Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Air leaks

My DW and I are full-timing and generall stay at a given location for 2-3 months. Recently I started noticing that after we park and I leave the coach, the step is well above the ground and 4 or 5" above our ground step. However, this last parking we arrived late at night and opted to g a good nights sleep and attack the set up in the A.M. When I started to leave the coach the next morning, the step was only an inch above the landing step. My concern is that how will this affect the slide out once I have the supports under it. In addition, I have notice that whenever we park the MH for any length of time, there is always some amount of settling even with the jacks down. I have concidered adding some additional bottle jacks; one for stability, and two, to take some of the stress off of the hydraulic system. I need some opinions...please.

free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #2

Quote:
My concern is that how will this affect the slide out once I have the supports under it. In addition, I have notice that whenever we park the MH for any length of time, there is always some amount of settling even with the jacks down. I have considered adding some additional bottle jacks; one for stability, and two, to take some of the stress off of the hydraulic system.
I'm going to take a stab at offering my opinion here. I see no problem with placing additional jacks under the coach providing you place them very close to the same place the stabilizer jacks are located. But I don't see and need to. The stabilizers are designed to handle the load and really don't need help. I can understand the occasional settling from ground compressing under the stabilizers, but that is easily fixed by re-leveling.

I was wondering what you meant about "supports under it". Are you referring to placing supports under the slides after you deploy them? I was under the impression that one should never place a support under the slide out for the very reason you mention. If the coach settles and the room is additionally supported then the room can't settle with the coach and that places a undo stress on the room.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post

I was wondering what you meant about "supports under it". Are you referring to placing supports under the slides after you deploy them? I was under the impression that one should never place a support under the slide out for the very reason you mention. If the coach settles and the room is additionally supported then the room can't settle with the coach and that places a undo stress on the room.
The supports I'm referring to are the ones from Camping World designed to support the slide outs. The philosophy is, that without these, the weight on the support arms can cause flexing if e slide out is left extended for a long while. My concern is that I may have a leaking seal in the pneumatic system so I wanted to run it past someone who may be familiar with a similar occurrence.
Thanx for that concerned reply, Ill have to check it out and post my findings.
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #4

If you don't have an air leveling system, I would think you would dump the air from the air bags before deploying the leveling jacks. On my coach, I hit the air dump switch before deploying the jacks.

It's fairly normal for an air system to slowly lose air over a period of time. Some will hold it for weeks, and others will leak down within a few hours.

If the settling is not due to compression of the ground, then maybe the jacks are slowly retracting. If hydraulic, could be leaking seal or leaking valve.

I would not be comfortable placing supports under the slide as the possibility of the coach settling down could place undue stress on the slide assembly.

Fred
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would never place slide supports under your slides the jacks are only to stabilize your coach not make a permanent foundation.
When you walk in coach there will be some movement felt through out the coach and this slit rocking would transfer to your slides, if they had supports under them and cause flexing of slide floor and the seals of open slide and side walls of coach.
If you have a leak in any jack line it needs to be fixed or its possible the reservoir tank fluid level needs to be checked with all jacks retracted and fill to between the lines on bell vent shaft.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

I don't know what coach you have or what type suspension and leveling system you have but my old '94 has air suspension and hydraulic jacks. The air leaks down faster than I like but the hyd jacks stay put. I don't have slide outs but if I did, I would never put any type of support under a slide. Leveling jack pads are likely to settle when supporting 20-30 thousand pounds. Do you want your slides supporting that weight instead?

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks