Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #15

Yea!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #16

Have a dumb question if the air filter is removed do you lose air on the brakes ?

2003 Monico Windsor 370HP
Full timing out of Silver Springs, FL

Toad: Volvo

hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshiner View Post
Have a dumb question if the air filter is removed do you lose air on the brakes ?

Yes. And be certain that all air is drained BEFORE removing or disconnecting any part of the chassis air system.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #18

It is common practice to drain the air system, whenever working on it but you can remove the large lines to the air dryer without losing air. Once the Air Dryer blows off, it is empty. Thats how it removes the water and oil from the system.
The tank air is blocked from coming back by check valves. The small line will leak air until the wet tank drops to 90 pounds, the pressure the governor turns the compressor back on.

If you leave it disconnected you will not deliver any air to your system, this is why you need to connect the lines to each other.

Your question asks if you will "lose air ON the brakes". If your concern is the M/H rolling, the parking brake on a air brake system is spring activated and comes on automatically, when the pressure drops below 60 pounds. When you apply the parking brake, you are actually releasing air from the spring brake chambers.

Hope this Help
Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #19

Thanks

hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The part that is leaking is the Air Dryer safety valve, used to protect from over-pressure. You need to find out why it blew.

The air dryer is installed to eliminate the need to drain your air tanks often. It is still good practice to drain all of your tanks a few times a year.

The order of components is "Engine mounted Compressor", "Air Dryer", "Wet tank" and then 1 or 2 "Dry tanks". Sometimes 1 of the tanks is a dual tank, so it would have 2 drains.

The line from the Air Dryer goes to the wet tank fitting, that has a check valve in it, to hold the air in the system, when the compressor stops pumping.

From the wet tank, there is a small line that runs back to the governor, that is mounted on the compressor. If that line is leaking, the compressor will not stop pumping, causing the safety fuse to blow.
There is also a small line from the governor to the Air Dryer, that sends a signal to the air dryer to open the un-loader valve, whenever the set pressure is reached. If that line is leaking the compressor will cycle often, with the air dryer un-loading every few minutes.
Another reason for an Air Dryer cycling, is a leaking wet tank check valve. As the wet tank air leaks back thru the Air Dryer exhaust, the pressure drops and re-starts the compressor.

The pressure gauges you see in the cab are hooked to the 2 dry tanks, so, even though the pressure looks normal, the wet tank could be leaking because there are other check valves to protect your air supply when something goes bad.

Hope this helps

My 92 CC has been un-loading every 30 seconds or so for three years now, I thought this was normal, I guess I need to check that line from the governor to the drier, How do I find the leak ? does it have to be running to find it? My presure is good doesn't go over 120 psi, but will leak down after a week or so of setting,
Thanks,
Benny
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #21

Since most older Air Dryers are aftermarket, the un-loader line is not run as carefully as factory.

As soon as the Air dryer un-loads, have someone shut down the engine and listen for a leak, somewhere along the line from the compressor to the Air Dryer. You have 30 seconds to hear and find the leak, before you need to start it up again. Look for chafing at the clamps that hold it near the engine. Vibration will wear thru the line.

The un-loader on the Air Dryer is tied into the compressor un-loader. That means your compressor has been cycling on and off every 30 seconds.

If your 1992 air system holds air for a week, you don't have a problem there.

Good luck, be carefull
Old 11-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #22

Are these air check valves? the one on the left seeps air around the edges where the seam is, it is mounted on the bottom tank the one on the right just looks like a T it's on the top tank,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10685580_816633445060078_9061106300450365880_n.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	78315   Click image for larger version

Name:	10425440_816633328393423_7874275508872115729_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	78316  

1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #23

The one on the left is a pressure regulator. If you have a large loss of air pressure. due to a failure, the regulator will cut air supply to horns, air seats and other non priority items, conserving air for the brake systems.

If that regulator is in the wet ( first ) tank, that could be your problem.

If you follow your air line, from the Air Dryer to what ever tank it goes to, that connection will have a check valve ( that looks like a normal fitting ) and is the wet tank.

The one on the right, looks like an isolation valve, to block loss of air in one tank if there is a large leak in the other. When everything is normal air is drawn from both tanks.

The 2 dry tanks are setup as independent supply tanks for your brakes, sort of like a dual master cylinder on a car, except all the brakes will work, even if one tank is ripped open.

Make sure you drain all the air out of the system, before un-hooking things, down there.

Good Luck
Old 11-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #24

Thank you very much, The coach has been operating like this from the time we bought it, no telling how long it's been this way, The PO said thats just the way it does......
Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The 2 dry tanks are setup as independent supply tanks for your brakes, sort of like a dual master cylinder on a car, except all the brakes will work, even if one tank is ripped open.
Good Luck
On my Freightliner chassis, tank #1 supplies the air to the front brakes, and tank #2 supplies air to the rear brakes.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #26

Did some research to stir up the brain cells and found you are right about the dual air system, where Tank 1 supplies the front and Tank 2 supplies the rear brakes.

With a complete loss of Tank 1 air, you would be stopping with the rear brakes.

With a complete loss of Tank 2 air, Tank 1 supplies the front brakes and an Inversion valve. That valve will apply the rear, spring brakes, thru the brake pedal, using the Tank 1 air.
This is setup to give you a few applications of brakes, to get off the road, instead of the rear spring brakes coming on and stopping you in your tracks.

It's been a long time since Air Brake School.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #27

benford,

My Freightliner was chuffing air every 30 seconds or so. I found that the line from the D2 governor to the air dryer was cut and leaking air. I changed out the grey line and the problem went away.

My lines are push in and pull out joints at both ends. When I put air into the line I found the leak.

I had serviced the air dryer prior to this thinking that may fix it. It needed it anyway as I found that the cartridge was the original from the factory. ( it had the last six of my VIN on it ). Over 10 years!

Good luck.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPD218 View Post
benford,

My Freightliner was chuffing air every 30 seconds or so. I found that the line from the D2 governor to the air dryer was cut and leaking air. I changed out the grey line and the problem went away.

My lines are push in and pull out joints at both ends. When I put air into the line I found the leak.

I had serviced the air dryer prior to this thinking that may fix it. It needed it anyway as I found that the cartridge was the original from the factory. ( it had the last six of my VIN on it ). Over 10 years!

Good luck.

Thanks, I am off work today through the weekend, maybe I can solve this by then ,

Tags
leak