Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 AM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alaska Bound Need Advice

I have just received a job offer in Anchorage. I want to take my Class A up with family and pets. Here is the kicker with school and stuff the best time for us to move is Christmas break.
1. Has anyone ever traveled the road to Alaska in the Dead of Winter and if so how was the camp sites and logistics of gas and food?
2. My RV has the Grey and Black tank heaters how to do you keep the fresh water from freezing?

My other option is to come back in spring to drive up RV.
Any advise would be great

2016 Georgetown 364TS
snoodledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would take option B ( spring ). Good luck with your new job.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Option B. It will only take one storm on the way to really foul your plans up in a BIG WAY.
Monaco 2004 Signature 45' Castle IV Detroit 60
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
Most if not all campgrounds will be closed. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the more remote gas stops will be closed also.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
I started this reply and soon learned that the steps and are more than I type out

I traveled the road on TWO different trips both during January only we did it in a two car convoy both times. First don't worry about gas everyone needs gas and some yes close but our motorhome has a longer range than any of the car or van we drove.
I would thank that heat inside the couch would be limited from the dash, looking at a possible -20 or even - 40 as we did on our trip south leaving Fairbanks, I would check to see just how much propane is needed to run both of my heaters 24/7 with a more amount for cooking and hot water We have nice heat in holding tanks but I would thank they wouldnt hold up under those temps but one could add heat pads to tanks. But you would need electric power, and running the generator 24/7 is possible as we have during summer travel thru the south when wife needed AIR
Your real trip would In my view start in Calgary Canada, until in my trips Fairbanks.. 2000 miles, at 35 mph in your MH, that's about 57 hours drive time... And in the dark... Lol. Just came to mine that , oh ya don't forget the shorter day light, this is a 5 day trip with 12 hour drive days, our generator needs 1/2 gal per hour at least so you would need 3/4 save factor, all cars need a engine block heater of some type and your MH also, plugged into power during hours of off time. Generator would work that, generator budget 18 gal per day, cost 1.35 liter, fill up tank OFTEN, sleep after fill up and fill up again when awake.

You didn't say anything about TOWING a car... Lord

I only really see only one issue, the damn snow....
It's the snow on the road that builds up on the edges, making the lanes smaller. And this will cause you to drive even more into the center. Chains wouldn't help the snow and the heavy couch is in my view is enough,

My daughter just drove out our old 1997 gas class c Winn, this past July moving to Va.

If I was going to MOVE up north again ( spent 9 years in Fairbanks ) I would give it thought with the following ideas,
Move to AK alone until summer, drive up together summer
Fly family up, YOU drive alone, maybe faster and less stress alone.

Other than following some upgrades to the MH, heat pads, engine block, plenty of gas for generator, I would do it.
But I'm pretty sure I would do it, hay just to prove the NA SAYERS wrong, if you go alone give me a call, we could do it about none stop

Pictures are not mine
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411220371.778457.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	74383Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411220386.019773.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	74384Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411220399.002311.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	74385Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411220411.099520.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	74386
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Thor ace 30.2,
Ok gas

Trouble is water and holding tanks for 4 people, above freeze zone to fill dump through Canada or even northern states

Fresh 50
Gray 40
Black 28

More reasons to drive alone, enough water for coffee, flush only water when needed, and hell no shower for week isn't something I haven't done since in the army

Jerry and Donna
1997 FW Bounder 35U
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
I spent 9 years plowing Highway 97 at Quesnel,B.C. - do NOT drive in the winter without chains on. Not only is the road difficult, some of the truckers are down right dangerous. Its dark, slippery and unnerving. If you think its difficult to get tire service on the road, try it in the winter, in the middle of nowhere. Wait til spring and make a wonderful relaxed trip!
HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Option B for sure!

Back in May 2012 I drove 50 miles of the Alaskan Highway in a snow storm north of Haines Junction until reaching Kluane Lake near Destruction Bay where it then cleared.

I will NEVER do that again in a 40 foot coach towing a 30 foot trailer. I will pull over at a safe location and wait it out.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
No one mentioned option C drive to WA put it on the ferry and ride up the inside passage it is a cool trip not cheap but then neither is option A or B.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
X2 I wouldn't attempt it by road in the winter after having driven in the north for a good portion of my life. Along with the cold and I mean COLD you could be dealing with an unbelievable amount of snow as you approach the coast.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
Some things not mentioned are that at 40 below you have no propane heat or any propane useability. So unless you have a diesel fired heat source you could freeze to death in your RV. The cold and harsh roads will break your suspension into pieces fast. This is not a trip for the family it IMHO would be the road trip from hell even for those of us who have spent their entire lives in the north.

So as I see you can A fly up by yourself get the job and settle in then go get the family and RV in the summer.
B fly the whole family up and go back and get the RV and your stuff in the summer.
or C take the family and the RV on the Ferry and enjoy the chance to see the coast and whales on the trip. even in winter it is beautiful.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
Entegra Owners Club
Looks like the OP has gotten a big helping of good advice. I hope he takes these recommendations serously.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
As a life long Alaskan who's driven the "highway" over 20 times, DON'T do it! We got hit with a blizzard in late April, brakes froze up when we were parked and temps were only in the 20's. By the way, Alaska State ferry only goes as far as Haines - you would have the coldest part of the highway yet to drive.
New to us '04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat will be towing a '14 Sonic 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '05 Dodge 3500 Cummins, '09 Subaru Outback, plus a few other toys that help us get around in Alaska.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
You're not seriously considering this are you????

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote