Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #1

Alas, it is past time for me to replace the tires

we inherited my father in law's 1998 Bounder. It only has 20,000 miles on it, thus I suspect the great looking Michelins are way past the manufacturer expiration date. I have a couple of questions.

For the rear dually's, could I get by replacing the outer tires now and wait a year to replace the inners? I'm buying a TPMS system and thinking that I'll get a warning before the inners might blow out because they are sharing the load. What do you think?

Are Michelins the gold standard for best tire value? What other MH brands have made you folks happy?

If I post my used tires on Craigslist and specify the manufacture date, is there someone out there that might find a purpose for them?

Finally, are there any Colorado Springs members that have a special recommendation for honest tire dealers that know what's needed for motor homes?

Thanks a bunch.

Dave.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If they are OEM 16 years old. Replace them all now.
Or check the DOT dates on them if they have been replaced since new.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
we inherited my father in law's 1998 Bounder. It only has 20,000 miles on it, thus I suspect the great looking Michelins are way past the manufacturer expiration date. I have a couple of questions.

For the rear dually's, could I get by replacing the outer tires now and wait a year to replace the inners? I'm buying a TPMS system and thinking that I'll get a warning before the inners might blow out because they are sharing the load. What do you think?

Are Michelins the gold standard for best tire value? What other MH brands have made you folks happy?

If I post my used tires on Craigslist and specify the manufacture date, is there someone out there that might find a purpose for them?

Finally, are there any Colorado Springs members that have a special recommendation for honest tire dealers that know what's needed for motor homes?

Thanks a bunch.

Dave.
You will get many opinions here so I'll start them off. The first thing to do is look for the date code on the tires. If they are older then 5-7 years old then you should replace all of them. Even if they do not show any signs of cracks or wear. Some may differ but it's what I concluded after much research. I would do all at once if budget allows. The tire monitor system is a good idea going forward.

Tires on CL?? Worth a shot and it's free to try.

Michelin tires are widely used and are good. I went with Toyo's. These are the best selling tires for trucks in Japan and are popular for 18 wheelers in the USA as well. The price quoted to me for the Toyos (22.5) was $1,000 less then the Michelins. I was living in Denver when I got mine and went to Les Schwab out on Tower Rd. (by the airport).

Good luck!!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Two things... You need to check the DOT age date on the tires! If you are running the original tires, they would more than likely be 1997 DOT date, you're driving on a ticking time bomb!! The TPMS system will more than likely indicate you have a flat about the same time you hear the tire explode!! The idea of leaving the inner tires on the vehicle is a BAD idea and what ever brand of tire you purchase you might want to look at FMCAs tire program. Good luck!!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had 8 year old tires on my MH when I bought it. I read all of the literature and I believe all of the literature other than personal opinion I read was put out by tire manufacturers. Personal opinions are just that opinions. I also had tires with a lot of tread and no cracks of any kind. I also did what you are talking about I bought a TPMS. You cannot tell if there are any internal cracks without dismounting the tire. If you have a blowout on the front end of your motor home you are probably going to have a wreck from that. I compromised. I bought two new Continental Tires. I have used them on motorcycles, cars, trucks and now my motor home. They are the OEM tires on several high end german cars and motorcycles. They are also about half the price of Michelins. I put the two new tires on the front of the MH. I had the tire shop inspect the tires I took off and they looked fine. MY reasoning is the odds of both tires on the rear of the motor home having a blow out at the same time are pretty low. If I have a blow out on the rear I might have some damage to the motor home but probably wont go into a ditch or the other lane of traffic. I believe if one of the rear tires develop an internal crack I will see a significant rise in the tire temp from the flexing. I have put 10,000 miles on the rear tires with no problems. I will probably replace them next year. Remember I said at the beginning of this post that opinions are just that and this is only my opinion.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

Dave,

Man, if they are original, get them replaced ASAP, and drive slow to the tire center.

I am in the springs and just used the FMCA program to get new Michelins. I used TCI tire on Astrozon. They seemed to really know what they are doing.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave1194,
For the rear dually's, could I get by replacing the outer tires now and wait a year to replace the inners? No

I'm buying a TPMS system and thinking that I'll get a warning before the inners might blow out because they are sharing the load. What do you think? The warning you'll get will be about the same time the tire explodes. TPMS is good for slow leaks and first thing in the day to check tire PSI.

Are Michelins the gold standard for best tire value? What other MH brands have made you folks happy? It all depends. How many miles a year are you planning on driving the coach? Driving 4K a year may not justify the cost. If you purchase Michelin tires, join FMCA and use their Advantage Program. You save $s.

If I post my used tires on Craigslist and specify the manufacture date, is there someone out there that might find a purpose for them? Remote possibility, but that is what CL is all about. There is something for everyone.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #8

when i bought tires last Aug ( FMCA Michelins), the price for continentals was a small difference.

XZE's are less$ than XRV's
Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #9

Toyo's are a very good alternative to Michelins. They are excellent tires and if you search previous threads, you will find this to be true from owners, as myself.

They are way cheaper. Mine cost $2500 for six 22.5 M154's complete. Change them all at once.

If you sell the used tires, I would not sell them to a buyer other than some kind of farm operation or private property use. If those tires blow and cause an accident, injury or even death, it's just not fair to the driving public to allow them to be used by gamblers that think it will be OK. It could be your family member in harms way. Best thing to do is scrap them. IMO
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycon9 View Post
when i bought tires last Aug ( FMCA Michelins), the price for continentals was a small difference.

XZE's are less$ than XRV's
That is interesting. I bought the two new continentals in Aug 2012 If I recall correctly and I am not sure my memory is that good. But they quoted the Michelins at somewhere around 950 each plus mounting.
Goodyear at 850.00 each plus mounting.
Continental 550.00 each plus mounting. I am pretty sure of the continental price because I bought those but that is what I think I was quoted for the good year and the Michelins.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ooooooh Boy.... Starting a controversy here. First of, same advice, check those dates. If less than 10 years, get them inspected. If good, run them till they are 10. DOT does not allow them to be retread after 10 years for a reason.

As for TPMS if you can afford it, fine. But, nothing beats checking the tire pressure every
Time before you move it. I feel that most tire problems can be avoided this way. It's much
Better to check tire pressure BEFORE each trip than relying on a TPMS.

Many people just like the peace of mind, and no one can argue with that.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #12

Unless you are planning on putting a ton of miles on it I'd buy a set of Hercules tires, if you only use yours a few times in the summer like I do it doesn't make any sense to pay thousands of dollars for tires that are going to need to be replaced because of age with probably 75% tread left on them.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought Toyo's at Les Schwab, saved $1300 over Michelin's. They paid me for my old tires. They sell them for off road farm use as long as they will hold air.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
....If you sell the used tires, I would not sell them to a buyer other than some kind of farm operation or private property use. If those tires blow and cause an accident, injury or even death, it's just not fair to the driving public to allow them to be used by gamblers that think it will be OK. It could be your family member in harms way. Best thing to do is scrap them. IMO
X2 on this. The whole reason you're swapping is because the old tires have reached unacceptable reliability levels. The last thing you need is to have your old tires mounted by some gypsy trucker or two-bit construction outfit and running through some highway at 80+.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote