passed he could hear my air compressor cutting on and off. He advised that could be a significant air leak. We then went on our way. I walked around the rear and couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. After we got back on the road my girlfriend went back in the bedroom listening and didn't hear anything unusual.

Both gauges, front and rear air, hold steady around 110psi+-. When I shut down and dump the air the front drops to around 65psi but not below. Rear holds around 100. When starting, initially I have a low air alarm due to low front pressure but quickly goes out as pressure rises and coach returns to ride height. Normal purging after airing up but a couple times I would get rapid frequent purges, one every few seconds, when at high idle. Returned to normal purge when back to normal idle.

Curious what the trucker could have heard as he passed me. Hard to think he would go to the trouble to just "play a game". After we got in got the night, I left the coach "up" and listened for some sort of leak but heard none.

Any one have any ideas? Itasca is on a Freightliner chassis with 4 air bags.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #2

Only thing I can think of would be the normal; momentary; discharge from the air system dryer, maybe if the purge was rapid cycling as you say happens occasionally. But how anyone could here that when passing driving a rig, is beyond me.
From your description your air system operation is normal.
Your air suspension , and air horns ( exhaust brake if equipped ) all take air from the one tank , and when dumping there is a protection valve that holds that tank pressure at 65 PSI , so you have air for braking in case of an air suspension blow out.
Have you serviced the air dryer?
Do you pull the tank drain lanyards to check for water in the system ? F/L says to do this every six months , I do it before every long trip.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Dryer Maintenance web version.pdf (161.5 KB, 13 views)

Old 09-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have all the above equipment on board and everything works. Air suspension works good with no apparent slop or leaning, horns work, gauges hold steady while driving.

There are "3" air tanks, 2 physical and one has 2 compartments. The lanyards are not easily accessible but I did pull them off several months ago. I'm parked on a concrete pad today and will crawl in there and give them a tug for good measure. Air dryer was serviced with new filter last fall. When I completed my pre trip inspection/maintenance last spring I spent a lot of time under the coach on a creeper inspecting airlines especially when I set the ride height front and rear. I did install the M&G brake for the toad but it taps into the rear brakes and that gauge stays above 100 and all systems work good.

Yes I wonder what he thought he heard and perhaps a trucker could comment on that aspect too.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

Not a trucker but retired truck mechanic. We are tuned to air system issues.

Can you hear your air dryer purge, while underway ?

When you dump the suspension, I don't think the tank pressure should drop.

You should get the air up to 120 psi, leave it running, and take a walk around to listen for leaks.

Do that with the parking brake on and then off, with the wheels chocked.

While running, parked, the dryer shouldn't be purging more then every 30 minutes or so.

If your sitting, you use no air, so the compressor shouldn't need to refill the tanks and then tell the dryer to purge.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I am a trucker and find it hard to believe he would hear another vehicle's air problem over the noise of his own rig as he was passing!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

I was wondering about that and a thought was he was trying to mess with me. When I exited the rest area there was plenty of room with oncoming traffic, I was at full throttle but he did move over to the left lane and maybe he felt inconvenienced. Seems to be a lot of trouble to just cause confusion.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I was wondering about that and a thought was he was trying to mess with me. When I exited the rest area there was plenty of room with oncoming traffic, I was at full throttle but he did move over to the left lane and maybe he felt inconvenienced. Seems to be a lot of trouble to just cause confusion.
I can not believe he heard your air system from his truck. A lot of truckers hate mortorhome drivers. I think he thought he could "phsyche" you out and make you worry yourself sick.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I can not believe he heard your air system from his truck. A lot of truckers hate mortorhome drivers. I think he thought he could "phsyche" you out and make you worry yourself sick.

My first thoughts but figured I'd ask here if anyone had other ideas.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You never know he may of thought you were an easy score and after seeing you decided to move on. There is all kinds out there.

Tags
leak, noise