Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air tabs

dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi dajudge,
Last month, I was parked next to a couple that had these on their 40 ft coach. The guy claimed better control. He saw no MPG difference. Neither my wife (the real decision maker) or I like the looks of the Air Tabs. I would not put them on my coach.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is an article in the Sept 09 issue of Family Motor Coaching that shows that there is a slight improvement. They must look horrible on the side of a MH.

cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I think they would make a change.good or bad I can't say.As flat as the sides are it would cause a lot of drag.Any thing stuck out would break up the air.To find out what happens you would need a wind tunnel,and I don't think these were tested this way.I would also be concern about what it did to the air flow to the Radator,very much so if center rear.Also as stated they are UGLY.
Warm Fires,Cold Drinks----Bill
HR--Neptune---Chev Tracker--Toad
Freebird23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
For any noticeable improvement in mileage usually requires quite a few other "air cleaners" as well , I doubt one by itself would make any difference ..
We have tried quite a few things in the trucking industry along those lines and if you do get a return on the investment , its in tenths ( not many either ) of mpg .. Driving the miles we do , it still takes a while to get your money back , if you do at all ..

A motorhome , with the exception of the underside , is already pretty clean in the air ..

But we're pushing three sheets of plywood into the wind with the front of the coach ..
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
This type of device, Vortex Generator, has been used in the aviation industry for years with excellent results. Sometimes what appears to be a Drag Inducer provides positive results, at least in aviation. When I read the information at their web site I came away with the understanding that it was tested in a wind tunnel. All they showed was a pretty picture, no facts that I recall. The price seemed too steep for me considering the relatively low mileage I put on and the low return on investment. The passing vehicles do not make much impact on my rig. I did find one part interesting in their text explaining how passing traffic interferes with handling. They say the Tabs eliminate the number of pulses, down to just one, but not all pulses. I think the airflow through an aft mounted radiator would be improved according to their description. Sure would like to hear from someone that has used them!
2005 Monaco Knight, 3 Slide, 38' PST, Cummins 330 ISC, 34,000 miles on this one!
VMSpc, PressurePro, BrakeSwitch, DeLorme SA2010

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A device like this might help a bit on one coach and not at all on another - depends on the air flow characteristics of the particular coach. My American Tradition already has an air dam on the roof which diverts air down over the rear cap, to break up the vacuum that sucks dirt in behind the rig and creates extra drag. Don't know if it helps fuel any, but if definitely keeps the rear cap cleaner than the previous rig.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Nobody on the thread so far has tried Air Tabs, but I have them on my MH. I think they look ok or even good. I noticed some handling improvement and I have not tried to determine what MPG there might be. MPG is affected by too many things for a small improvement to be isolated and measured easily. FMCA magazine had an article that stated a 0.5 MPG improvement with Air Tabs. On RV.net some have seen similar improvements. It is too bad that more measurement have not been made, but even those results would vary from Air Tabs on another rig. My handling improvement shows that something is going on with my Air Tabs, so MPG effect might be there too. When fuel becomes more expensive the discussion of Air Tabs will heat up. BTW it is really the design of our rigs that cause the drag. Virtually every design feature of my coach is for the benefit of making it more functional or just reducing its cost. Aerodynamic is an oxymoron for my MH!
Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you need them to get better control of your MH when an 18 wheeler is passing You.
Then you have more problems to take care of then installing tabs.

The way they are making 18 wheeler tractors today. It is hard to feel anything when they pass. And driving my MH at 55-58 MPH they are a lot of them that pass me.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs down

Air Tabs for an RV can cost $200+- for a possible 4% mpg increase. The computer animated VIDEO mentioned wind tunnel tests were done. Before I open my wallet for Air Tabs, I want to see some videos of wind tunnel tests of RVs with A/C, sat and other roof obstructions with colored smoke. There is no mention of air passing under the trailer or objects on top like A/Cs, sat's, antennas, etc. In regards to handling, I would want to test drive two identical RVs - one with air tabs and one without air tabs. Maybe I am old fashion, but I don't trust computer animation alone.
The air tabs may help keep the back of a rig cleaner but they won't keep the roof or sides cleaner. Think of the fun you would have washing strips of those ugly tabs.
I did not notice, are the white tabs guaranteed not to yellow or would on have to paint them with Krylon FusionŽ?
For their price and cost return, if I put the miles on continually driving cross country as an independent trucker, then may-be I would seriously consider these.
This would be a good product for "Consumers Reports" to test.
Did anyone notice if these were endorsed by Al Gore and the green party
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
I had camping world install on the front axel-- steer safe and I like them
My wife would not drive the interstate befor because of the trucks but now she will. the air tabs you see and this steer safe you do not.
do not count the days make the days count
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
I had an Alfa which is white, and the result of the new air tabs was very good. The coach had a problem with passing semi's that was totally deminished with the air tabs. Being white, the were hardly visible. They did not yellow, or attract dirt. The back of the coach remained much cleaner in the rain etc. I did not see any increase in fuel mileage. My current coach does not have a problem with passing semi's. So obviously, it depends on the coach configuration. If you have a problem, they are great, if there is no problem then they are a waste of money IMHO.
ABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also don't like the look of them, but did talk to 2 couples this summer with them on 5er's. They told me that they felt the biggest improvement was that rear of the unit was cleaner. As for handling and mpg, no change that could be confirmed. Seems like a lot of money to keep the dirt of the back of your rig.
01 Winnebago Brave SE 31' P32 Workhorse w/ 7.4l
99 Jeep TJ
Me, DW-Donna, DK's- Julia & Anna
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dirt on the back of the RV is a sure sign that there is a noticeable low pressure area behind the rig. That means there is drag (actually suction) that you have to overcome and that means more fuel. But how much more? Probably a few tenths of mpg or maybe as much as 0.5. Worth it? You decide.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote