Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Air suspension not inflating

My 06 dutch star is not inflating air suspension but air brakes are fine and Leveling system is in travel mode. Need help can not drive it this way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd start by checking that the dump valve solenoids aren't stuck in the dump mode. If that doesn't do it, I'd next make sure the ride height valves are working properly. Make sure the RV is supported on jack stands or up on blocks to make sure you have room underneath.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #3

Air suspension not inflating

I just had the exact same problem. Stranded me in Scranton, PA for a day. I had a Freightliner tech change the air lines around to bypass the three dump valves so I could get home.

He said that even though the HWH 625 shows "Travel Mode" on the panel, the air system is still getting a "Jacks Down" signal from the HWH system. Since the air suspension still thinks the jacks are down, it won't air up.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Friedest".....Often, it's like a computer and you need to reboot. Dump air, level and then start again. Once you know the tanks are full and it hasn't aired up, momentarily put it in gear and release brake. Sometimes it takes trying different things to get it working or a stuck valve unstuck.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:41 AM   #5

Rich-N-Linda
On mine everything works fine when airing up. the problem I have is when I dump air the front air bags don't deflate. I have a manual front air dump that PO had installed so when he stopped for fuel or quick stop he brought front end down to ease getting out and getting back in. I use this to dump front air bags.
Did you replace the front dump valve ?????
If yes do you have a part number for this and guess it the rectangular valve in center of steering system ????
Thanks
Roger & Lynne
2006 Mandalay 40 F cummins ISL 400
Old 09-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #6

I have tried to raise and lower jacks. Air brake pumping and also moving back and forth. The brakes show full pressure but air ride doesn't come up.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #7

Air leveling?

If so check that system first.

No mention of hearing leaks so assuming none.

If you have air leveling and need to drive try manual mode to raise unit to ride height then pull fuse to insure it does not activate and try to relevel.

If at home then get copy of troubleshooting guide for leveling system and follow it.

Sounds like it is causing issue.

This is why I like jack based system as the factory chassis is left virgin...
Old 09-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Air leveling?

If so check that system first.

No mention of hearing leaks so assuming none.

If you have air leveling and need to drive try manual mode to raise unit to ride height then pull fuse to insure it does not activate and try to relevel.

If at home then get copy of troubleshooting guide for leveling system and follow it.

Sounds like it is causing issue.

This is why I like jack based system as the factory chassis is left virgin...
TQ 60,
No, he does not have "Air leveling". He has the exact same system that we have. It's the HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System. It has two forms of dumping. One is controlled and or used by HWH and, the other, while on the same control panel, is the Freightliner dump system.

The one that HWH incorporates into its automatic system takes effect when the operator pushed on the Power button on the HWH panel, TWICE. It then starts the dumping of both the front and rear bags. It does this for approximately 20-25 seconds, plus or minus. At that time, it begins to lower the appropriate jacks, depending on what YELLOW lights are appearing on the panel, indicating what side and or, end, is low.

Once it's leveled the coach with only three jacks, it will deploy the fourth jack. Once that fourth jack has touched the ground and, raised the coach by approximately 3/4" to 1", the computer is satisfied that all leveling is accurate and shuts down the leveling system. That's the AUTOMATIC MODE.

In the manual mode, just like in the Automatic mode, the key is in the ACC position. The power is turned by pushing the power button ONCE. Then, there is the dump button that controls the Freightliner dump system. You push it one time and, the bags are dumped. Once all the air is depleted from the bags, you can then MANUALLY deploy all the jacks to the needed positions.

Now, when it comes time to get ready to leave, at least in our coach with the same system, all I do is, start the engine, turn on the HWH panel, and, hit the STORE button. At that time, the jacks automatically start to retract and, the bags begin to fill. Now, this has always appeared to be happening at the same time. I have never noticed if, the jacks actually have to be in the fully raised position, satisfying the computer by closing all four of the jack sensors, prior to re-filling the bags. I'll have to check that to make sure.

But, to the OP, that's how my 625 system works. I have a friend who's used the theory of, "start the engine, put it in gear, hold on the foot brake, release the parking brake" and re-apply the parking brake. And, that has worked for him each and every time.

In fact, it even states in the HWH service and troubleshooting manual that premature releasing the parking brake, will trigger the HWH system into refilling the bags and, retracting the jacks but, IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED to do it this way. You see, there is an interlock ground that is applied to the HWH system from the parking brake to allow it to work. Once that interlock is removed, the HWH system reverts back to the STORE system.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
So here it is, 7 days later and he's still not fixed. From what a number of you have said, it sounds like I said in my first post, his dump valves were stuck in the 'open' position. Had it been me, i'd have crawled under and disconnected the dump valves to see if it would allow the air springs to fill.

In a perfect world, those automatic leveling/dumping systems are great, but when one of the many inner-locking systems get out of adjustment or fail, you're stuck. I've never spent more than a minute or so dumping/leveling manually, I see the automatic system just more 'luxury' to fail.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

Mine works exactly as Fire Up describe but the front air bags don't deflate on either auto or manual.
Sometimes when I am ready to leave I put key on ACC and press restore and while jacks retract I do something else like this I don't hear that ear piercing alarm while jacks go up in travel position. Not sure this is good for air bags but it's only a few times I did this.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #11

If you are on Freightliner chassis, call the 800 Freightliner number. I am having intermittent problems with mine and they said if I cannot get the air bags to fill up, there is something you can push to force it to do so. Sorry to be so general, but I do not know the specifics. I would just call Freightliner for the details.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #12

Thumbs up Thanks to All

I appreciate the insight I have gained! Let me start by saying Air Is UP We head for the repair shop (couple things - now adding this to list).

I believe that a combination of answers got it working. Here is what I did yesterday and today, that lead to resolution.

--Raised and lowered jacks Completely (springs needed some help here used a lever setup rocks and 2x4) Jacks went up further than I thought they would.
--While jacks completely up, I rocked the motor-home forward and reverse 2-3 feet.
--Crawled under RV (looking for manual over ride, Fire Up was correct not on this model) clean and check connections.
--Left motor-home in neutral and brought air pressure up by revving the engine. Rocked RV back and forth again after air pressure was up.
--Left RV with Parking brake on and Jacks stored overnight.
--Today started RV with a friend (who has dealt with air ride before) standing out side driver window. Started engine brought pressure up revving engine a little, Friend said he heard air filling. :-0 Sure enough when I shut down and did dump It did come down. After shutting down hydrolic leveling system taking park break off it took a while (5 min feels like forever sometimes) sure enough air ride up!

THANKS AGAIN to all -- I realize this is far cry from the correct procedure and probably have a lot of unnecessary steps but it worked out and I would (and may have to) repeat if necessary

Tags
suspension