Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #15
We drove to AK in 2012 in a caravan group. Some had the full-width flap, some removed it, one had the gravel guard that looks like a screen between MH hitch and towed. The one with the screen made the entire trip without any rock damage to the towed, can't say the same for the other MH's. Before our next AK trip we'll have one too, and the full-width flap removed.
One thing some of the MH's experienced was rocks thrown up into the engine compartment. I've read where some install the heavy 1/4" screen wire under the engine compartment to prevent that.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #16
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't comment about driving on Alaskan roads, but we just completed a 2,500 mile trip without the rear flap (my coach does have wheel mud flaps) and the rear of the coach as well as the toad were noticeable cleaner. Seeing as how I took the rear flap off because it was curling on one corner, I will probably just junk it. Looks like I'm running flap-free from now on.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #17
One answer does not fit all! How low the rear is. How far there rear of the coach is from the rear wheels. Having mud flaps or not having mud flaps. How high the rear rock guard is off the ground. As mentioned, solid vs slotted, vs grass.

All of these make a difference in how rocks and gravel will impact the toad.

OK, we have a 40' coach with tags, it's an 04 Country Coach. It does have mud flaps behind the Tag. We removed there rear solid flap.

We have less gravel at the base of our Honda CRV windshield with the rear solid guard removed.

We did Alaska in 2014, and talked with a few members of a group tour that we ran into three of four times. And I think all of my differences above, as reflected by the mix of coaches these people owned, confirmed that no one answer exists. Some had rear solid guards with no problems. Some had them, and had problems. (These appeared to be units with longer tail hang from the rear wheels to where the guard was hanging. More chances for them to drag and toss up gravel/rocks.)

We did have gravel on ours. I almost added a temporary cover to our front half of our CRV. But, the dings in the paint after two coaches and about 60K miles of towing, were already there. Figured I will get it painted someday in the future, so did not add a wrap. Those that thad done so that I talked with, had pretty good results. Worth checking into as a low cost way of protecting the toad.

All that being said, let me also share that you can get as much damage by trucks passing you, either form behind or coming at you, then you will get from your own rig tossing up rocks. We did fine on our way North. On our way South, we had one long section South of the Alaskan border, where we over the period of maybe 45 mins - had our most damage. Lost two fog lights, and added a few good size chips to both the rigs windscreen, and the toads too. The truck drivers hauling rocks and gravel for construction, were coming flying at us. Even pulling over and stopping, was not enough to save us!

It's the luck of the draw, some have damage, some don't. Slow down, drive for the conditions. Use common sense in prepping for the trip. But do go do the trip, knocks, bruises and all - it is a grand experience!!

Best to all, have fun, be safe,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Could someone give me the name of a good rear wheel rubber Mud Flap . ( not the full length one). I have winnebago 2015 27 N .
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #19
Duraflap makes all kinds of mud flaps for motorhomes. Full length and wheel flaps.
Motorhome Mud Flaps And RV Mudflaps
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #20

This is my experience with the full width flap. When I purchased this RV the full width flap was in the basement compartment. It had been damaged so I did not install it. After towing the Mini and a CRV I noticed chips on the front of the cars. I started using Protect A Tow and that reduced paint chip damage. When driving at highway speeds I could see the Protect A Tow in the real camera kind of flying around because of the air pressure. About three weeks ago I repaired the full width flap and installed it. I have about 900 miles thus far using both the mud flap and the Protect A Tow. The Protect A Tow does not fly around like it did before I installed the full width flap but lays pretty flat. I think using the full width flap would be a good idea - at least it is for me. It appears to force air to the sides and maybe up into the engine compartment away from directly out the rear of the RV.

As a side note I did not install the full width flap to resolve the concern with the Protect A Tow floating around but with the thought that having the full width flap would force more air up and into or through the rear radiator for improving cooling. I don't know if that really helps but I'd suspect it does.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #21
We towed our Wrangler to Alaska last June. There was a washed out section about 10 miles long with oiled gravel as a temporary repair. $5000 damage to the wrangler. Headlights, fog lights, windsheild, and paint badly chipped. We threw the guard on our Safari Simba away as recommended by a shop in Whitehorse, YT. Bought 2 yoga mats and put one on the windsheild by slamming it in the doors and bunged the other one on the grill. No further damage. We have a new to us coach this year with mud guards behind the tires and the solid guard. Bought a Roadmaster Guardian and will use the yoga mat on the windshield. I have in the past cracked the MH windsheild with rocks thrown up by oncoming long haul rigs. Got a no deductible windsheild policy for that. Just slow down on bad stretches. Alaska is worth the the trouble. We have done the trip about six times and sometimes the roads are great and sometimes not so.
Hawaii Dick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I wish someone would do a scientific test to determine the effects of having that guard on a MH. It's my contention that it is primarily an advertisement for the manuf, but I have no evidence to back it up.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #23

Sounds like a job for Mythbusters!
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #24
American Coach Owners Club
We did our Alaska trip in 2011. Full rock guard on the back of the MH mounted 4" from the road surface. Also had mud flaps behind MH's rear duals. Protect A Tow installed for the trip and towing a Wrangler. On roads that had repair gravel breaks, we had three or four pounds of rock/gravel on top of the Protect A Tow at the end of our day. I think that was a result of the gap between the front bumper and the fenders of the Jeep allowing the front tires to pick up the rocks and throw them forward...though I not sure. Still, it doesn't explain the frontal dings to the Jeep and it's windshield by flying gravel.

We also had some MH windshield damage caused by vandals driving small pickup trucks towing small empty trailers. This happened twice in Canada within about 10 miles of each other. They both moved over into our lane, coming from the opposite direction. Then, at the last moment whipped back into their lane sliding the empty trailer sideways and slinging gravel and rocks all over us causing rock dings in the windshield. We met a Blue Bird owner in Chicken that had the same thing happen to him...only he had WS glass all the way back to the mid lavatory - his DW was not in her seat, otherwise she could have been injured.

On the TOK Cuttoff, we were on a long gravel break and an oncoming tractor-trailer peaked over the hill. As soon as he saw us, the black smoke poured out of his stacks...I knew what was coming. I pulled over to the side as far as possible and stopped. He came into our lane and just missed us by two feet doing over sixty mph. Strike three...

Just be aware that some do not like RVs on 'their' roadways. That said, when we find our next MH, we'll be going back for another three months...what a backyard!
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #25
Commercial Member
Just a note of things to come. We have filed a patent pending, and are now actively working on a system to be able to lift the rear mud flap up under the coach when going up steep drives, or traveling down uneven gravel roads. This will take some time to complete the design, but we will let everyone know when it is available.
Nina, Grants Pass, OR
DuraFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by DuraFlap View Post
Just a note of things to come. We have filed a patent pending, and are now actively working on a system to be able to lift the rear mud flap up under the coach when going up steep drives, or traveling down uneven gravel roads. This will take some time to complete the design, but we will let everyone know when it is available.

Nice! Please let us know when it's available. We are planning to visit Alaska in 2017.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #27
We're thinking about taking the guard off and leaving it in storage before we leave Portland for Alaska next month.
Hawaii Dick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
There is also the ongoing argument with how those with rear radiators fare compared to those with side radiators. Small gravel picked up and thrown into the rad fan can get blasted into the radiator with a rear rad setup. Might be a possible consideration as well??

2002 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD, Avalanche toad, Glastron MX175 , X5 BMW, Almost enough toys, 3 dogs. 1 longtime wife(48 yrs)
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote