Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #15

Scoop it up

Like the idea of a scoop to assist in driving the air through the system and as stated baffles and holes will keep water and debris from going through the grill, though one may have to vacate the scoop from time to time of large or long string type stuff which either gets wedged or hung up in the system.

Frankly some of the DPs cry out for cooling scoops, wonder why there is not one on the roof forcing some cool air over and through the engine. The same will act as a chimney when parked to channel heat out of the engine compartment rather baking the bedroom!

Speaking of efficiency and roofs, there seems to be crazy tradition of putting as many bumps as possible on the roofs of RVs, aerodynamically that has got to be a total disaster.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
My 2001 Diplomat has a air scoop on the roof, cool clean air.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #17

Rexhall Owners Group
I have a diesel pusher with a rear radiator. I have not had any issues with cooling but I do monitor the radiator for dirt. I'm going to try to install a louver/grill assy in the rear side door that opens up to the engine compartment to allow air from the side of the MH to be pulled over the engine rather from the bottom of the unit. The air intake for the induction system is mounted about 1/3 the way up the rear L/H side.

Martin.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
My 2001 Diplomat has a air scoop on the roof, cool clean air.
Hey that is good know Leud. More assemblers should follow that design initiative or use the high sides like the old air cooled VW vans did! When parked those scoops would siphon all the heat out of the engine but when running down the road it would supply the engine with lots of cool air from relatively high up to reduce water and road debris pick up.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #19

if you're still working on your air scoop what you might try to help keep road debry and water (rain) out of the system. on some heavy equipment there was a pre cleaner, a centrifugal unit ( similar to the vacuums) did a great job. you did have to keep an eye on it and empty it.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #20

Sounds like a good idea to me. Just make sure the scoop is not air tight, so that rain water can drain out. I have often though about fabing some air scoops to go under my Cat powered DP. Thought is to supply some fresh air to stop the constant overheating problem. The Cat engines are mounted in a small engine room in back with no access to fresh air. All they get is the hot air pulled up from the pavement by the engine fan.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #21

On a DP what do you think a CAC is for?

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #22

jauguston excuse my ignorance. what is a cac ?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #23

Hey Wonderer1, quit wondering , it is a Charge Air Cooler, its job is to cool down the hot air that is compressed from the turbo. As air is compresed, it heats up, "Santa Ana Winds". So the Charge Air Cooler, CAC cools down the air, sits in front of the engine radiator, so it will hold more fuel and give you a larger Bang when it is compressed by the piston and fuel is injected at near the top of the pistons stroke.
There you go.
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #24

CAC is a Charge Air Cooler also known as a Intercooler. It removes the excess heat created when the air goes through the turbocharger. It looks like a radator and is between the fan and the radiator.

Jim
Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #25

ok an air to air heat exchanger. what he's experimenting with if he can get it to work without causing to much air drag (costing to much hp.) should pickup maniford presure when he's cruising on the highway at or around max. fuel milage where turbobost is low, thus raising boost presure. end result should be increased fuel milage. i just hope he doesn't give up because it should work. it works on drag cars, boats helping feed air to their carb or blower. if it didn't those multi million $ race teams wouldn't use them. i think he's looking at the low rpm side were turbo presure is low, and the fuel milage is.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #26

ardbark for my 2 cents, to see how it's working, i'd install a presure gauge (one that reads vacume and presure) before the turbo to see if you pick up any presure. that will give you an idea what's happening. next will be fuel milage. up- it works down- back to the drawing board. if you have problems you might try picking the air up from under the mh where there's dirty air (already air turbulence) maybe not hurting the air drag of the mh. i've thought about it but to many other projects.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #27

If the intent of the scoop is to get cooler, more dense air, then OK, but a WELL DESIGNED scoop doesn't see any positive pressure until about 50mph, and with a 70mph top end, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze from a "poor mans turbo" standpoint.

They work on racecars, 1/4 mile and otherwise, because the majority of the time is spent well above 50mph, and everything under the engine cover is hot as hell.

Sometime the scoop is just an efficient way to get the air turned 90 degrees into the induction system, and it doesn't provide pressure recovery at all.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #28

If this project is to increase the manifold pressure on a turbocharged diesel engine it is a waste of time. Modern turbocharged diesel engines can create more boost than than they can use already. What do you think the wastegate is for?

Jim