Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 AM   #15

I have a full set on my MH for 3 years. They do work. But I have not seen any MPG increase. Big difference in side wind handling. Motorhome always handled good.
Where I seen a big difference was installing them across bottom side of cab overhang. Keeps bugs off windshield and stops wind noise on side window. Got the idea from truck camper owners that installed them on their cab over extensions.
They are expensive for what you get. I found a super deal on EBAY for 110 of them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
So by that, you mean the air tabs did nothing for your friend. Then why did he get it for both the rv and trailer?
Nothing. Bought at same time

Old 07-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Love that beer cooler on the lift. Par-tee
Old 07-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #18
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect if these worked, you would see them on every Grayhound and Mega bus.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #19

Quote:
If all it does is #3, I would buy them. Smitty77, was this a notable difference? or was it like I think it help? Anything that would help my 96 beast track better is worth a try. Thx

Sorry for the delayed response, and I'll send you a PM to be sure you see my response.

Yes to #3, it really did make a dramatic difference. With trucks passing, much more relaxed 'push' from the truckers bow wave, and same on the 'suck/pull' back towards the left when they finish passing. No longer a white knuckle experience. But it was the variable shifting winds, where it really helped. Don't get me wrong, one of the reasons we're now in a 40' with tag DP - is we wanted as stable a ride as possible, in as many conditions as possible. A smaller lighter RV, with a long tail hang over behind the drive wheels - will still always be less comfortable to drive then a bigger heavier tag DP. It's just the way it is. Airtabs do help, and do provide a more comfortable ride.

We're planning some paint mod's on our coach, to remove the dark maroon paint scheme in some areas, and go to a lighter color paint. When we do this, I'll have Airtabs added to our coach, and have them painted to match. (I'll first paint the coach part first. But then have also have the Airtabs painted with the same paint and gelcoat, before installing.)

Best,
Smitty
Old 08-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #20

Thumbs up UPDATE

Good morning everyone,

I just want to update you on my quest to find out if Air Tabs are worth it:

We purchased 100 Air Tabs and installed them on our 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. The results were FANTASTIC! I drove from Deltona, Florida to Rutherfordton, NC. I was passed by many trucks (on the I-95 & the I-26) and I am happy to say that they work as well as they are advertised to work. All the pushing off the road that I previously experienced was gone. If I hadn't actually seen the trucks come by, I would never have known they were there. So I am definately recommending them to anyone that is experiencing a rough ride due to passing trucks!. I am not the type of person that writes positive things about products that do not work. If I purchase something and it is not effective, I will write a review that reflects that fact and then will proceed to request a return authorization and a refund from the company I purchased them from. I do not like to be ripped off. On another note: I had NO increase in Gas Mileage. But that was not the primary reason I purchased them. I hope this helps at least one person to make the decision to try these out. Have a great day!

Ed & Robin
Old 08-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor tools View Post
Good morning everyone,

I just want to update you on my quest to find out if Air Tabs are worth it:

We purchased 100 Air Tabs and installed them on our 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. The results were FANTASTIC! I drove from Deltona, Florida to Rutherfordton, NC. I was passed by many trucks (on the I-95 & the I-26) and I am happy to say that they work as well as they are advertised to work. All the pushing off the road that I previously experienced was gone. If I hadn't actually seen the trucks come by, I would never have known they were there. So I am definately recommending them to anyone that is experiencing a rough ride due to passing trucks!. I am not the type of person that writes positive things about products that do not work. If I purchase something and it is not effective, I will write a review that reflects that fact and then will proceed to request a return authorization and a refund from the company I purchased them from. I do not like to be ripped off. On another note: I had NO increase in Gas Mileage. But that was not the primary reason I purchased them. I hope this helps at least one person to make the decision to try these out. Have a great day!

Ed & Robin
Did you installed the airtabs on a class A RV? and only on the rear?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Did you installed the airtabs on a class A RV? and only on the rear?
Yes, it is a Class A and they are installed on the sides and roof at the very back of the RV.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor tools View Post
Yes, it is a Class A and they are installed on the sides and roof at the very back of the RV.
Ed/Robin: Is your RV roof EPDM? Just wondering if the acrylic based adhesive used on airtabs is safe for EPDM roofs?
Old 08-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Air tabs - worth it or not?

not.

