Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Air level vs jacks.

One of the coaches we are considering has the HWH air leveling system. Every RV I've owned has had jacks. What will be the biggest difference I'll notice?

Those of you that have had both...which did you like best?

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Like all things, there are strengths and drawbacks to both systems (some coaches even offer BOTH).

Jacks
Pros - Most amount of movement/adjustment. Can literally lift the wheels off the ground. Probably the most "simple" system design. Coach is rock solid when deployed.

Cons - Not uncommon to have them fail...usually in the down position. Requires periodic maint. Can get stuck in mud or soft ground. It's a whole 'nother system.

Air Leveling
Pros - Super easy and quick. Allows you to also raise or lower the entire coach for temporary clearance issues. Nothing other than the regular tires on the ground. Failure is unusual. No additional maint. Includes an air-ride suspension, typically, for more comfort when driving.

Cons - Coach will still "bounce" a bit. Not the range of adjustment that jacks have. More sophisticated system, so parts more expensive. Will re-adjust occasionally, bringing on the air compressor.

Am I missing anything else?

Personally, I like air leveling.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I believe Marc has nailed it.

Our previous DP, a Winnebago Journey, had the HWH leveling jacks. The had a good amount of travel and you could usually get level on all but the most unlevel sites. Over the 8 years we owned the coach, I had to replace one jack and had a second one acting up when we traded the coach last year.

When we were making a decision on our current rig with only air leveling, I was a bit hesitant. However, after owing the coach for 16 months and traveling from the east to west coast and back, we love the air leveling. It is quick and easy. Since it is a 42' rig, we generally are staying in RV parks that have pretty level sites anyway. As noted, you can feel the coach move just a bit when inside but not to any extent that is annoying or troublesome.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #4

I have had both. Give me the air leveling any time.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
+1
Old 08-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hydraulic & air leveling why?

Last time...��
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Can air leveling be added.We have a 40' Monaco Diplomat 3 point system some times a little hard to get level with out putting things in a bind.
Just though i would ask
Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #8

Air leveling is the one item we wish our coach had. If we ever decide to buy another coach it will be at the top of our list.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

HWH will add air leveling to your coach.

We had it added to our Dutch Star last Oct. We love it best of both worlds.

They have 2 different systems; plain air leveling or active air. Ballpark figures $6000-$12,000, call them for an exact quote.

Welcome to HWH Corporation
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Marks assessment, but disagree with those who prefer air only. If I couldn't have both (which is fairly common), my choice would be hydraulic. That's because we sometimes go to places that need the extra range and stability of a hydraulic jack system. It doesn't have to be rugged country or a shabby campground - just an older place where the sites may be not as level, or the level portion of the site was designed for rigs in the 30-35 foot range. Or places like my niece's driveway, that slopes several inches on the side where we park.

Love to have the ease of air leveling for short stops, though. Lunch in a rest area, for example.

One other small thing: when parked for longer periods, the auxiliary pump for the air leveling will run periodically to replenish the air. That can be fairly frequent if the air system has slight leaks, which is certainly a common enough occurrence. Some people find that disconcerting (I don't).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We have both and if I could only have one it would be the air leveling. Just so much guicker and easier than the hydraulic jacks.

Really like that the air will check and relevel on it's own.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Thanks for the link. I felt sure this had been discussed before but none of my search criteria found it.

Thanks to all for the input, opinions, and experiences. In this thread and the other one it there are several that prefer Air and several that prefer jacks, and several that like both.

Personally, we have been to several parks where our jacks had the front tires off the ground to get level. And these were not old parks! One was actually what you may call a high end RV resort type park; paved sites and streets, beautiful landscaping, and only a year or so old. There we saw one DP with rear tires and tag tires 5 or 6 inches off the ground. I don't think air leveling alone would have worked in these instances.

Another common item through these threads; potential jack failure. In my 25 years of RVing, all with jacks on the RVs, I have never had a failure. Our current Bounder is 10 seasons old this summer with the Atwood Level Leg system and it works great.

Now excuse me while i go find a big piece of wood to knock on!!!

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks