Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool Air pressure in tires how much?

How much air goes in the tires when they are warm. And how do you chech the tire pressure on the inside tires on the back?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuddJams
How much air goes in the tires when they are warm. And how do you chech the tire pressure on the inside tires on the back?
How much air depends on you rigs weight, your tire brand recommendation from manufacturer. You check the inside tire of dual wheels with a pressure gauge just like the outside ones. Although is sounds like your rig may not have valve extenders that let you do this from the out side. You may have to crawl under and check them. If that is the case you should have extenders put on so you can check them often and easier.
You may also be interested in a tire pressure monitoring system- many types and brands to choose from. Tire minder, TST 507, and many others. You need to check the date codes on your tires to see how old they are since you down there looking anyway.

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuddJams View Post
How much air goes in the tires when they are warm...
Tire pressures are NEVER checked warm. ALL tire pressure specs are for "cold" that is UNDRIVEN tires that are not heated by the sun either.

How much? Search these forums for something like "tire pressure" and you'll get thousands of threads on this topic.

BTW - Welcome to Irv2!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

These really make the tire pressure checking a snap. I put them on when I bought new tires. There are other less expensive solutions as well.

Always check tires cold to determine if they are the correct pressure, however, I check them warm on occassion just to see if I have any substantial difference one from the other. That difference indicates you are losing air.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You shouldn't need extensions, you do need a dual foot gauge, available at any NAPA or truck stop.
Do not check tires when hot.
To get the correct pressure you need to weigh the rig and go to the pressure/weight charts for your tires. The pressure given is the minimum to support that weight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
On most gas Mh's it is not possible to check the tire pressure with the wheel covers on. Extenders are a good way to make it an easy task. The tire pressure is on a label next to the drivers seat. There is a big misunderstanding about this label. You will note that it has your VIN number on the label. This label is for your MH and only your MH. You will also note that this is a fleetwood label and is the tire pressure is for the MH fully loaded.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #7

Huddjams,welcome to the forum. We need to know what kind of motor home you have. This would help answer your question.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Huddjams,welcome to the forum. We need to know what kind of motor home you have. This would help answer your question.
Per the information entered at registration, it's a 35' Fleetwood Southwind. Of course that info is irrelelvant depending on tire size, mfg. and 4 corner weights
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin
I have a 99' Fleetwood Southwind 35 ft. GVWR 20,500 lbs. and yes I did see the tire pressure cold on the side of the tires said 100 psi. I thought that their would be an warm pressure as well. I did think there should be a second valve for the inside tire. Thank you all for the helpful comment. I'm a new RV owner and I'm sure I will have tons of more questions. 😄
Old 05-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask away.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #11

Get valve extensions put on. I just changed mine with new tires. The woven mesh I had were leaking and tire dealers said they are usually a problem. I had to go to a truck dealer to find the extenders.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuddJams View Post
I have a 99' Fleetwood Southwind 35 ft. GVWR 20,500 lbs. and yes I did see the tire pressure cold on the side of the tires said 100 psi. I thought that their would be an warm pressure as well. I did think there should be a second valve for the inside tire. Thank you all for the helpful comment. I'm a new RV owner and I'm sure I will have tons of more questions. ��
Welcome and I'm sure we'll have tons of answers!
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #13

Do not go by what is on the side of the tire. That is the safe working psi for that tire. Start with what 'your' motor home manafacture recommends and also check your weight when you are loaded for a trip.
As an example the psi on the side of my tires show that 120 psi is the safe working psi when cold. However the data for my motor home shows that my pressure should be 100 for my rear duals and 115psi for my front tires.
Check what 'your' specs should be!!!!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Huddjams, there should be a decal on the wall beside the drives seat or by the main door or on the inside of a closet door that lists the factory recommended COLD pressure for your tires. This is a good safe start pressure until you get the front and rear axles weighed. I bet you that it is going to be around 90 psi in the back tires and 95 psi in the front tires on that MH

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires