Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #15

OK. OK. I'm convinced to replace the tires. I really am thankful for the various brand recommendations. My dream is to drive to Alaska sometime the next couple of years. Those of you who made the cheaper brand recommendations, would you still do so for that trip?

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
OK. OK. I'm convinced to replace the tires. I really am thankful for the various brand recommendations. My dream is to drive to Alaska sometime the next couple of years. Those of you who made the cheaper brand recommendations, would you still do so for that trip?

Dave
Dave,
More expensive does not equate to a better tire. I would not hesitate to go from Colorado to Alaska or anywhere on my Toyos.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #17

OK. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Dave,
More expensive does not equate to a better tire. I would not hesitate to go from Colorado to Alaska or anywhere on my Toyos.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
That is interesting. I bought the two new continentals in Aug 2012 If I recall correctly and I am not sure my memory is that good. But they quoted the Michelins at somewhere around 950 each plus mounting.
Goodyear at 850.00 each plus mounting.
Continental 550.00 each plus mounting. I am pretty sure of the continental price because I bought those but that is what I think I was quoted for the good year and the Michelins.
my XZE michelins were $390 each out the door(FMCA).( four month old date codes) i don't remember the continental price now, but i think it was a couple hundred less for six tires. there were three different cont tires.
one traction and two steer tites. i think i priced the HSR2?
225 70R19.5
the FMCA price makes a big difference.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycon9 View Post
my XZE michelins were $390 each out the door(FMCA).( four month old date codes) i don't remember the continental price now, but i think it was a couple hundred less for six tires. there were three different cont tires.
one traction and two steer tites. i think i priced the HSR2?
225 70R19.5
the FMCA price makes a big difference.
I am not a member of FMCA I was just quoting the price as I remember it for the local tire shop. The goodyears were from my tire shop and a good year truck tire shop locally. You are correct there are three different continental tires. I have the HSR2 tires. I do not believe the HSL1 tires were available when I bought mine or I did not pay attention to them because they were a bit larger.

OK you made me curious I looked at FMCA and the tire prices are very good. I like my continental tires but if you want to spend the money to join FMCA and it is really not that much to join the prices are comparative. The only issue might be whether or not there is a dealer that will support FMCA pricing in your area.
Truck Tires, Bus & Coach Tires and Construction Site Tires from Continental*-**RV Tires People - Long Haul Highway Steer
Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Dave
Cheaper gives a bad impression. Less expensive maybe. One of the reasons I went with continental is their history. I do not know about 2014 cars but in the past. BMW cars, BMW motorcycle, Mercedes all came stock with Continental tires. None of those brands are cheaper cars. or less expensive actually.

One of the reasons I tried continental tires on the RV is because I use them on my motorcycle. Of all the vehicles I own my life rides on my tires more on the motorcycle than anything. I don't use anything cheap on my motorcycle.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #22
Tov

Have a good hard look at Toyos...I used them on my 18 wheelers and now on my motorhome. Very good tires and a decent price.
Tov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
we inherited my father in law's 1998 Bounder. It only has 20,000 miles on it, thus I suspect the great looking Michelins are way past the manufacturer expiration date. I have a couple of questions.

For the rear dually's, could I get by replacing the outer tires now and wait a year to replace the inners? I'm buying a TPMS system and thinking that I'll get a warning before the inners might blow out because they are sharing the load. What do you think?

Are Michelins the gold standard for best tire value? What other MH brands have made you folks happy?

If I post my used tires on Craigslist and specify the manufacture date, is there someone out there that might find a purpose for them?

Finally, are there any Colorado Springs members that have a special recommendation for honest tire dealers that know what's needed for motor homes?

Thanks a bunch.

Dave.
What are the last 4 digits of the DOT number, firstly? As for brand name tires, I've quit paying for a name and tires like Hercules, works for me.... Hercules H-902 225/70R19.5 128L (59217) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Yep, genuine Chinese and what they all will be, before too long. Still, as always, there will be those that will continue with the big names, no matter.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave, What size tires do you have?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #25

Quote:

Dave
I'd go with any brand for any trip and IMO, tires are pretty much made the same for meeting DOT requirements and the reason for the registration number on the tire. As for the cost, that's another story and some expect another 100% over the cost of the tire, just to have their name.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #26

1) Michelins were almost certainly NOT the oem tires, so check the date "brand" on the tires, they usually have 4 digits- 1st two are the week of the year, 2nd two are the year
2) I had a blow out on inner dual on way back from Quartzsite few weeks ago. 3 minutes later the TPMS started alarming. You can rely on TPMS for slow leak detection but will get no warning for a blowout. After the big BAM, I cycled around to all 6 tires for pressure & temp & all showed good. Pulled off at next ramp & that's when the alarm started.
3) you should have (IMHO) no less than 5 year old tires on the fronts; you never want to risk a blow out there. On the rears you should have tires you can afford. You will find that affordability of tires when you have a blowout is (understandably) less than if you shop & replace at your leisure
4) piece of mind- priceless.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
1) Michelins were almost certainly NOT the oem tires, so check the date "brand" on the tires, they usually have 4 digits- 1st two are the week of the year, 2nd two are the year
2) I had a blow out on inner dual on way back from Quartzsite few weeks ago. 3 minutes later the TPMS started alarming. You can rely on TPMS for slow leak detection but will get no warning for a blowout. After the big BAM, I cycled around to all 6 tires for pressure & temp & all showed good. Pulled off at next ramp & that's when the alarm started.
3) you should have (IMHO) no less than 5 year old tires on the fronts; you never want to risk a blow out there. On the rears you should have tires you can afford. You will find that affordability of tires when you have a blowout is (understandably) less than if you shop & replace at your leisure
4) piece of mind- priceless.
Many OEM's are Michelin, if not the majority and they obviously come with a good deal, not much profit and written off as an advertising expense. They for one, also claim a 10 yr life with a periodic professional inspection.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Goodyear also makes a good tire. I would be uncomfortable selling my old tires to the general public for highway use.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote