Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
National RV Owners Club

We are thinking about the need for a alarm system in our class a motorhome. I realize the only real time its needed is if we are not in a rv park, but wondering if others have installed alarms and if so what kind. I know someone is going to say big dog, but can't have one.

pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You can go with a wireless system that will protect your RV and dial out on a cellular device. Check the products at ADT.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Nor'easters Club
I too needed an alarm...found and ordered this rv alarm http://www.americanbulldogsecurity.com is home for AAS Alarm Systems . You obtain a sim card from your cell company $10.00 a month ATT ...all wireless, 6 door/basement magnetic switches and 1 motion detector.2 key chain clickers...calls 6 phone numbers you can program if it is triggered.

Componets a little cheap... But I have had it since nov...works great...cust service 5 star... Needs 110 so I added a small inverter hardwired to battery with a fuse..Has a back up battery too.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It is said that 90% of the bad guys will go "nextdoor" if they think you are guarded by a system.... We have "Guarded by a Radio Shack System" stickers in most windows of the stick house & RV.
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
also checking into installing an alarm system and realized that you might get a small break on the cost of insurance with and alarm system.... just something to check into if already going to install!!
dtlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
I was surprised that a $200K+ MH didn't come with any kind of alarm system or "transponder" ignition key. Here are a few of the options that I considered. Starting at the least expensive, there are simple units like the Bulldog that attach with only 2 wires to the battery. Because it's designed to sense the voltage drop created by the domelight coming on when a door is opened in a car, it probablly wouldn't be a good fit for a MH that has a complex elecrrical system. It also has a motion sensor, and that might be too sensitive in strong winds. It is cheap, and being very easy to install might be worth a try. The next step up are the various good quality auto alarms - Python. Viper, Clifford, etc. These have many features and can be fairly complex to set up. Some internet research (I like Amazon.com) will give you a good idea of what's available and how they are rated by users. The final step would be to use a professional "Home" alarm panel like Ademco. You would have to be comfortable with learning about the various options that are available in order to design a system that will give you what you want, but it allows the ultimate level of customization. I am using one of these because it has the provision for a smoke/fire detector. Since we have a pet dog and a Norcold refer, it is an important consideration for us. The actual installation is not that complex if you are a DIY kind of person, or a good alarm installer can do it if you don't want to yourself. It would pay to speak to a few alarm installers/locksmiths if you are considering anything beyond the most basic intrusion alarms.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
My essex keypad flashes when locked, though no alarm is hooked up. The visual deterrent of a blue flashing keypad every minute will make them pause and perhaps move on. If I'm "home" and someone attempts to enter then that is what my shotgun is for. If I'm away, then that is what insurance is for.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Country Coach Owners Club
Ever been in a parking lot with some car alarm wailing? What did people do? Nothing

Same thing with a coach alarm
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Ever been in a parking lot with some car alarm wailing? What did people do? Nothing
A cellular solution will call you on your cell phone, the monitoring company and the Police. Alarm is secondary and might dissuade a thief if the alarm goes off.

In my state if you have a series of false alarms you might be charged after multiple calls but on a high value motorhome I would consider it if security is a major concern.

At home I can integrate a wireless motion detector in the RV and it will trip my house alarm. That will launch a number of assets to investigate the alarm condition.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Creative things...

A lot of things can be done, I built a tranmitter from Moto HT200 and PBII pager that had a mile to 2 range, worked well but when the fries were done at the fast food place made same noise...that was funny now...

Simple motion detector lights can be used, or the sensors from them to make lights or horns activate.

Self contained lowd siren horns for less than $20.00 will make enough noise to wake the dead.

It is a matter of what you expect the system to do, how you want to operate it and what do you want to spend.

Switches on all the doors, sensors or just stickers.

Walk around a dealer lot and see what is in use.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Has anyone tried a compustar system? You can get remote start, alarm or both in one or 2 was. Up to a mile range or if you add the drone you will have unlimited range as long as you have cell signal.

OddOne is offline   Reply With Quote