Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Air line to fill tires

I have a 05 Fleetwood Bounder DP Cat eng, is there a line under the front somewere to hook up a line to put air in the tires?
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

That is something the mfgr. put in, and if you have one there's a good chance it doesn't have enough pressure differential to easily fill your tires, since normal cutout pressure of the compressor is 120-135 max. and low cut-in pressure is 85- 100.
I bought one of the 150 psi pancake compressors, it's easy to carry, easy to fill tires, runs almost any tool you would need on the road, and with your onboard genset you always have power.
You'll find numerous threads on this subject, with most of them complaining about having to fan the brakes to engage the compressor and complete tire filling. I considered installing an air line, but the initial cost and inconvenience changed my mind.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

X2 on the portable compressor.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I got one on mine and the only problem is if you need to add air to all six tires it takes a 6-pk of beer and by time you get to the sixth tire you cant read the gauge.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #5

Thank you all for your replies, I am going to buy a 110 compresser.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All three of our DP's have had air to the front. They put it in so tow truck drivers can hook into it and pressurize the system to release the parking brakes. And has been said by Ray,IN above, it is a waste of time if you need any more than about 85 psi. I bought a Coleman tank unit from one of the big box home improvement stores some years ago. Kind of slow, but still better than running the 650 HP "air pump" we now have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #7

All of you have good answers and good reasons. My take is that in 20 years of having air brakes and air hose I have never used it to air up a m.h. tire but plenty of ATV tires and a occasional car. That small usage of air rarely even starts the motor. Yes, I have needed air for the m.h. tire occasionally but it's normally done at home or at a truck stop.

I already carry so much "stuff" I might need that I'm one of those lucky guys with overloaded front axle. I just try my best to limit my weight and not carry anything around for 20 years that I can do without. I have a small canvas bag with 3#of nylon coiled air lines and chuck.
Norbert
Hookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

I made one similar to the one RV Geeks did and like it. I just did all my tires two weeks ago when the weather in Texas changed and I don't find it a problem. Your mileage may vary.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 12v Harbor Freight 150 PSI (seemed like good quality) portable air compressor. I carried it around for years. Maybe used it twice. Slow fill. Weight 20 lbs.?
Then I got a diesel with the air nozzle quick disconnect and coil hoses. In 9 months have not used these either. Why carry a compressor around?
Truck stops have good air lines with enough CFM and pressure. In a pinch I'll use the onboard system. OK so I have to start the engine. Thinking ahead I can air up just before leaving waiting for pressure and engine warmup.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I had a 12v Harbor Freight 150 PSI (seemed like good quality) portable air compressor. I carried it around for years. Maybe used it twice. Slow fill. Weight 20 lbs.?
Then I got a diesel with the air nozzle quick disconnect and coil hoses. In 9 months have not used these either. Why carry a compressor around?
Truck stops have good air lines with enough CFM and pressure. In a pinch I'll use the onboard system. OK so I have to start the engine. Thinking ahead I can air up just before leaving waiting for pressure and engine warmup.
Well,
The problem with a Truck Stop is, there's never one around when you need one. I mean, depending on where you're camped at, at the time, the closest truck stop might be 100 or more miles away. So, you wake up in the morning and, are getting ready to leave or, just walking around your coach with a cup of coffee and, you notice a low tires. Who knows why it went down, maybe a nail, a screw, a loose valve core, a piece of grit etc. in that valve core, who knows?

So, while a scenario like that might not happen all too often, it could and, has in the past. So, having ANY portable compressor or, using the coaches engine compressor would be better than wandering down the road with a low tire for what could be over a 100 miles or more, just to use their air. And, it might be that, that truck stop could be way out of the way, providing you know where one is anyway.

So, while carrying a portable air compressor might be a waste of space and weight to some, it is of importance to others and, space is made for it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Carried compressor for first two RV's. Present one has outlet for being towed and one for adding an air hose to. I have mounted a reel w/75' (to reach a toad) of air hose by the generator. When (on steering wheel) I press the cruise button and the set button, the rpm's stay at 1500, and pressure stays at 115/125. This will continue to give enough pressure to reach 90 lb./100 lb. which is what I use on my tires. This is not for filling all tires, and only used once. Use truck stops when I have to add air to a bunch of tires. So far this works well.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
150 PSI Compressor much better then truck stops

On my most recent cross country trek I had one tire on my tow dolly (requires 90 PSI) that kept throwing "low air" signals to my TPMS and one coach tire that had a minute air leak around the valve stem. I stopped at several truck stop fuel locations where either the truck tire air compressor was turned off or was otherwise unavailable. A real pain in the you know what, to be sure. Moreover, my coach compressor outlets are good for no more then 85 PSI where my coach tires need a minimum of 115 PSI.

Moreover when I finally found a truck tire repair place (I think it was a Love's) they told me they couldn't work on motorhomes. I practically had to beg the serviceman to look the other way at my 36,000 GVWR "non-truck" MH and work on it--which he finally agreed to do.

Problem solved. Purchased a 150 PSI compressor from my favorite, favorite new shopping store --Harbor Freight for the grand total of $70. Works like a charm. Plugged it into a 110v supplied by my generator and filled my tires with no problem at all. The compressor fits perfectly in my basement storage compartment. I already had a 30' air line hose that I use with the compressor and that coupled with a long extension cord allows me to easily reach all of my coach tires as well as the tow dolly tires.

Never again will I have to rely on some dirty, grungy truck stop with an air supply that might or might not work, when I'm on the road.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I carry a 6 Gal 165PSI Pancake compressor and 100' hose. nice to have for RV, trailer and motorcycle too.
W3SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might search for th AB-1 by Dickman Tires. I found one on eBay and will install it once we get our coach.

It's a mechanical piston apparatus that doubles the pressure. They've put a regulator, ball valve, and a safety relief onto the doubler to make it handy for the RV.

Basically it taps into the manifold block in the front of your camper...it regulates the air pressure to 80 psi, goes thru the ball valve to activate the unit...then outputs 160 psi on the other side.

If you can't find one complete...it's easy to find the parts on eBay to make it.

Tags
tires