As an aerospace engineer, I have contributed to the design of vague, unknown, backwater, experimental aircraft, (A380, 737-800, C130, F35).

In my humble, (and utterly-worthless/free/unpaid interwebs-RV-message board), opinion, the minimal air turbulence benefit, (that only actually has any benefit if you are permanently towing a trailer with a similar size and shape as the coach with the trailer's leading wall less than 20" from the rear of the coach), is completely offset by the unsightly appearance, cost, and effort involved in acquiring and mounting them.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #25

Dude: I'm afraid that your education and professional experience will be no match for someone's mind that wants to be convinced that the time and money he spent is not wasted and furthermore that he isn't a sucker for buying an expensive gadget that cost pennies to manufacture.
The only person I know who used them said that there was absolutely no difference. And I can believe that. When we think practically about this, how much force to you think you would have to apply to the side of a coach in order to unsettle it? To make it shift going down the road? Standing at the rear side, I bet I could push about all I had and not make a noticeable difference. So what is that? A couple hundred probably in my case. Plus or minus a biscuit depending on the day! Now lets assume that we can evenly divide that among the tabs on that side. Are we saying that these tabs can survive miles and miles and years and years of what.....20 lbs pushing or pulling? You would think some would come off now and then with that kind of abuse......yet they don't. They ride along as always, doing little.

The claim that they could affect mileage could be plausible. Although the amount of improvement would likely be small enough it couldn't be measured. I would be more inclined to believe that one though. But that is something we can actually measure results by data. So it is hard to prove any improvement there. But RV'ers WANT to believe that they can improve the handling of their rigs with a sticky on the side of it. When someone WANTS to believe......it's easy to be convinced.
As far as Dude above being constructive or positive: Are you saying we have to say positive things about every product or idea that comes along regardless of what it costs those hapless buyers that fall prey to them? Dude has education and experience with airflow characteristics. I think that qualifies him! I took one class regarding airflow getting my Engineering degree. I'm not sure I have expert status, but some level of knowledge.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #26

Your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Dude: I'm afraid that your education and professional experience will be no match for someone's mind that wants to be convinced that the time and money he spent is not wasted and furthermore that he isn't a sucker for buying an expensive gadget that cost pennies to manufacture.
The only person I know who used them said that there was absolutely no difference. And I can believe that. When we think practically about this, how much force to you think you would have to apply to the side of a coach in order to unsettle it? To make it shift going down the road? Standing at the rear side, I bet I could push about all I had and not make a noticeable difference. So what is that? A couple hundred probably in my case. Plus or minus a biscuit depending on the day! Now lets assume that we can evenly divide that among the tabs on that side. Are we saying that these tabs can survive miles and miles and years and years of what.....20 lbs pushing or pulling? You would think some would come off now and then with that kind of abuse......yet they don't. They ride along as always, doing little.

The claim that they could affect mileage could be plausible. Although the amount of improvement would likely be small enough it couldn't be measured. I would be more inclined to believe that one though. But that is something we can actually measure results by data. So it is hard to prove any improvement there. But RV'ers WANT to believe that they can improve the handling of their rigs with a sticky on the side of it. When someone WANTS to believe......it's easy to be convinced.
As far as Dude above being constructive or positive: Are you saying we have to say positive things about every product or idea that comes along regardless of what it costs those hapless buyers that fall prey to them? Dude has education and experience with airflow characteristics. I think that qualifies him! I took one class regarding airflow getting my Engineering degree. I'm not sure I have expert status, but some level of knowledge.
Your opinion is noted and respected. But that is just an opinion. I know what I know. I will not be dragged into a debate with people who have not actually had the experience. But I will however respect your right to your opinion. Which is more than you gave me.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #27

umm... who get's "passed" by truckers? I think you need to pick up your speed a little.. hahahaha.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Enough. Time to move on since too many are taking pot shots at one another.

Closed Thread

Tags
abs

« AGS | TV mounts... »