Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

Air pressure problem

I have a '98 Country Coach Magna, 40' with a Detroit Diesel 330HP pusher. The problem is when I teach the required air pressure to engage in travel, I push in the parking brake knob and all my air leaks out within a minute or two and the parking brake rengages itself again. I tracked the leak to just inside the left rear wheels at what seems to be a valve of sorts but cannot pinpoint the leak. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160227_131023.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	130418  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Hi Bradley, sounds like the spring brake chamber has a hole in it. It's an easy fix, but unless you are handy a truck service business can handle it. Spring brakes are fairly cheap.

GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Hi Bradley, sounds like the spring brake chamber has a hole in it. It's an easy fix, but unless you are handy a truck service business can handle it. Spring brakes are fairly cheap.
An air diaphragm is cheap at NAPA or a truck repair shop if that's what's bad. But getting to it can be dangerous due to the spring tension involved.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
An air diaphragm is cheap at NAPA or a truck repair shop if that's what's bad. But getting to it can be dangerous due to the spring tension involved.
Is the spring brake chamber the barrels just inside the rear wheels? If so, I've heard about them and the danger in dealing with them just 2 days ago, in fact. I am handy but don't know if I want to take on the tension involved with one of those. That said, I happen to believe the leak is located just to the rear of the drivers side barrel either above or within a "valve" housed in a square box with one fitting for incoming power and approx. 3 or 4 others that seem to be directing air flow. As I felt each hose and fitting, that were easily accessible, I could not differentiate which ones' sound changed from blocking the air to determine where the leak was...does that sentence make sense at all to you guys? Lol, what I'm trying to say is that I know what and where I hear it, I just can't put my finger on it, quite literally.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have a bad air valve. If you are not sure of what you are doing have a mechanic trained in air brakes look at it. If you are under there and take off the wrong line the coach can come down on you.
Also the barrels you refer to are brake chambers. They are not to be messed with by someone who does not know about them. If you take the wrong clamp off the spring can come out of there with deadly force.
I used to repair them and had a close call with one and for the price of a new one I just replace them.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #6

I had a similar problem this spring and it was a bad brake can. Air leaking out of parking brake release chamber. It then back fed into the valve block you are describing.
Replaced brake can and all was good. If you remove the service brake line from the can and air is leaking out then you know that is the problem. Sounded like a pretty common occurrence when I researched I the spring.

Steve
Old 06-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
After thinking about it, It likely is the line from that valve that goes to the parking brake side of the brake chamber. When you release the parking brake the air will rush from that line instead of going to the chamber to release the spring. When your air is depleted the button will pop back out.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

I found that with service brake line removed from can. Then trying to engage parking brake. Air leaked out of service brake side of the can due to a diaphragm that had ruptured between the 2 sides of the brake.
With the line left attached it back fed through the abs valve and leaked out of it.

Steve
Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

Spring brakes (BRAKE CANS) are sealed to prevent the tech from trying to open and replace the diaphragm on the e-brake side.... that spring is close to 4,500 lbs of compression and can if it gets loose do severe damage to you and your coach... the brake chamber of a spring brake has a very weak spring and can be changed by a tech or owner.... but you should never open the e-brake side...

I use a simple spray bottle with soap and water and check the lines and chambers for leaks... Most spring brakes are what are called a 30-30 spring brake... 30 square inches on the brake chamber and 30 square inches on the e-brake chamber... sometimes a smaller single chamber spring brake (6" or 8") will be used on the front wheels.. they do not interface with the e-brake system...

Hope this helps...