Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club

Hey, was reading in the new motor home magazine about Airtabs . Wondering if anyone has tried them . So simple and easy to install.

WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Quite a few threads on this topic over the years.

Question is if they are so good, why haven't the big logistics companies installed them on their thousands of trucks and trailers.

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Maybe the big logistics companies don't install them on their trucks because there is a huge difference between driving a semi that weighs 80,000 lbs. loaded, and a class A RV that weighs around 49,000 lbs. (40')? Maybe it's because a trailer reacts differently to a passing semi-truck than a monolithic slab of motor coach? Maybe it's because there are far more trailers than semi tractors, making installation on those trailers a completely different undertaking, and magnitudes more difficult logistically (the trailer has to sit still for a day, in the location where the tabs are to be installed, with zero income)? Maybe it's a question of nobody having thought about marketing them to the trucking industry?
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Just looked online; they are marketed to the trucking industry. Here's some interesting links:

Airtab Kits | Airtab

Airtab: Aerodynamic fuel savers for truck, tractor, trailer, bus, RV

Note that some companies have equipped with them, and like the results. Of course, this is the company's page, so "bad news" is absent.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Met someone at CG with them and they really liked them. Didn't look bad on a white background. . They said they got 1 extra mile and didn't feel the semis passing
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
For $220, I think they're worth trying. Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass, Oregon sells them. They've never lead me astray before, so I'm going to trust them on their recommendation. When I first bought my Fleetwood Discovery in 2002, the front end would wander and drift like crazy. I had them install a SuperSteer Bell Crank, and it took care of the problem. I can easily install them myself, and if it helps my wife feel safer when we are passing or being passed, then I consider it money well spent. Higher MPG would just be icing on the cake.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
We made the normal several thousand dollars of upgrades to our small T28 Bounder on the F53 chassis of 1999. Shocks, urethane bushings, larger rear sway bar, rear and front cross members mods, Safety-T-Plus, toe in set in a tad. We still got pushed around by the trucks, and had some scary lane changes as rapidly shifting strong cross winds would shove us around.

I added the Air Tabs, the least expensive mod I made (except for four corner weight and PSI set to Tire Manufacturers recommended settings) to help handling.

The Air Tabs really helped as the trucks went blowing by. Still felt the bow wave push, and the as they got by suck in towards them, but dramatically reduced. Cross winds were also more manageable. Being so light at 18K, the wind still would let me know when it was strong and changing directions, but much less severe of an impact with the Air Tabs.

A bonus was the rear end and toad were cleaner, and in rain, the rear camera would not get quite as covered with drops distorting the view.

Our MPG did go up a bit, but was not the reason I added the Air Tabs.

We now have a 40' with Tag, and weight in at about 36-37K Lbs. I feel pretty secure in most conditions. However, when we get our coach painted in the future, I'm pretty sure I'll add Air Tabs so they get painted to match the coach at that time. Won't hurt the handling in winds at all, could help it some too. But just keeping the rear end and toad a bit cleaner, is the main reason I'll probably do this.

I see no downside to this inexpensive mod. On our Bounder, I was able to match the two colors with a Kryon spray paint from Home Depot. This helped blend them into the coach. The paint on the Air Tabs was still looking good after three years.

Best to all, have fun, be safe,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote