Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #1

Question Air system winterizing

Does anyone with a diesel motorhome add anything like an alcohol base winterizing solution for the air brakes, dryer, ect? I was told by a Freighliner service tech it is a good investment. What do you think?
spectrum581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

If you servicing the dryer and pulling the tank drains regularly , I'd consider it unnecessary.

But then I prefer the , fire it up and drive south , winterizing method too.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

skip has some great advice... if you drive by any large haul contractor, they have many units (trailers & tractors) sitting in the snow and in a lot of cases... like a logging truck... are set aside during the winter.. As skip mentioned... keep it clean... keep the tanks drained... service the air drier... I service all my stuff in the fall when I test for anti-freeze....

I personally have taken his advice as well... I'm heading south... will be at my winter home next month... my summer home is closed...
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

jelag ; I'll be through Chewelah , Deer Park and Spokane on Tuesday , If you hear air horns I'll be me saying hello.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #5

No you don't need to add anything for storage or for use in lightly freezing weather. When was the last time you had your air dryer serviced. You'd be surprised how many people with DPs don't even know they have an air dryer.

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I can't imagine putting anything into an air brake system. The idea is to keep everything out except dry air.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #7

There was a time, many years ago, when air dryers weren't installed in air brake systems.

In cold climates there was a alcohol system that would draw alcohol into the tank and lines.

Didn't remove the moisture but kept it from freezing.

Air dryers are a better way to do it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, thats where the wife thinks all that whiskey's been going !
Old 10-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I can't imagine putting anything into an air brake system. The idea is to keep everything out except dry air.
They do inject products into the air system to keep them from freezing. Look up tannersystem.com for injecting Tanner gas into the air system to protect the air brakes down to -72F. The system is used in the northern winter states, Canada and Alaska.

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrig View Post
They do inject products into the air system to keep them from freezing. Look up tannersystem.com for injecting Tanner gas into the air system to protect the air brakes down to -72F. The system is used in the northern winter states, Canada and Alaska.

Bill
In looking at their website, it looks the tanner system is for systems that do not have a air dryer like our coaches have.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The only time you will need to winterize an air system is if you are going to running in severe cold temperatures. I used to run trucks in severe winter conditions and the secret was to drain tanks regularly and make sure your air dryer is serviced and working properly.
Methol Hydrate used to be used to unfreeze components until it was discovered that it caused damage to rubbers in valves etc. Then a new product that came out called saftey brake which was a mixture of Methol Hydrate and brake fluid if used sparingly would keep components from freezing without causing any damage.

For storage there is no need to winterize your air system other than to make sure all moisture is gone. All the systems now equipped with air dryers keep the systems pretty free of moisture.

Tags
winter