Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Unhappy Alarm going off using inverter

I have a 2001 navigator and have a xantrex 3000. I find the alarm always going off in the early hours of the morning. All that is run is my Cpap which uses very little electricity and a little tv before bed. I thought that it was the batteries so I put in two new deep cycle marines batteries. Same thing! Is it just the alarm set point? I still have power and the display shows 11.4 v.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Well 11.4 is your problem.

Probably a weak battery or dead cell somewhere

IAN

Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #3

Check you documentation for when the low voltage alarm is triggered. You would be better off with two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for your 12 volts. They will last longer before needing a recharge. And besides that, displays are not known for their accuracy. Kinda like your holing tank level display. Running batteries below 50% takes life out of them. They will last longer if you try not to go below 50%. I have this same chart taped below my display panel.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Check you documentation for when the low voltage alarm is triggered. You would be better off with two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for your 12 volts. They will last longer before needing a recharge. And besides that, displays are not known for their accuracy. Kinda like your holing tank level display. Running batteries below 50% takes life out of them. They will last longer if you try not to go below 50%. I have this same chart taped below my display panel.

Thanks for the chart! I will print and tape next to my display as well
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #5

If I could only remember that 12 volts is 50%, I wouldn't need the chart. Duh, CRS.

http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2...-battery-care/
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
It is Amp Hours not 12V vs. 6V. Our trailer has modest 12V needs and one 150 AH Lifeline AGM more than fills our needs. Monitoring depth of discharge is vital to the life of what ever battery system you use and the ideal is not to fall below 50% DOD. Monitoring voltage is better than nothing but it is only after sitting with no load or input for some time (which means my memory falters)that you have accuracy. It is only by monitoring the actual input and output through a shunt that accuracy under load is assured.
I went with a Victron 1 - Victron Energy and bmv-602s but many like the TriMetric TriMetric Battery System | Bogart Engineering
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #7

"It is Amp Hours not 12V vs. 6V."

Is that a statement or an argument, cause nobody mentioned using 6 volts.

I had a TriMetric in my 5er and found it to be more complicated that what it was worth. More like a wealth of worthless knowledge for the average RV'r. Great if you are on solar, but for boondocking, all you really need to know is your voltage and load. Lighten the load and the batteries last longer.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, Dunner, you did say
Quote:
You would be better off with two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series for your 12 volts.

Fades says he put in two new deep cycles, so I think the issue is that he is using much more power than he realizes. Most people don't realize that the inverter sucks a lot of battery power to do its job, and "a little tv", Cpap machine, and the bunch of small background loads we seldom think about totals up to a lot of battery amp-hours. He didn't mention the battery size and did say "marine", so they may well be a couple group 24's, which do not provide a whole lot of amp-hours before the voltage dives. Larger 12v bats would help get through the night; so would conversion to 6v golf carts batteries, which have about 35% more capacity than to group 24 marine-type batteries.

Last and easiest, he can run the generator for 30-40 minutes before going to bed. That should bring the charge up enough to last til morning. Then run it again in the a.m.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #9

"Actually", Dunner doesn't consider two 6 volt batteries in series as 6 volts.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

this is a really good inverter but it dos not like the cold after months in the cold the temp censer starts reading off so if you have lived up sate some where the in side and out side temp censers could be bad may want to look in to that if you keep finding its not a low volt thing
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #11

Factory wiring or did you install the Inverter? If you installed the inverter what size wires and how far away from batteries is the inverter? Have you ever run an amperage draw check running the cpap and background draws together and a 3000 watt inverter uses a lot of current to just sit there. If it's on, it probably draws 2 amps by itself. Finally, do you really know the state of charge on the batteries before bedding down for the night? 11.4 volts is essentially a dead battery. My Zantrex 3000 goes off at 12.0 volts. Remember that 2 amps at 120AC volts is = to about 20 amps +, and 4 amps at 120 volts AC = 40+ amps at 12 volts DC at the batteries. Two batteries wont last long at 4 amps 120 volts which is really 40+ amps continuous for 7+ hours at the battery string.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Dunner One of the reasons I went with a Vectron is that it can be set in a simple read out of DOD, and yes I understand it is 12 V i.e. two 6V in series. I went with the Lifeline battery because of its quality and I prefer to not have to worry about self discharge and watering.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #13

Wink The Cpap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fades View Post
I have a 2001 navigator and have a xantrex 3000. I find the alarm always going off in the early hours of the morning. All that is run is my Cpap which uses very little electricity and a little tv before bed. I thought that it was the batteries so I put in two new deep cycle marines batteries. Same thing! Is it just the alarm set point? I still have power and the display shows 11.4 v.
My wife has a Cpap too. Here is what I find.

I was running four 12volt deep discharge batteries in parallel at first, but soon after starting to use the Cpap noted that the batteries just didn't cut the mustard. The alarm on the inverter coould be from low input voltage or to much output draw to run your cpap. I would say likely low input voltage from what has been said.
I installed two oversized 6volt batteries. They are 2 1/2 times taller but the same length and width as large 12 volt batteries. By using this type of batterie the larger cells last much longer than the shorter 6v or a bank of multiple 12v batteries.

If your cpap heats the water to create humidity when you sleep it will draw extra current. If you can do without the heater on the cpap the batteries will last longer.

My wife uses the heater all the time and as with the new bateries and as long as I have fully charged the batteries prior to leaving on a trip they stand up really well.

I normally charge them for 2 to 3 days with the charger set to 2 amps.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The problem I had with my CPAP on my current coach was that the inverter was drawing as much as the CPAP. I do not use the humidifier with heater. I installed a 12v source next to the bed. My CPAP has a 12V input. Rather than pay $$$ for the mfg cord I went to RadioShack and bought a 12V cord with standard power point on one end and a power tip that matches my CPAP on the other. I can turn off the inverter overnight and the CPAP and other modest 12V draws are no issue. did this on the prior coach which only had 2 6V Trojans and never had a problem there, current coach has 4 6V Interstates.

Tags
inverter