Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Air Ride Seat

Has anyone changed out the drivers pedestal for an air ride one?? I have the Villa seats that are firm and pretty comfortable for a long day behind the wheel, but an air ride suspension would be nicer. All of our Peterbilt crane trucks had them and my son's coach has one too. I don't want a seat, just the pedestal.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would love to make mine an air ride. I will be following this.
Is your son the one with the Newell? What kind/brand of air ride seat is in his coach?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I would love to make mine an air ride. I will be following this.
Is your son the one with the Newell? What kind/brand of air ride seat is in his coach?
Yes. He has the Villa furniture, but I don't know what brand the pedestal is.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #4

I just contacted my son. He has Knoedler suspension seat. I have sent them an email with my request. I'll report back their reply.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #5

I'm interested in what they say about purchasing just the pedestal. Their air-ride pedestals, with bellows, are around $570 USD shipped.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #6

air ride seat

you can find an assortment at your local big truck dealership
btchr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Something along this line?
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgJhNfD_BwE
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Something along this line?

jt
That's just a mechanical suspension base. We're talking about an Air suspension base.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #9

In looking at several models, I fear it will be difficult to find one with the usual 4" range that isn't too tall. The pedestal on my coach is rather compact. Not sure if there is enough room for the compressor and bag to fit. I also sent a request into Tiffin to see if they have tried anything.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know how much height is needed, but you won't need a "compressor to fit", you would use the air from your coach's air system.

Whatever base is used we would want it to swivel 180 degrees - and to fit the mounting of the stock seats (so electric connections need to work for seat's tilt, slide, headrest motor, etc.) too.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #11

The electric compressor wouldn't take up any more room than the air bag would need. Tapping into the coaches system would require a regulator, whereas a compressor would be regulated for the task. The wiring could be similar to what's there now Much simpler I think.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have Isringhausen air ride modules on both captain seats. They were what Villa Int'l used at the time and are wonderful to ride on. Villa now uses a different shorter module now, you could call Villa and ask them. The co-pilot seat was replaced with a pilot seat without a power footrest. I would rather have the power footrest, I don't know if it is compatible with the air ride, the jackscrews may interfere.

If you have integrated shoulder harness seats there are no seat manufacturers that will sell you a module with that knowledge as they have not been crash tested with air ride and they don't want the liability. They would rather have you in just a lapbelt and you take a greater risk then have any liability themselves.

Originally when I bought the coach I made a foot pedistal as I could just touch the floor. I eventually shortened the swivel pedistal by about 1.75" and all is well now. I don't need the home made foot pedistal now.

The seats were plumbed with a regulator beside the generator feeding both seats equally. I recently installed a seat valve for the driver so I could regulate the seat height as it was always all the way up. The valve allows me to keep good contact with the floor. Whenever I get out of the seat it dumps the air. I installed a valve on the co-pilot seat but removed it as DW is up & down like a pogo stick and doesn't want the hassle of having to push the valve every time.

Tags
air